Bitwig is NOT a subscription

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Rivanni wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:24 pm It is a subscription. However not one to use the program but to receive updates. Still a subscription though.
A subscription needs to be canceled. Its even not a subscription for updates...

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:28 am
Rivanni wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:24 pm It is a subscription. However not one to use the program but to receive updates. Still a subscription though.
A subscription needs to be canceled. Its even not a subscription for updates...
Not all subscriptions need to be cancelled.

I think it's best to call it what Bitwig calls it though, an Upgrade Plan.
It's a good model, you upgrade when you want to, they constantly get some income from older users, and can update the software constantly. I actually wish it was more like that though, they released the Grid and all, but I get the impression that v4 will be a slew of new things, I would rather a trickle of new things all the time, and bug fix updates to maintain the software all the time.

I think the 'shotgun' updates has been dropped to to QC issues- that the problem with lots of small changes...lots of small regressions and new bugs! It look like its pretty much 6 months between updates now, still updated more often than most other DAWS :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

machinesworking wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:00 am Not all subscriptions need to be cancelled.
wikipedia wrote: The subscription business model is a business model in which a customer must pay a recurring price at regular intervals for access to a product
If I buy a every day a newspaper on the kiosk, I am not subscribed, I can leave out any of them...
Of course a contract can define the canceling to a predefined date...
If it doesn’t need to be cancelled its something different...
With Bitwig you buy an update, and as a bonus you get all releases which come in later as a bonus... Just look at it like that...

SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:57 am I think the 'shotgun' updates has been dropped to to QC issues- that the problem with lots of small changes...lots of small regressions and new bugs! It look like its pretty much 6 months between updates now, still updated more often than most other DAWS :tu:
That is possible... it is also possible that the pandemic year has thrown off the schedule and it will still end up every 4 months in the future... 3 .x updates per year. It has never once been 'shotgun' updates... which really was an inaccurate choice of words

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:47 pmIt has never once been 'shotgun' updates... which really was an inaccurate choice of words.
Was it? I'm re-watching The Walking Dead right now and shotgun - as opposed to e.g. an automatic machine gun - is what Bitwig delivers: relatively rare, but very broadly spread (in terms of feature coverage) updates ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Whatever you call it the "promise" of quicker major updates which would be rolled out faster given that they didn't have to be timed for typical release events didn't quite pan out. I know the fans will applaud everything they do however, rationale when their upgrade plan was introduced hasn't really born fruit. Good enough for many, under-delivered for some. T'was ever thus. I do know that of all the software I own, Bitwig and Izotope are the only major software which I don't automatically update if money is involved. It is relatively expensive and the value proposition isn't always compelling. My opinion, my experience only.

Scotty wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:00 pm It is relatively expensive and the value proposition isn't always compelling. My opinion, my experience only.
This may well be the case depending on how you personally value the features they have added in the cumulative update(s). Fortunately you don't have to update until you do feel their is value for you (or ever if you are happy enough with what you have).

As with all updates of this nature (NI, Arturia, iZotope etc) if you skip a few updates you will get a lot more for your money when you do jump back in at the latest version!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

antic604 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:50 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:47 pmIt has never once been 'shotgun' updates... which really was an inaccurate choice of words.
Was it? I'm re-watching The Walking Dead right now and shotgun - as opposed to e.g. an automatic machine gun - is what Bitwig delivers: relatively rare, but very broadly spread (in terms of feature coverage) updates ;) :D
Yes... they said machine gun, not shotgun... so yes, if they had said shotgun that would have been more accurate. :lol:

Scotty wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:00 pmI know the fans will applaud everything they do
And the bitter negative people will always find something to complain about no matter what they do...

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:22 pm
Scotty wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:00 pmI know the fans will applaud everything they do
And the bitter negative people will always find something to complain about no matter what they do...
I don't know or care really if you two have a history, but I feel like the entire world has fallen down a rabbit hole of polarization. It's possible to criticize without being a hater, it's possible to admire and applaud without being a fanboy.

I appreciate Bitwigs business model compared to my other DAW DP10, which is currently on it's third update for v10, but personally it's a bit buggy compared to the earlier updates, and I'm waiting around for what is likely an upgrade to v11 to retain it's relative stability. Bitwig gets multiple updates a year, I appreciate that, and if that's part of the benefit of the their model then it makes me appreciate it. I do however wish it was a constant stream of updates and upgrades VS one or two things then a dump of new features.

Plus, subscriptions don't always have to be canceled, you just looked at the open source wiki and were satisfied. Dictionary.com chttps://www.dictionary.com/browse/subscription
to purchase a 10-concert subscription.
i.e. a set amount of some thing or time etc.

machinesworking wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:57 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:22 pm
I don't know or care really if you two have a history, but I feel like the entire world has fallen down a rabbit hole of polarization. It's possible to criticize without being a hater, it's possible to admire and applaud without being a fanboy.
Same thing I said... different way of saying it ;)

I didn't call anyone a fanboy and my comments were not directed at pdxindy. I made it clear my comments were my opinion on the software only and their releases and the "promises" that they made. I am acknowledging that fans .... didn't say "fan bois" will applaud everything they do and that is true. Some will. Some people live and breathe Bitwig and get a huge amount of benefit from it. That's all I meant. I don't know pdxindy at all, never had the pleasure of chatting with him as far as I know. I am just indicating that I exercise my option to upgrade on a less frequent basis than I do with most of my other software and attempted to qualify it. That's all.

SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:08 pm
Scotty wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:00 pm It is relatively expensive and the value proposition isn't always compelling. My opinion, my experience only.
This may well be the case depending on how you personally value the features they have added in the cumulative update(s). Fortunately you don't have to update until you do feel their is value for you (or ever if you are happy enough with what you have).

As with all updates of this nature (NI, Arturia, iZotope etc) if you skip a few updates you will get a lot more for your money when you do jump back in at the latest version!
That is well put and that is what I do. Bitwig isn't my main DAW. It is a playground for me. A very cool one at that. I am only making an observation and not suggesting that someone lacks character for having a different lens and valuing it or using it differently.

Scotty wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:25 pm I didn't call anyone a fanboy and my comments were not directed at pdxindy. I made it clear my comments were my opinion on the software only and their releases and the "promises" that they made. I am acknowledging that fans .... didn't say "fan bois" will applaud everything they do and that is true. Some will. Some people live and breathe Bitwig and get a huge amount of benefit from it. That's all I meant. I don't know pdxindy at all, never had the pleasure of chatting with him as far as I know. I am just indicating that I exercise my option to upgrade on a less frequent basis than I do with most of my other software and attempted to qualify it. That's all.
:tu:

Return to “Bitwig”