Enough vintage already. How about some "Modern" synth suggestions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've got all the synths I'll ever need that are described as "classic" "analog" "80's" vintage and every other term to describe synths from back when. Now I want to balance that out with "Modern".I have Serum,Omnisphere, Pigments Hive and Nexus3 (which I don't get along with for some reason) that I consider less focused on the past.I could use some ideas for synth plugins most used in current music that doesn't so much focus on recreating a past era with vintage emulations.
Last edited by dblock on Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Look no further than a Yamaha Keytar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFnE3VUvCJg

dblock wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 pm I've got all the synths I'll ever need that are described as "classic" "analog" "80's" vintage and every other term to describe synths from back when. Now I want to balance that out with "Modern".I have Serum,Omnisphere, Pigments Hive and Nexus3 (which I don't get along with for some reason) that I consider less focused on the past.I could use some ideas for current music that doesn't so much focus on recreating a past era with vintage emulations.
Maybe you put too much emphasis on whether the synth is vintage or modern. It's not as if you couldn't do modern music with 50 year old synths.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:43 pm Look no further than a Yamaha Keytar...

That thing sounds like my ex-wife. I don't want that in my computer.
Last edited by dblock on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:43 pm Look no further than a Yamaha Keytar...

is this a gear demo? or an underwear advert? or advertising a party planner?

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:45 pm
dblock wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 pm I've got all the synths I'll ever need that are described as "classic" "analog" "80's" vintage and every other term to describe synths from back when. Now I want to balance that out with "Modern".I have Serum,Omnisphere, Pigments Hive and Nexus3 (which I don't get along with for some reason) that I consider less focused on the past.I could use some ideas for current music that doesn't so much focus on recreating a past era with vintage emulations.
Maybe you put too much emphasis on whether the synth is vintage or modern. It's not as if you couldn't do modern music with 50 year old synths.
That may be true and I realize that since I've written so many tracks with the ones I have but if I just settled on that, there would be no reason for the post and no reason to suggest anything but I take your point.
Last edited by dblock on Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think 99% of modern EDM music is made with "modern" soft synths. Think Sylenth1, Spire, Serum, Massive, Nexus etc.

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:49 pm

is this a gear demo? or an underwear advert? or advertising a party planner?
Must we choose?

I think there's a good chance you've already got all the synths you could ever need.

Failing that, Vital.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:58 pm I think there's a good chance you've already got all the synths you could ever need.
Agreed, it's time for a sousaphone. It doesn't get more modern than this, amiright?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MypmT0kwBR0

I suggest to check Modelonia (physical modeling), Obscurium (pattern morphing), Aparillo (textural), Harmor (hybrid) and not to forget the good old Absynth (a vintage modern, so to say).

Curious to know why Pigments isn't modern enough? The few complaints I've seen about it say it is somewhat lacking for virtual analog, but most seem impressed with the interface, features, and synthesis methods.

Pendulate (monophonic, it's free) and Generate (polyphonic) are modern and the sounds you can get are very different from vintage synths.

telecharge wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:20 pm Curious to know why Pigments isn't modern enough? The few complaints I've seen about it say it is somewhat lacking for virtual analog, but most seem impressed with the interface, features, and synthesis methods.
I'm guessing this is satire considering that he listed multiple flagship softsynths including one that underwent a major update a week and half ago.

I dunno, I could be wrong. Maybe he wants a plasma trumpet or a synth that only generates sound in frequencies suitable for echolocation in bats. Ya know, something really bizarre... uh, sorry, cutting edge.

Edit- In case this is sincere-
Granular (which is in Pigments), massive effect chain weirdness (like UA's stuff or Bitwig), creative uses of Max for Live, chaos oscillators, nonlinear filter implementations, MPE controllers, microtonal stuff, various physical modeling implementations, generative music, polyrhythms…
Last edited by Irate_Wombat_dot_com on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

telecharge wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:20 pm Curious to know why Pigments isn't modern enough? The few complaints I've seen about it say it is somewhat lacking for virtual analog, but most seem impressed with the interface, features, and synthesis methods.
he wants modern music not synths

Return to “Instruments”