Tone2 Icarus2 'Wow'

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRian
1177 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Future

Post Mon May 03, 2021 1:38 am

I just start working with Icarus 2 and my first thoughts are 'Wow how i missed such a great synth'
Made my first preset with it,nothing special,but it's so easy to implement what i call 'Nonlinear dynamic technology' - 4 modulators interacting Mod wheel,Aftertouch plus Foot,Expression pedals.
Only thing i don't know for the moment is how set up vibrato,any ideas?

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

1177 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Future

Post Mon May 03, 2021 1:41 am

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:38 am
I just start working with Icarus 2 and my first thoughts are 'Wow how i missed such a great synth'
Made my first preset with it,nothing special,but it's so easy to implement what i call 'Nonlinear dynamic technology' - 4 modulators interacting Mod wheel,Aftertouch plus Foot,Expression pedals.
Only thing i don't know for the moment is how set up vibrato,any ideas?
This is the preset.
Use mod wheel,aftertouch,foot,expression pedals for dymamic changes or more harmonics.
Cheers :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRAF
5808 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Mon May 03, 2021 2:03 am

If you had any mod matrix slots available (I don't think there are any left in your preset) you could add an LFO to osc1-3 tuning.

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

1177 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Future

Post Mon May 03, 2021 3:55 am

My thoughts was in same direction,second preset will use it :)
Is there demand for icarus sound banks and what sounds?
I just start to explore it,which mean hundreds of presets next months,if somebody is interested of sounds please give me direction,what available soundsets miss as sound,what you are willing to pay for so on.
I really like how easy this synth gives you inspiration and mood,also as workhorse is very user friendly.
This preset is 10 min max,using as start point Key antenna something available preset.
I don't like or use 'from scratch' sentence,it's boring,not efficient and i start my designers hobby modificating default presets.
Sharing this info for enthusiasts who try 'from scratch' motto - you need couple of years to start making something interesting from scratch so my advice is to try your own modification learning partially different areas of the synth.
I know it sounds harsh,but modifications teach me that in many cases designer make mistakes or just dont release the best possible variation and you can do modification which is way better and suitable for your mix,i do a lot of such mistakes...:)
Anyway aside from designer's passion and wasted time inside the matrix hihhii vibrato is important as function,will try to make something interesting next time :)
Cheers :)

User avatar
KVRAF
1978 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Mon May 03, 2021 7:52 am

There are about 3 billion soundsets out there with trap sounds, if you make a 100+ preset soundbank with psytrance sounds, I will buy it :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

1177 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Future

Post Mon May 03, 2021 10:20 am

I'm fan of psy trance,old goa stuff as well and everything near as style,but as designer haven't spend much time making psy presets specially, cause most people use Sylenth1 bp filter,but it's nice direction to experiment.
I missed entire Icarus debate before,just impressed with character and tone at first 10 min i spend with it,couldn't resist to share:)
I made two Warlock banks at beta stage,decent i hope and didn't expect Icarus to be so easy and intuitive.
If there is contest for Easy,intuitive,friendly synths these two will be in top 5 :)

KVRAF
3128 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Mon May 03, 2021 12:03 pm

starflakeprj wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:52 am
There are about 3 billion soundsets out there with trap sounds, if you make a 100+ preset soundbank with psytrance sounds, I will buy it :)
Yeah, there’s very little psytrance sounds out there... rare even :help:

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

1177 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Future

Post Tue May 04, 2021 2:43 am

Can't say it's psy preset exactly,but could be useful somewhere.probably post apocalyptic tune or some sort of.
Nonlinear dynamic technology i develop is more about dynamics,character and harmonics not style oriented.
Maybe have to analyze some Sylenth1 psy presets to have better idea what people use as structure.
These miss some fx so if you are designer enthusiast add some from fx section,will be helpful for future projects to know at least fx of synths you are using it's essental.
Download link under the video :)
Cheers :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MOjhslZiN8

KVRian
1420 posts since 13 Jan, 2014

Post Tue May 04, 2021 3:06 am

What I would really love are some ambient, slow, chill presets using this wonderful one-note-to-get-a-whole-song option in Icarus2. As Marcus music preferences are definitely not in that direction there are no factory presets in this category at all :-(.

There are some nice soundbanks out there covering that ground in general but not with that one-note function. I dont know if its that complicated (I am no soundbank creator) but maybe its just because generating that kind of presets will take some time I am sure. But I would buy something like that instantly. There was one develloper out there promising but never realized (forget the name actually).

User avatar
KVRian
956 posts since 2 Jul, 2018

Post Tue May 04, 2021 3:37 am

I will add some more ambient patches to the factory-content in the next update. The update will be available for free
Tone2 Audiosoftware https://www.tone2.com

KVRian
1420 posts since 13 Jan, 2014

Post Tue May 04, 2021 4:05 am

Great :clap:

User avatar
KVRAF
9076 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Tue May 04, 2021 5:08 am

Markus Krause wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:37 am
I will add some more ambient patches to the factory-content in the next update. The update will be available for free
Does this update happen to get us Mac M1 native compatibility? :pray: :pray: :pray:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

KVRAF
2293 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Tue May 04, 2021 5:35 am

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sat May 29, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

1177 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Future

Post Tue May 04, 2021 9:09 am

tatanka wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:06 am
What I would really love are some ambient, slow, chill presets using this wonderful one-note-to-get-a-whole-song option in Icarus2. As Marcus music preferences are definitely not in that direction there are no factory presets in this category at all :-(.

There are some nice soundbanks out there covering that ground in general but not with that one-note function. I dont know if its that complicated (I am no soundbank creator) but maybe its just because generating that kind of presets will take some time I am sure. But I would buy something like that instantly. There was one develloper out there promising but never realized (forget the name actually).
Not sure what you mean under 'one note function',but if it is what i assume one note to play complex internal modulated sound - no it is not so hard for programing if the synth have mod matrix,mseg and more lfo's.
Most of experienced designers do such complex internal modulation,just their style and understanding may not be the same as user's and actually programing isn't problem,but communication and understanding what user exactly want,so many different people and their taste of sound.
My exploration and experiments are more about combination of internal and user modulations.
'Nonlinear dynamic modulation' took near 3 years and it's really interesting,at least to me:)
Imagine bunch of internal functions comunicating with user's modulation,for example pad which change it's structure in time,but in every point you change some function using complex curves to avoid linearity or modulators to be connected to react absolutelly unpredictable way - that was something i did like more than year ago,but then realize people don't want super complex stuff,hard even to expain,but something easy,so now i do it like crossroad with four modulators.
Anyway not sure somebody is even interested of such 'Technology' but can't go back and do 'standard' stuff anymore,it's boring and flat without dynamic modulations :)
Cheers :)

User avatar
KVRAF
2132 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 pm

I dig it--very cool sounds that speak to me.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is a [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin

Return to “Instruments”