Well this is a kick in the nuts: VST2 plug-ins

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Markus Krause wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:06 am As Urs said: Steinberg continuously ignores the problems.
Or worse, they genuinely don't think of them as problems.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

chk071 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:59 pm I think you're overreacting a "little". And I don't think you speak for the majority at all either. Rather extreme.
yeah i got fired up about it, because i honestly think its a ridiculous situation, and probably most of you should be more miffed about it

and you know what, i'll speak without any hyperbole at all because i know it inflames you guys

if in lieu of all other possible actions to be taken—im talking about the ones with even remote plausibility not the crazy fired up language ones—failing those, if even some level of solidarity of expressing grievances could cause enough pressure to get them to at least course correct and back off from carrying out some of the grubbier stuff they are angling to do

because it seems to me that steinberg has control over the destiny of a lot of people's livelihood in a way that is really not warranted, and it seems that they're gearing up to exert that power in a way not in the best interests of many here and that their priorities are all over the place

it honestly does make me want personally take it up as a cause. im obviously not going to, except maybe the forum thing for my amusement. but if i was ya'll i'd be trying to get together to have some pretty frank discussions about what might be done. the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' days of steinberg seem to be drawing to a close, and that forum thread of shocked developers trying to gauge the future of their livelihood while their media guy explained cheerfully over and over just where they were going to stick it almost made me sick. i had actually forgotten vst2 was still proprietary until just today

by the way, this forum is filled with trifling dorks, the lot of you. ooooooOoo dont say that they'll lock the thread tee-hee. anything to bog you down in technicalities and not actually engage with the substance of what you're saying

it had been ages since i'd been here, dunno why i logged in lol

well I guess you told us huh? This place has some amazing people, a ton of talent, the best devs in the world gathering her, incredible knowledge base...but yeah your trolling right there isnt trifling :roll:

Hink wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:21 pm well I guess you told us huh? This place has some amazing people, a ton of talent, the best devs in the world gathering her, incredible knowledge base...but yeah your trolling right there isnt trifling :roll:
when in rome baby.

honestly all i was trying to do was drum up some testosterone about the situation, but since the mood seems to be 'shut up, we like it' i'll just see myself out

Well, you know, I think it's pretty clear that a de facto industry standard must not be subject to a license that can be revoked unilaterally by one of the players in that industry.

Many of us are heavily invested in this, musicians, host developers and plug-in developers. The lesson to learn here is that ownership of a proprietary format is threatening that investment, for what we can only assume is shareholder value of no benefit to anyone's sacrifice.

Therefore, I think this needs to end. I think Steinberg's best option is to place VST2.4 in the public domain.

I did think it a bit odd that I caught some tude for not expecting my host to drop VST2 any time soon. I like that PD option. If wishes was fishes
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Urs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:17 pmTherefore, I think this needs to end. I think Steinberg's best option is to place VST2.4 in the public domain.
Yeah but that won't ever happen... I mean, it would be great, but I don't see it happening...

melomood wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:29 pmIf wishes was fishes
It's an opportunity to come out good. A way out.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:17 pmTherefore, I think this needs to end. I think Steinberg's best option is to place VST2.4 in the public domain.
Yeah but that won't ever happen... I mean, it would be great, but I don't see it happening...
I'm sure Ableton and NI can negotiate special terms. But in the end, everyone is better off with a plug-in format that is not controlled by a single key player. The more pressure, the more likely it'll happen. If Steinberg puts VST2 in the public domain, at least they could maybe preserve their legacy *and* bring VST3 forward.

As I said, plug-in developers can not drop VST2 compatibility and risk to render two decades of customer projects go poof. We don't have Apple to help with the grief when it happened in Logic (and I really feel I'd rather be loyal to my users than advance VST3 for someone else's shareholder value).

Urs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:17 pm Therefore, I think this needs to end. I think Steinberg's best option is to place VST2.4 in the public domain.
+1
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

kamalmanzukie wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:04 pm
Hink wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:21 pm well I guess you told us huh? This place has some amazing people, a ton of talent, the best devs in the world gathering her, incredible knowledge base...but yeah your trolling right there isnt trifling :roll:
when in rome baby.

honestly all i was trying to do was drum up some testosterone about the situation, but since the mood seems to be 'shut up, we like it' i'll just see myself out
by calling people dorks? That's right, it's all of us and not you...gotcha.

"when in rome baby. " and "since the mood seems to be 'shut up"

when in rome baby :lol:

FigBug wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:17 pm This topic seems to come up every few months. But then everybody seems to realise coming up with a new plugin format, implementing it, promoting it, getting the DAW developers to implement it, getting JUCE to implement it, getting plugin developers on board is a lot of work. And then since it's going to be free and open, there is no reward for all the work, it idea quickly dies again.

I think the regulars on this forums are pretty burnt out on the topic.

The question nobody seems to be able to answer: If I do all the work to support another new plugin format, how many more plugins will I sell?
I think it depends more on plugin's quality than format.
And I have no illusions about LV2 oficial support in JUCE, FOH the fork is alive and peolpe builds LV2 JUCE plugins, time will tell.

What is another thing with another one format - is support. Even now:
User complains on AU version. You go to Mac with AU host and test it.
User complains on 32-bit plugin version. You go to 32 bit windows PC.
Etc

Then with new format.
User complains about crashes of LV2 version. You go to investigate and after all realize that bug is in the user's clumsy self-build host. :)

Urs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:17 pm Therefore, I think this needs to end. I think Steinberg's best option is to place VST2.4 in the public domain.
Brilliant idea :tu:
+1

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”