Recommendations for an affordable (shortscale) bass

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Like many guitar players I secretly wish I could be a bass player ... :D
So my goal for this year is to start to learn playing the bass.
Every time I had my hands on a proper bass though, I found it a bit too big and uncomfortable. I don’t have the biggest hands either.

Now I learned that there are shortscale basses, too, which sounds definitely interesting.

So my question: Does anyone have a recommendation for a general purpose shortscale bass in the sub 500€-range?
Are there any downsides to shortscales?

Thanks!

I picked up a Fender Mustang PJ about a year ago and really like it, I think it’s not made anymore but there is still a Mustang bass, just different pickups. You may find a PJ in stock somewhere as well. No downsides for me, in fact, I got rid of my full scale bass after. The sound is great, still nice and beefy. Good luck.

Höfner Ignition Beatle Bass.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Like many guitar players I secretly wish I could be a bass player ... :D
So my goal for this year is to start to learn playing the bass.
Every time I had my hands on a proper bass though, I found it a bit too big and uncomfortable. I don’t have the biggest hands either.

Same here. I play short scale basses exclusively. I have a vintage Kay & a Danelectro that I love to pieces. But I also had an Epiphone EB-0. SG shaped, (I love SG's!), very easy to play, great tone and value. Gretsch also makes a very nice affordable shorty.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

https://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU0310902
Squire Bronco
best of luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Nothing wrong with short scale, some lovely basses avaliable.

That said, I prefer full scale. When I first picked up a bass I too found it uncomfortable, especially holding it and trying to play like a regular guitar, it felt massive. That was my first mistake - don't carry it exactly like a guitar, maybe shift it higher. Also, hold your hands and arm slightly differently. Search around for beginner guides. Finally, one-note-per-fret is tricky at the low end of the neck, so try a different approach and/or pivot your hand around rather than stretching the full span with your fingers like trying to play a chord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdrDozdlEWc

You don't need to be tall/have big hands to play full scale bass, you just need decent technique and practice. It's not just a 4-string guitar, I think you need to approach it a bit differently.

Anyway, bass is great so enjoy whatever 6you get.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:32 am ..
That said, I prefer full scale. When I first picked up a bass I too found it uncomfortable, especially holding it and trying to play like a regular guitar, it felt massive. That was my first mistake - don't carry it exactly like a guitar, maybe shift it higher. Also, hold your hands and arm slightly differently. Search around for beginner guides. Finally, one-note-per-fret is tricky at the low end of the neck, so try a different approach and/or pivot your hand around rather than stretching the full span with your fingers like trying to play a chord.

You don't need to be tall/have big hands to play full scale bass, you just need decent technique and practice. It's not just a 4-string guitar, I think you need to approach it a bit differently.
You're probably right, there must be loads of bass players who don't have monster hands and they get by :lol:
Full scale might open up the used market where you most likely don't find as many short scales on offer...

fese wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:10 pm
revvy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:32 am ..

You're probably right, there must be loads of bass players who don't have monster hands and they get by :lol:
Full scale might open up the used market where you most likely don't find as many short scales on offer...
Yup.

BTW I meant to say one finger per feet can be tricky, not one note per feet. I think basses do ok for one note per fret :)
Last edited by revvy on Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

fese wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:10 pm]
Google pics of Suzi quattro or Tina Weymouth ;)

Having said that I bought a cheap short scale to jam on, broke my left wrist as a kid and have scar tissue that makes any guitar playing a bit uncomfortable, especially full size bass. The strings are looser so maybe not as twangy but if it's good enough for McCartney and Watt. :)

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-B ... burst/1YJX

I got my son a short scale bass kit (Fender P-bass clone) from TheFretWire a while back. It turned out to be a surprisingly decent instrument, but when you throw in the price of finishing supplies the Squire might be less expensive.

Ibanez PNB14E is an electric-acoustic bass guitar which sounds great, is easy to play due to its strings and size and it's cheap.
I'm a guitarist so I needed something to lay down bass tracks. I tried and owned a Kala U-Bass, a full size acoustic bass, Fender Jazz Bass and finally the Ibanez PNB14E turned out to be something I kept and I still enjoy playing it.

Monsum wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:55 pm Ibanez PNB14E is an electric-acoustic bass guitar which sounds great, is easy to play due to its strings and size and it's cheap.
I'm a guitarist so I needed something to lay down bass tracks. I tried and owned a Kala U-Bass, a full size acoustic bass, Fender Jazz Bass and finally the Ibanez PNB14E turned out to be something I kept and I still enjoy playing it.
I’ve seem that before, it looks like fun! I’ve actually played another Ibanez Minibass once in a store, I really liked it but it was +500 and fretless :D . Couldn’t find it anymore.

I already have an Ukubass, a really cheap one from Harley Benton/Thomann. It sounds surprisingly nice when recorded, but isn’t really fun to play due to those weird plastic strings and the overall cheap-ish feeling. How is that onyour Ibanez?

fese wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:36 am I already have an Ukubass, a really cheap one from Harley Benton/Thomann. It sounds surprisingly nice when recorded, but isn’t really fun to play due to those weird plastic strings and the overall cheap-ish feeling. How is that onyour Ibanez?
As I said I love grabbing the Ibanez and playing it, it's so much fun and surprisingly sounds good recorded.
It doesn't have plastic strings like U-basses but Taylor strings which were especially designed for their GS mini Bass.
The strings feel is a bit too flexible for my taste but you can get used to it. The advantage is how easy it plays, more like a guitar than full size bass. The Ibanez is not good for slapping but any other techniques sound great.
If you have a chance to test one I definitely recommend it.

I made a couple videos a while back with it:
https://youtu.be/BiE69WrmhzA
https://youtu.be/-3VNZqRNc6c

As a guitarist, you'll be wanting something with the proper number of strings. 4 is so....boooring..

https://www.revelationguitars.co.uk/guitar/rjt-60-b/

Also available in Fiesta Red I hear.

So I finally got the Ibanez PBN14E this week. 224€, you really can’t complain, you get a lot for it. Quality is definitely better than I expected for the price. And it’s about the size of my acoustic guitars, so I have no problem playing it on the couch :)
Sounds a bit “harder” than I expected, but that might be because of the new strings, dunno.
Thanks for the recommendation, Monsum!
Now I only need to learn to play bass ;)

Return to “Guitars”