Looking for a 64-bit electric/distorted guitar VSTi with presets accessible in Max/MSP (preferably free!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a bit of a unique request. I'm looking for a VST instrument (not an effect) audio plug-in that can get me some juicy guitar sounds, especially with heavy distortion, but hopefully also lighter overdrive and reverb and delays and that sort of thing. Preferably 64-bit, but I could always JBridge if it was really worth it to do so.

I also need it to have as many presets as possible (I'm talking factory presets, not user-created). Here's the unusual part: I will be running this plug-in exclusively from the [vst~] object in Max/MSP, entirely programmatically, and I will never be using the UI. I will be relying on switching between presets by giving the [vst~] object messages in Max and it can be really hit-or-miss which plug-ins will respond to these messages.

In general plug-ins that are too complex (Guitar Rig for example) seem not to have their presets exposed enough to be accessible from Max. If the presets are hidden in separate banks, that's also a bad sign. So a simpler plug-in is actually better. Dexed and TAL-Noisemaker are 2 examples that work.

I think my best bet so far is https://www.applied-acoustics.com/post-rock/, but I can't be sure because you don't seem to be able to try it out before purchasing. So that would be another thing; some free suggestions would be ideal (hey, simpler is better after all) or at least something with a free trial I suppose, so I can make sure I'm not wasting my money before purchase.

Any help?

You can demo Strum however. Which is where those effects also come from.

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/strum-gs-2/

And you can also demo a select set of sounds from within that bank by downloading the most current free Swatches from them.

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/swatches/

That may even be enough for you.

I dunno if kontakt is useable in Max/Msp but the orange tree samples libraries are amazing and versatile. They have lots of built in presets which change the way the instrument responds and how it's processed. This uses "snapshots" which are like sub presets of the main instrument. If the snapshot angle doesn't work you could save each snapshot as a full preset and then put them into a kontakt bank which will allow for you to switch between them with simple program change messages. Also since the presets will all be using the same source samples, the ram usage shouldn't go up after like one preset or two ( once you have all the sampled articulations loaded up).
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Since the OP doesn't care for Guitar Rig, it's doubtful that the Kontakt environment would be any more appealing.
:shrug:

Thanks for the responses. Yeah I tried Kontakt but I couldn't get it to work. I suppose I didn't try creating my own presets, but I'm skeptical it would be any better.

I have tried out Swatches and it does indeed work, so I'm hopeful it will with the Post Rock pack as well. I just wanted to see if there were any other options out there I should look into first.

In kontakt you can create an "instrument bank" that will respond to standard midi program changes and allow access to 128 patches on a single channel. Just seemed like a straightforward way to do what you want.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:37 pm In kontakt you can create an "instrument bank" that will respond to standard midi program changes and allow access to 128 patches on a single channel. Just seemed like a straightforward way to do what you want.
I was indeed able to retrieve the presets saved in the instrument bank I created from Max, but is there a way to have it automatically load my instrument bank when the plug-in loads? Otherwise it still necessitates me opening the UI to get it set up.

Ah! There is. "Save as default multi". Well thanks for the tip. Now I'll have to explore some of these sounds…

^
That. You got it. If you can swing any of the orange tree stuff it is by far the best sample based guitar system around. I try and stay in Kontakt so I only really keep up with Impact soundworks aside from that. I've had lots of issues with playback engines that companies make for their own products. Some of them could be awesome, but I try and steer clear since kontakt has been rock solid since version 1 for me.

For free, I always just used whatever guitar samples I could find, ran them through a sample player and then through different free dirt and cab effects. I used a chord fingering chart to get the voicing right and then stagger the note beginnings to simulate a strum or pick.

Then I got Slayer! :lol:. It sounded awful, but was a blast to play with and prototype tracks before creating them as above

Now, I have Strum, which sounds better, but really lacks the fun bit. You might be able to use Revitar or Spicy Guitars. Both free modeled VSTs, but no FX included. You would still need the effects to drop in the chain after.

I would love a Slayer 3000 plugin. Anyone? :lol:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Return to “Instruments”