"begin to howl" (& now NEW Howl, 2.1): piano/drums/electroacoust./up.bass

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

howl - one render

nah, don't worry about the alt render

There is this mystery section, the last section, where Absynth is doing very different things playback to playback.
at least 3 different pieces of music come out of it. It's I think the wildest thing I've seen digitally if not ever.
I hope it renders like that, I would even place one after the other. Either way this has some very weird sonorities and harmonic shifts.

I'm leaning towards going back to the groove section where the other whole new section is.
anything can happen in the outer space this gets up to in the end (still true but it does end now)

I have been at this fucken thing since December. Huge technical problems, & a stuck period... but during this time, and this why this is such a whacko piece, I had several pretty different ideas I wanted to do. I was stubborn and wanted it all available at once. (It's a stupid amount of stuff to have loaded at once, but on paper I have headroom.)
So it lurches from idea to idea; hence probably more of the stupid groove and let it breathe, I have lots of things in mind over that slow groove. Mix seems tolerable. Drums probably too loud in a couple spots.

this is a version 1, finished.
v.2 purports to have a section after the howl coming out of the loud outburst;
of that slow groove but more than a couple bars

yeah, nah
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:47 am, edited 7 times in total.

started it, but im going to leave it till tomorrow.
needs some oomph! in the volume department at my end, its quite late here ;)

ok
warning, the last section is lousy with crime

last section changed radically, to something final. and more consonant, although that simple word is not all that good for this.
there are still similar surprises, but it relaxes.

done with the composition of this version. In fact I'm about to create a video and publish it.
In this case, as opposed to the last couple of cases, I'm very likely to reiterate one or two things and go further. But the orchestration of the last section is more compelling as far as the next thing I'm about to do. I found the single render finally to have as preferable an Absynth result as I really need to worry about. Yes, some of the serious difference is reflected in renders.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i hadn't forgotten!
just yesterday was day after the jab, felt rough as feck! will get to it when i go up :tu:

thanks for keeping up

instrumentation...
Grand piano, the 97 key Bosendorfer Imperial, VSL in the Synchron Player release.
Drums...
wait, this list is going to be far too long
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

well, im glad i waited :tu:
definitely needed both volume and decent playback system :)

and yup, like to make sure people dont think ive forgotten them if ive said ill do something, may sometimes take me longer than i intend but ill get things done :hihi:

first the drums, im not usually a fan of drums, but here theyre not "keeping time" as such, theres more going on, although they are of course in time, i could hear the hat holding everything in place :tu:
and that piano, wow thats lovely, some real bottom in the notes, as if its actually resonating in a piano body. nice quality indeed.
and the last part, that gets a bit eerie.

follows through nicely, even though the parts are very different! and do change quite suddenly, you still manage to not lose the listener, jar them perhaps, but not throw them off. great stuff as always, space jazz orch! 8)

thank you

I'm rather pleased with this. The piano is insanely realistic. Those bass notes are nuts.
One thing that I got to happen is the piano (cf. that bass) seems like it's making the snares on the snare drum rattle. It's really part of the bleed spill and resonance spill of the drum kit. A byproduct of the piano/drums workflow and identicality.

I've become a strong believer in keeping time with the hat pedal, making complex things less difficult to follow.

I have a massive wind orchestra in this but much of it does like one thing for color or reinforcement.

The fun stuff involved these weird libraries that add harmonics and dissonance by the mod wheel. Orchestral Tools has these little components of this whole Jeff Russo thing that cost very little individually (I mean like 15 or 30 euro), such as the "low flutes ensemble" and also from their Creative sets; eg., weird, very grainy choir combos, very texture-oriented new things. So I had notions of using things sooner rather than later and eventually designed something that used a hell of a lot of my toys.
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I really enjoyed this, and I was wondering what the piano sound was from, it does sound very realistic. This is really well put together, I can see why it took so long. :)
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

Hi, thanks very much.

Putting finishing touches and correcting a couple mistakes today

the piano should sound good, it cost a lot of money and takes up a lot of space :)

Ok, finished w. this version

You're welcome.
jancivil wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:45 am the piano should sound good, it cost a lot of money and takes up a lot of space :)
:lol:
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

>138GB for one piano
obscene, I know

one makes sacrifices

https://youtu.be/n9cQ8i7pCgg

mystery failure to convert to HD
reupping, I have one guess at why
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nice :)
yeah, the piano does indeed sound like it's in a room with the drums :tu:
that's what a lot of sample libs miss, the ability to have them react to each other.
even in a drum kit, id like some way to get that "annoying" snare sound you get when someone plays bass in the room!
(i say annoying, because as an engineer, i was trained it was bad, but as an artist, i hear something that adds presence in certain situations.
and also as a possible sound source of it's own, who knows....

nice video too, simple but effective, the colours work well with the sounds. 8)

can take no credit for the video, it's iTunes Classic visualizer. Some unimaginably genius acidhead wrote that thing, I guess.

I'd get into trouble if I sold the videos. It's possibly illegal what I'm doing.
my pound of flesh in the deal

I'd like it to really be the snares vibrated by the other things in the room. MIR Pro uses Ambisonics technology to get instruments reflecting off a room properly, but that only goes so far; you'd need the sympathetic vibrations and their excitation (threshold, amount etc) modeled, then some kind of input. it's doable I think. I don't know the IKMM modeled drums product, if they tried to do that internally. But it isn't going to happen soon with a samples product if even feasible.

Return to “Music Cafe”