How can I create this sound with the right kinds of distortion?

How to make that sound...
Suspended
269 posts since 4 Dec, 2019

Post Sat May 01, 2021 9:21 am

I still find it a bit difficult to figure out what kind(s) of distortion(s) to use to recreate this sound. It's the lead sound that starts at 24 sec. Obviously, the key would be to find the right kinds of distortion effects to be used on a saw here and explain the fine tuning which is involved here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9346vKpsh1E
Nothing can be better than liberty and free time to spend as you choose. Let's give those modern slaveholders the bum's rush!

KVRAF
1931 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Sat May 01, 2021 9:27 am

Bit crusher. Look up 8-bit or chip tune synths/romplers, too. There are some good threads here dedicated to that.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is a [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin

KVRAF
28088 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat May 01, 2021 9:38 am

Could this be oscillator sync?
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Suspended

Topic Starter

Post Sat May 01, 2021 10:30 am

Hey, already some first comments! Great!

I think I already tried bit crushing but maybe I didn't try hard enough or there's something more to this sound?
(Side note: those who know me will know I won't use romplers, only synths to create sounds from scratch. :wink: )

chk071 (I don't know how else to call you): What do you mean by oscillator sync? Can you explain this a bit and why you think this could be involved in this sound?
Nothing can be better than liberty and free time to spend as you choose. Let's give those modern slaveholders the bum's rush!

KVRist
164 posts since 4 Jun, 2020 from USA

Post Tue May 04, 2021 8:59 pm

To me it sounds like a slightly overdriven square wave tone.

KVRAF
2381 posts since 18 May, 2002 from up on Cripple Creek (CO)

Post Wed May 05, 2021 1:59 pm

juno987654321 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:30 am
chk071 (I don't know how else to call you): What do you mean by oscillator sync? Can you explain this a bit and why you think this could be involved in this sound?
Since it looks like they haven't made it back to answer this, I figured I might as well.

Osc sync is about what it sounds like, it causes the synced oscillator to reset whenever the oscillator it's synced to completes a cycle. When the synced oscillator is tuned differently from the one it's synced to but left static, it can make kinda odd sounds like the one in that track. A lot of times the pitch of the synced oscillator is modulated with an envelope to make sounds like the lead that plays the main melody in Gary Numan's "Cars," or, speaking of cars, that distinctive sound in The Cars' song "Let's Go!" Lol, I'm sure there are more modern examples, but those are what immediately came to mind. :)
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Take music back from the suits and return it to the people.

KVRAF
28088 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed May 05, 2021 2:03 pm

I tried to replicate the sound using Synth1, using the oscillator sync on that one. Didn't get close really... I think there is some distortion involved indeed.

As usual, I guess there's more than one way to achieve the sound.

Oh, and, I should also add that osc sync on most soft synths sounds like... well... butt. :P It's one of those things, like good saturation or distortion, which is still unmatched from the analog domain.
Last edited by chk071 on Wed May 05, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Suspended

Topic Starter

Post Wed May 05, 2021 2:06 pm

Thanks guys, I will try this even tonight still. I'm starting to do a hundred things at the same time, just like my friend Choos. I'll hopefully get back to that sound tonight! :D

Sound design is so versatile. You easily get lost...

Suspended

Topic Starter

Post Wed May 05, 2021 4:28 pm

Return to “Sound Design”