Hekkräiser - noises i hear in my sleep (experimental EP made out of field recordings)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRian
586 posts since 17 Aug, 2015 from Finland

Post Mon May 03, 2021 12:01 am

So I've been making music for just under 9 years now - primarily under my two monikers The Santtu Pesonen Project and MFG38, the former of which focuses on something resembling progressive metal, while the latter is reserved for my electronic and soundtrack stuff. But every now and then, I get the urge to branch out and try something different. In this case, I wanted to experiment with turning ordinary everyday noises into musical instruments. Neither of my existing monikers really fit the bill, so I established a new solo project, named it Hekkräiser and made an experimental EP under the fresh moniker.

Hekkräiser's debut album, noises i hear in my sleep, was made over the course of just under a week. To make it, I took recordings of different noises of everyday life on my phone - cars passing by, heating food in the microwave, unlocking the door to my apartment etc. - and mangled them until they barely sounded like the source material. All tracks on the album were made in this manner; not a single synth patch, premade sample or conventional instrument was used in its making.

The EP features 10 short tracks, generally between 1-2 minutes each and with simple structures. As far as the musical style of the EP goes, it's mostly rhythm-focused experimental electronica(ish), with a couple ambient tracks and a downright noise track sprinkled in. (In fact, the latter is the opening track.) This definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I hope someone finds some morbid enjoyment in listening to the thing at the very least.

The album is available for listening and download on Bandcamp:
https://hekkraiser.bandcamp.com/album/n ... n-my-sleep
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

KVRian
1097 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Mon May 03, 2021 9:40 am

Interesting tracks... Enjoyed the listen... Nothing hugely extreme in there for my ear, but then my music tastes are seriously eclectic!

For, me it would've nice to hear one or two longer tracks with more developed ideas maybe?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

addled muppet weed
79276 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Mon May 03, 2021 9:49 am

if you hear someone flushing the toilet while you sleep
a: you dont live alone
b: you have guests
c: you are being burgled
or d (my favourite) : you have a ghost with bladder issues :tu:

cool stuff, im a big fan of interesting sample mangling :D
enjoying the listen so far, thanks for sharing :)

addled muppet weed
79276 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 am

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:40 am

For, me it would've nice to hear one or two longer tracks with more developed ideas maybe?
have to agree with our colour changing lizard friend!
some tracks here with a fair bit of potential :tu:

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Mon May 03, 2021 10:31 am

Glad the stuff has its fans. Thanks! c:
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

KVRian
1097 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Mon May 03, 2021 12:50 pm

vurt wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 am
ChameleonMusic wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:40 am

have to agree with our colour changing lizard friend!
some tracks here with a fair bit of potential :tu:
A leopard cannot change its spots, but I can slip from fluorescent lime green to dark , Gothic purple in a micro second! :)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

KVRAF
10197 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Tue May 04, 2021 3:16 pm

I played the first track, and had to abort my listening quite sharpish to visit the upstairs facility.

The second track sounds like Chris Walken may have been involved.

"einstein was a moonwalker" reminded me of the intro to Tangerine Dream's "Mojave Plan".

My favourite was track 8 - "hell has a 10th circle ......."

I liked the track titles too.

Good work :)

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Wed May 05, 2021 12:58 am

seismic1 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:16 pm
I played the first track, and had to abort my listening quite sharpish to visit the upstairs facility.

The second track sounds like Chris Walken may have been involved.

"einstein was a moonwalker" reminded me of the intro to Tangerine Dream's "Mojave Plan".

My favourite was track 8 - "hell has a 10th circle ......."

I liked the track titles too.

Good work :)
Haha, thanks! :D
My solo projects:

KVRAF
2442 posts since 18 May, 2002 from up on Cripple Creek (CO)

Post Wed May 05, 2021 2:06 pm

Pretty cool stuff! For some reason, I got the feeling of an alternate soundtrack for the film Requiem for a Dream. I guess that seems pretty specific, and I can't really explain it, but there you go. :)
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Take music back from the suits and return it to the people.

Return to “Music Cafe”