Making music artwork. Alternatives to Adobe?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:15 pm
smd12 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:44 pm I use Corel Painter, Paintshop and Draw. They do have subscription service but you can you don't have to do it.
best option financially, if things arent urgent, is wait and buy them all for £20 or whatever from Humble Bundle...
I can probably stretch to £72 for the 3 Affinity apps in the meantime.

Considering how much we spend on audio plugins, that's not that much actually. After watching quite a few Affinity tutorials, I bought the suite yesterday.

Affinity. You can also find many quality tutorials just like adobe.

I'm browsing the additional stuff the Affinity store sells. GASing at additions for graphics software, I never thought I'd experience such feeling... :scared:

e@rs wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:24 pm I'm browsing the additional stuff the Affinity store sells. GASing at additions for graphics software, I never thought I'd experience such feeling... :scared:
Cool! Have fun! :tu:

(My favourite is the ability to add an arbitrary number of star beams in Designer. The filters in Photo are quite versatile, and within easy reach. Some good thinking there.)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Personally, I use PS, Painter, Gimp, all of the Affinity stuff as well as Twisted Brush, Art Rage, Clip Studio Paint, some stuff from Toon Boom Animation and Black Ink https://blackink.bleank.com/ Heh I think that's it.

* I use an older wacom tablet and stylus as well, because I can actually draw and paint well.
(heh sry that last bit was a knod to another thread that I happened to read that I'm not
gonna point out :hihi: )

Affinity all the way. Got rid of my CC sub a couple years and never looked back!

For many, getting rid of the Adobe stuff is not an option due to client constraints. I keep it deactivated most of the time save for the photo sub, which is like $9 per month and I've had it since they started it. I just reactivate the full sub when I need to use something. Though it's been a while and I need to update to win 10 before I can use most of it. :shrug:

*The adobe stuff is still generally better, despite some great alternatives.
Last edited by pekbro on Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--

pekbro wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:09 pm For many, getting rid of the Adobe stuff is not an option due to client constraints. I keep it deactivated most of the time save for the photo sub, which is like $9 per month and I've had it since they started it. I just reactivate the full sub when I need to use something. Though it's been a while and I need to update to win 10 before I can use most of it. :shrug:
You can do pretty much anything Photoshop does with "GIMP". To do this,
however, you have to get involved with the slightly different operation and
the peculiarities of GIMP.

With customers who still use Photoshop, you can easily agree on an
intermediate format such as TIFF, which works wonderfully.
pekbro wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:09 pm *The adobe stuff is still generally better, despite some great alternatives.
This is your personal opinion.

I see it differently. Adobe may be the market leader, but there are so many
other software tools out there that are just as good - e.g. GIMP and KRITA.

And - to say the least:

The super-new HEIF format from Apple cannot be opened by Photoshop,
but GIMP can open HEIF- and HEIC-files. GIMP is just more professional. :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:17 am You can do pretty much anything Photoshop does with "GIMP".
CMYK yet?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

^ just convert using krita
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

enroe wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:17 am
pekbro wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:09 pm For many, getting rid of the Adobe stuff is not an option due to client constraints. I keep it deactivated most of the time save for the photo sub, which is like $9 per month and I've had it since they started it. I just reactivate the full sub when I need to use something. Though it's been a while and I need to update to win 10 before I can use most of it. :shrug:
You can do pretty much anything Photoshop does with "GIMP". To do this,
however, you have to get involved with the slightly different operation and
the peculiarities of GIMP.

With customers who still use Photoshop, you can easily agree on an
intermediate format such as TIFF, which works wonderfully.
pekbro wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:09 pm *The adobe stuff is still generally better, despite some great alternatives.
This is your personal opinion.

I see it differently. Adobe may be the market leader, but there are so many
other software tools out there that are just as good - e.g. GIMP and KRITA.

And - to say the least:

The super-new HEIF format from Apple cannot be opened by Photoshop,
but GIMP can open HEIF- and HEIC-files. GIMP is just more professional. :tu:
Well not really, but whatever, take my word for it or don't. :shrug:

Open Source zealots rock.

Serif Labs have launched version 2 of their Affinity apps (Designer, Photo, and Publisher) at 40% off ($40.99 USD each) - https://affinity.serif.com

FWIW, no upgrades or discounts for having version 1 licenses, but they're also offering a $99.99 USD universal license covering all apps and platforms (macOS, Windows & iPadOS).

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”