Enough vintage already. How about some "Modern" synth suggestions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

revvy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:58 pm I think there's a good chance you've already got all the synths you could ever need.

Failing that, Vital.
I probably had all the synths I'll ever need 5 years ago but who's counting? :hihi:

+1 For Vital.
If hardware: Novation Summit, Waldorf Blofeld.
Also check:
Parawave Rapid
Falcon 2
If modular: Alpha Forever

A few of you guys mentioned Vital which I had never heard of but this thing sounds pretty damned good.

dblock wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:41 pm
revvy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:58 pm I think there's a good chance you've already got all the synths you could ever need.

Failing that, Vital.
I probably had all the synths I'll ever need 5 years ago but who's counting? :hihi:
Does anyone really "need" a synth?

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:00 pm

Failing that, Vital.
Well, we don't really "need" toilet paper but we may be getting into semantics at this point.

dblock wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:26 pm

Failing that, Vital.
Well, we don't really "need" toilet paper but we may be getting into semantics at this point.
That sounds like a new thread. You will be stranded in a tiny hut in the arctic circle for a year. Almost all of your provisions are provided for. Your hut comes fully equipped with a modern computer with an operating system of your choice, a high quality audio interface, a 61 key controller, and a single pair of high quality monitors.

There is one problem.

You have no internet, and no ability to download anything. All you can do is use the tools that are on the computer or that you bring with you to make music.

There is one more problem.

"Almost" means this, there is no toilet paper nor any reasonable approximation.

You have been granted a budget for a year's supply of high quality toilet paper. The average person uses 50 pounds per year, or, approximately 410 rolls. You have been granted $2.44 cents per roll for a budget of $1000.

Before you leave, you must purchase, in advance, all of your toilet paper and all of the software to produce music. You may not use any communistic open source software or free tools. Real musicians pay for their software. They want everything professional, everything high grade.

Upon return, you must bring with you a fresh track to please KVR or you will be sent back for another year with no additional budget.

What do you buy?

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:11 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:03 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:01 pm I’d suggest...

Massive X
Dune 3
Blade 2
MPowersynth
Falcon
ArcSyn
Vital

That should keep you busy.
that's a lot of bands named after soft synths :o
Yeah, some people just can't follow directions.

PIKOTARO for the win. Truly modern synth music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6BUPvE2sM
No way it didn't get Grammy! Coz this shit is their new level.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:45 pm

Failing that, Vital.
That sounds like a new thread. You will be stranded in a tiny hut in the arctic circle for a year. Almost all of your provisions are provided for. Your hut comes fully equipped with a modern computer with an operating system of your choice, a high quality audio interface, a 61 key controller, and a single pair of high quality monitors.

There is one problem.

You have no internet, and no ability to download anything. All you can do is use the tools that are on the computer or that you bring with you to make music.

You have been granted a budget for a year's supply of high quality toilet paper. The average person uses 50 pounds per year, or, approximately 410 rolls. You have been granted $2.44 cents per roll for a budget of $1000.

Before you leave, you must purchase, in advance, all of your toilet paper and all of the software to produce music. You may not use any communistic open source software or free tools. Real musicians pay for their software. They want everything professional, everything high grade.

Upon return, you must bring with you a fresh track to please KVR or you will be sent back for another year with no additional budget.

What do you buy?
If you mean the software has to come out of my toilet paper budget that would require some serious professional consideration right there.

dblock wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:41 pm

Failing that, Vital.

There is one problem.

What do you buy?
If you mean the software has to come out of my toilet paper budget that would require some serious professional consideration right there.
That is exactly it. You have $1000, one year, synths or toilet paper, what will your needs be?

Reaktor Kontour is probably not going to sound vintage analog unless you really want it
Two-operator [weird implementation of] PM type of FM with interdynamic filters... gets pretty gnarly into inharmonics if you like, FX in it are pretty much 'modern'... gets way into _resonant_, a rather sensitive beast
also, too, Reaktor Spark

wait for it

Absynth

For a modern sound recently I've been turning to Rhizomatic Software's Plasmonic and the aforementioned Vital and Newfangled Audio Generate. Those along with some specialized effects can open you up to a world of sound possibilities that would keep anybody busy for years to come.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:01 pm

There is one problem.

What do you buy?
That is exactly it. You have $1000, one year, synths or toilet paper, what will your needs be?
Omnisphere, $230, Battery $200 and $570 worth of toilet paper.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:01 pmThat is exactly it. You have $1000, one year, synths or toilet paper, what will your needs be?
Synths of course...

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:01 pm

There is one problem.

What do you buy?
arctic? easy, snow geese.
good enough for rabelais good enough for my bunghole.

Return to “Instruments”