Favorite Fully-Weighted Midi Keyboard? (61 keys & upwards)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Getting a bit tired of semi-weighted keys and clicky subpar action; any keyboards y'all would recommend? No bells and whistles needed, just satisfying, velocity sensitive keys with a midi &/or usb out.

Budget? Because while the best I’ve used has to be the Kawai VPC1 ... I’m not sure if that price will appeal.

edit: And that’s for “piano touch”, which is what I assume you mean by “fully weighted” ...

kvotchin wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:45 am Budget? Because while the best I’ve used has to be the Kawai VPC1 ... I’m not sure if that price will appeal.

edit: And that’s for “piano touch”, which is what I assume you mean by “fully weighted” ...
Relatively budget if possible yeah, not looking to spend 2 racks on a midi controller. It may just simply not be possible given the price point, but if there's any smaller boards that imitate piano touch, hammer action, & overall just a more organic feel, I'm all ears.

FWIW, I adore my Studiologic SL73 studio. I got it about a year ago to practice my piano skills. It's great and relatively cheap.
https://www.studiologic-music.com/produ ... keyboards/
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

kvotchin wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:45 am Budget? Because while the best I’ve used has to be the Kawai VPC1 ... I’m not sure if that price will appeal.

That is the one I have since years and it's the best one I played on so far.

If an E-Piano works for you, the Korg D1 has an excellent keyboard in a slim stage-piano form factor. The keyboard is arguably better than anything you will find at the price point (around 600 €). It's the same keyboard that Korg uses in their top-of-the-line products. If you watch reviews on Youtube you will find many piano players ranking this as the best action.

Otherwise, the features are limited when you compare it to a real master keyboard. You get Midi connectors (DIN), but no USB, and no aftertouch.

I like the Roland key action so I'd recommend checking out the fp series digital pianos. They all can be used with midi.

Once Upon A Synth did a review of the Roland fp10 while using it in midi mode:

https://youtu.be/HXgnoEfaoZU

sadly the roland rd64 is dicontinued - it was sold as a 'compact' fully weighted electric piano but same action and functionality as their a88 mk1 controller (just not so big/heavy). The A88 mkII is nice - depends if you want a full 88 note controller though

Fatar TP40 Keybed.

Which for me it's a Studiologic VMK188+.
The newer version of a which should be their SL88 Grand. (But I have the SL88 Studio [TP100] sitting above my VMK, which is a very nice "in-between" feel of the weighted/semi-weighted.)

My spouse is using an Arturia Keylab Essential 88 though, which is semi-weighted, and I find it is quite alright in the weight, but have noticed the length of the keys is something to adjust to. (Which is the only reason I bring it up.)

So check the size of the keys as well.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”