Bitwig 4 - what's gonna be in it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dionysos wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:29 am
antismap wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:13 am Not being able to slice in the sampler is the most annoying missing thing for me right now.
Even if I'm almost ok with the "slice to multisample at onsets" workaround for now. But editing the slices afterwards require more work (you need to select both samples and move the end / start point).
Agree. It's just like you say, technically the Sampler + the "Slice to drum machine/multisampler" macros do what's needed, but practically it's a very static workflow where adjusting slices after the fact and especially experimenting and playing with slices, is very cumbersome.

I "work around" it by using an external plugin for it (Serato Sample), but I'd love it if the built-in Sampler (or a new dedicated Slicer instrument) could do the job instead, because what we have now is so close already.
Wish they do something like IL Slicex where each slice has separate pitch, filter settings.
Abe Simpler and Logic Q sampler are weak compared to Slicex.

andypryce wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:40 am Wish they do something like IL Slicex where each slice has separate pitch, filter settings.
This is exactly how I ended up buying FL Studio! Wish they did something like FL Piano Roll and FL step editor...wish they did something like Edison for audio editing, wish they did something like Slicex for slicing...hand on a minute! :dog:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

andypryce wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:40 amWish they do something like IL Slicex where each slice has separate pitch, filter settings.
If you use "Slice to drum machine" instead of "Slice to multisample", you get an individual Sampler per slice, which is arguably more powerful than what Slicex offers, apart from the built-in audio editor of course.

It definitely isn't more powerful than Slicex (which can also do that and a heck of a lot more!) but it is very simple in Bitwig and may be all most people need. Here is a quick overview of a few things Slicex does (pretty advanced audio editing, integrated step sequencer, articulator with filters, LFO's and envelopes per layer etc, automatic or manual individual region pitch and time settings):

https://youtu.be/Dvc0pyf0gh8
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:50 am It definitely isn't more powerful than Slicex (which can also do that and a heck of a lot more!) but it is very simple in Bitwig and may be all most people need. Here is a quick overview of a few things Slicex does (advanced audio editing, step sequencer, articulator etc):
Oh I know Slicex very well, I alpha-tested it and wrote its "Play to end" script. As usual, in Bitwig the modulation, layering, and playback functionality would have to be added on using modulator slots, note effects or layers.

In any case, "lack of power" isn't the issue with slicing in Bitwig IMO, it's ease of use and workflow (where you have to basically commit to slices in advance, and can't easily experiment with slice positions).

EDIT:
integrated step sequencer
Slicex doesn't have a step sequencer,the steps just represent the "pads" (i.e. keys) that slices are mapped to.
Last edited by Dionysos on Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

at least has per-zone modulation
https://youtu.be/UCXoxcX69PQ?t=257
4:16​ Per Zone Modulations
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Dionysos wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:22 am
SLiC wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:50 am It definitely isn't more powerful than Slicex (which can also do that and a heck of a lot more!) but it is very simple in Bitwig and may be all most people need. Here is a quick overview of a few things Slicex does (advanced audio editing, step sequencer, articulator etc):
Oh I know Slicex very well, I alpha-tested it and wrote its "Play to end" script. As usual, in Bitwig the modulation, layering, and playback functionality would have to be added on using modulator slots, note effects or layers.

In any case, "lack of power" isn't the issue with slicing in Bitwig IMO, it's ease of use and workflow (where you have to basically commit to slices in advance, and can't easily experiment with slice positions).
:tu: You know more about it than I do no doubt, I am pretty new to FL Studio- lured in by people constantly posting 'can we have XX feature like in FL Studio!

Yes, its always the argument with simplicity/speed vs. depth - Slicex has a lot of depth (as you obviously know!) and could be way too much for someone who just wanted to slice a loop to pads and play in a new beat...Slicex is more like a loop slicer/manger/effects and audio editor in one- different way of working than using Bitwigs modulators and fx slots and easier to chop and visualise the full loop in Slicex I think, I have found it very inspirational and fast with vocal loop processing.

PS- quite right on the step sequencer- I have been using it with the FL racks step sequencer, parts of FL not Slicex...I bought the all plugin edition so I am bouncing around!

SLiC wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:31 ameasier to chop and visualise the full loop in Slicex I think
Yes, that really hits the nail on the head. As soon as you've sliced an audio file in Bitwig and sent it to the drum machine or multisampler, the whole loop gets kind of buried in the depths of the drum machine/sampler UI and it's not as easy to make broad-stroke changes.

Luckily these other plugins exist, so there are always options for those who need a different approach. :)

I found that clicking the little midi icon on the top of the file list in the bitwig multisampler helps, because it then focusses each played sound so you can see where it plays in the file. This makes it look like slices from a single file (I chose "slice raw")

ChrisDW wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:05 pm Bitwig 4 will be announced Tues May 4th, with a beta release to follow in the coming days :love:
Full release expected mid June 2021 :clap:
So, where is it? :smack:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

@Antic604 They didn't say it would be 2021 though! :p

antic604 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:27 pm
ChrisDW wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:05 pm Bitwig 4 will be announced Tues May 4th, with a beta release to follow in the coming days :love:
Full release expected mid June 2021 :clap:
So, where is it? :smack:
No one releases software on Star Wars day :hihi:

Releasing Bitwig 4 on the 4th would have been pretty cool too.

Releasing Bitwig 4 on the 4th with a Star Wars theme would break the internet.

SLiC wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:30 pm Releasing Bitwig 4 on the 4th with a Star Wars theme would break the internet.
It will be released in 25 minutes. 4 o'clock pm in germany...

Return to “Bitwig”