Refactor (ElectroProg - Seismic Re-Animation)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I started this in late summer of 2019, and then things got crazy at work, so the initial fragment of this piece was left to languish on my hard drive. At the end of 2019 I had a new machine built, and migrated all of the data to it, but work remained frantic until mid-2020, when I lost my job and lockdown managed to drain all enthusiasm from me. A couple of months ago, I was trawling through my computer and found this forgotten project sitting there.

To cut a long story short, enthusiasm was restored, the track slowly took shape and the world seems a better place (from my perspective).

I think this is the spiritual follow-up to Refraktor:-

(viewtopic.php?f=14&t=454095)

although I deliberately chose not to use any 'trons on here, in the hope of achieving a slightly more "modern" sound.

TD/Schulze/Ashra territory, maybe. It's a slow-builder so you'll probably need a (strong) drink.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/refactor

recorded/mixed and pre-mastered in EnergyXT2.7 - Mastered in T-Racks 5

Z3ta+2
ModularV2
Dune
ACE
Dune 2
REFLEXplus
BC Gain 3 stereo
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 9

EDIT: 20231017 I have remixed the track in EnergyXT2.7, but the only change was the addition of a synth part to the final section. I made no changes to the EQ/levelling/panning, and the new T-Racks5 master used the original parameters. This is ready for an forthcoming album release.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/refa ... ks5-master

Recorded and mixed in EnergyXT 2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 5

Z3ta+2
ModularV2
Dune
ACE
Dune 2
REFLEXplus
BC Gain 3 stereo
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 9
Last edited by seismic1 on Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Way cool! :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Nice work! I'm glad to hear you regained your enthusiasm for this piece. It came out nicely. Great sounds and composition.
Sometimes I go back to an old project and wonder why I dropped it.
Going back to old projects can be weird. I will set something down because I know I'll find inspiration if I return to it with fresh ears... and sometimes that works! Other times, it's hard to get in the mind set I had when I started the project (or I don't want to, lol). But I'm surprised how often I go back to something I left 'unfinished' and end up like "this is done! why didn't I do anything with this?"

Thanks for sharing!

Wow, this is great, Tim, how do you produce a 20 minute song is beyond my understanding :) I really like the sci fi feel it brings. And indeed, recycling or continuing old work can be really fun and uplifting! On the other note, I hope things will work out for you!

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul

Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:51 am Way cool! :tu:
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment. Glad you enjoyed it :D

Expressive. Those dark thumping plucks are luscious. Imagine a slow kick snare combination underlying that.

Nice synth music… pleasant sounds and ambiance.

hey Tim, good to hear you back in the saddle. i love the chill vibe as it transforms into a faster
tempo with the bass, blips and lush pad washes. Really enjoyed the sound set, mix and smooth composition flow of it. super cool work :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

justin3am wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:54 am Nice work! I'm glad to hear you regained your enthusiasm for this piece. It came out nicely. Great sounds and composition.
Sometimes I go back to an old project and wonder why I dropped it.
Going back to old projects can be weird. I will set something down because I know I'll find inspiration if I return to it with fresh ears... and sometimes that works! Other times, it's hard to get in the mind set I had when I started the project (or I don't want to, lol). But I'm surprised how often I go back to something I left 'unfinished' and end up like "this is done! why didn't I do anything with this?"

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks very much for taking the (not inconsiderable) time to listen and comment, Justin. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

It's great that I was able to complete the piece, but, given that there was an 18 month interval between saving the original project and rediscovering it, I can't really say whether the completed work remained true to my original vision. I can't remember what it was :? I suppose it doesn't really matter because I was able to find a solution anyway.

I'll get back to scouring the hard drive for more old projects next week.

Spacey sounds slowly building to classic TD sequencing. Great sound design with a perfect mix. Excellent use of occasional distortion which gives an edge to certain sounds.

The only minor complaint -- the pacing is a bit leisurely for my tastes.

Nice work, sir!

thedeadsoul wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:33 am Wow, this is great, Tim, how do you produce a 20 minute song is beyond my understanding :) I really like the sci fi feel it brings. And indeed, recycling or continuing old work can be really fun and uplifting! On the other note, I hope things will work out for you!

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul
Hi Adi. Thanks very much for taking to time to listen and comment. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Most of my tracks clock in at less than 10 minutes, but I have made a few longer than that. I think these long pieces may reflect the fact that I was listening to a lot of Prog-Rock and electronic artists in the mid-'70s, specifically a 3-piece band from Berlin. It wasn't uncommon during this period for single tracks to span an entire side of an LP, although the Punk Rock breakthrough in 1976 sent a lot of these bands running for cover :wink:

I just loaded up another old project (a 20-second sketch, actually) from a couple of years ago, and it has been completely transformed after a few hours work, although I'm still quite unsure of its eventual direction.

I'm sure things will work out ok here :)

nice slow build up 8)
that huge throb sound :o :love:
as well as the td stuff, you can hear some of the ozrics more mellow moments through this intro :tu:
well, i suppose they are also influenced by a lot of the same 70s stuff.

ooh nice build to that change.
lovely bass sound too, simple, but clean and clear.
melody line is also crisp and clear, very open mix, even with the pads and a few synths, still plenty of space, no mud. great work indeed!!

love the way all the different parts flow in and out, without it ever being jarring, like travelling on a bus through country roads :)
thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish! :tu:

Had a first listen yesterday evening...here we go again.....

Strong little motif to start it all...instantly hooked!

Love the little variations on that raw theme as well in the first few bars.

Great 3D depth to what I'm gonna call the 'raindrops' - headphones...wow!

Those BIG low BRAAAMS - the little bit of extra opening of the filter each time.

And then that mysterious ethereal pad wrapped around it all!

Fantastic first section!

Just gonna listen now and shut up for 17 mins....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Epic Ambient Slowburner!!!
Very well judged, especially the combination of sounds in there once again. The mix is excellent both on speakers and in headphones...width, depth, warmth and clarity.

Just wanted two things....maybe...maybe not...

The return of the 'raindrops' at the end.

A big soaring high lead over the middle section where there is more bass energy / movement.

Of course, I always want more layers / melody blah. blah, blah in just about everything I listen to...apart from maybe Vurt's stuff...it would ruin them totally! :)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

long time since I heard a seismic1 track, you still got it.
But i am still halftime in, gotta listen to this multiple times to get it fully. What is the story behind it?

As stated before. An interesting listen in terms of evolvement and variety in sound. Slowburner my be the proper description. Good work!

Return to “Music Cafe”