Midi Program Change & Midi Song Select

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I tried to work with both devices mentioned in my title above but I can’t get any results. I’m not familiar on how to use both devices.

So How can I use them properly? what do both devices are useful for?

Which plugin do you want to control? They need to support it...

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:48 pm Which plugin do you want to control? They need to support it...
as I understand that:
"Midi Program Change" can select the devices presets index & can be automated.
"Midi Song Select" can change the position of the playback cursor to different
locations in the project also via automation.

However in my case I'm using the ARP after "Midi Program Change" in order to change the Arp's presets to load different ARP variation on the fly from single ARP device, instead of loading several ARP's devices then switch between them via automation (Switch on/off as for every device receives it's turn) & this will consumes lots of CPU unlike switching presets from one device to do the same thing. but I'm not sure if this may cause clicking issues.

anyway do both devices work only with VST or vice versa or with both?

So how do I use both devices anybody knows?

horizon7 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:48 pm Which plugin do you want to control? They need to support it...
as I understand that:

However in my case I'm using the ARP after "Midi Program Change" in order to change the Arp's presets to load different ARP variation on the fly from single ARP device, instead of loading several ARP's devices then switch between them via automation (Switch on/off as for every device receives it's turn) & this will consumes lots of CPU unlike switching presets from one device to do the same thing. but I'm not sure if this may cause clicking issues.

Stock devices to not adhear to Midi Program Change. It's a shame, same in other DAWs and support for preset switching using Midi Program Change has also declined in the VST world in favour of more complex Preset Browsers.

docbot wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:00 am
horizon7 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 am
as I understand that:

Stock devices to not adhear to Midi Program Change. It's a shame, same in other DAWs and support for preset switching using Midi Program Change has also declined in the VST world in favour of more complex Preset Browsers.
Ok but my question how can I use it? No answers till now.
I couldn’t find any resources at youtube,
I saw a u-he midi change feature only. Does someone can explain both devices?

Ok but my question how can I use it? No answers till now.
I couldn’t find any resources at youtube,
I saw a u-he midi change feature only. Does someone can explain both devices?
You can use it to change presets on a hardware synth or a software synths that supports Midi Program Change (Sylenth for example). Pretty selfexplanatory :)

You have multible Banks of Presets, with each Bank having 127 Presets (That's the resolution - different Values possible - of regular Midi).

I don't know about Midi Song change, this is probably only for hardware devices that have a Sequencer build in where you can save different Songs and it will likely allow you to switch between them.

horizon7 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 amHowever in my case I'm using the ARP after "Midi Program Change" in order to change the Arp's presets to load different ARP variation on the fly from single ARP device, instead of loading several ARP's devices then switch between them via automation (Switch on/off as for every device receives it's turn) & this will consumes lots of CPU unlike switching presets from one device to do the same thing. but I'm not sure if this may cause clicking issues.
Use the Note FX Selector
Add your layers of different Arp devices

You can use a range of notes on your keyboard to switch layers (Arps)
You can use a midi CC knob to change
You can use Program Change to change

The inactive layers do not use system resources.

Return to “Bitwig”