Tone2 Icarus2 'Wow'

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:09 pm
tatanka wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:06 am What I would really love are some ambient, slow, chill presets using this wonderful one-note-to-get-a-whole-song option in Icarus2. As Marcus music preferences are definitely not in that direction there are no factory presets in this category at all :-(.

There are some nice soundbanks out there covering that ground in general but not with that one-note function. I dont know if its that complicated (I am no soundbank creator) but maybe its just because generating that kind of presets will take some time I am sure. But I would buy something like that instantly. There was one develloper out there promising but never realized (forget the name actually).
Not sure what you mean under 'one note function',but if it is what i assume one note to play complex internal modulated sound - no it is not so hard for programing if the synth have mod matrix,mseg and more lfo's.
Most of experienced designers do such complex internal modulation,just their style and understanding may not be the same as user's and actually programing isn't problem,but communication and understanding what user exactly want,so many different people and their taste of sound.
My exploration and experiments are more about combination of internal and user modulations.
'Nonlinear dynamic modulation' took near 3 years and it's really interesting,at least to me:)
Imagine bunch of internal functions comunicating with user's modulation,for example pad which change it's structure in time,but in every point you change some function using complex curves to avoid linearity or modulators to be connected to react absolutelly unpredictable way - that was something i did like more than year ago,but then realize people don't want super complex stuff,hard even to expain,but something easy,so now i do it like crossroad with four modulators.
Anyway not sure somebody is even interested of such 'Technology' but can't go back and do 'standard' stuff anymore,it's boring and flat without dynamic modulations :)
Cheers :)
Sorry, I was on work and missing the right keyword that was the "1 Key hold" category from the presets menue:
1 key hold.jpg
These are wonderful little snippets, songparts, clips whatever you call it and very unique to Icarus2 (I have not seen anything comparable in any other synth/workstation, maybe Avenger comes close but thats much more complicated to use). And very easy to adept to your own needs even if you are not a sound/patch designer IF you have some good presets in this category for your style (like in my case ambient, chill, relaxed, meditation.....) to start with. Now the factory presets just dont have that so for me that would be heaven on earth to have some good starting points for my kind of music in that "1 Key Hold" category. But hopefully the next update will bring in something here :hyper:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simmo75 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:03 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:52 pm There are about 3 billion soundsets out there with trap sounds, if you make a 100+ preset soundbank with psytrance sounds, I will buy it :)
Yeah, there’s very little psytrance sounds out there... rare even :help:
Literally any sound + 1/8 dotted ping pong delay = psytrance sound :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

tatanka wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:21 pm
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:09 pm
tatanka wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:06 am What I would really love are some ambient, slow, chill presets using this wonderful one-note-to-get-a-whole-song option in Icarus2. As Marcus music preferences are definitely not in that direction there are no factory presets in this category at all :-(.

There are some nice soundbanks out there covering that ground in general but not with that one-note function. I dont know if its that complicated (I am no soundbank creator) but maybe its just because generating that kind of presets will take some time I am sure. But I would buy something like that instantly. There was one develloper out there promising but never realized (forget the name actually).
Not sure what you mean under 'one note function',but if it is what i assume one note to play complex internal modulated sound - no it is not so hard for programing if the synth have mod matrix,mseg and more lfo's.
Most of experienced designers do such complex internal modulation,just their style and understanding may not be the same as user's and actually programing isn't problem,but communication and understanding what user exactly want,so many different people and their taste of sound.
My exploration and experiments are more about combination of internal and user modulations.
'Nonlinear dynamic modulation' took near 3 years and it's really interesting,at least to me:)
Imagine bunch of internal functions comunicating with user's modulation,for example pad which change it's structure in time,but in every point you change some function using complex curves to avoid linearity or modulators to be connected to react absolutelly unpredictable way - that was something i did like more than year ago,but then realize people don't want super complex stuff,hard even to expain,but something easy,so now i do it like crossroad with four modulators.
Anyway not sure somebody is even interested of such 'Technology' but can't go back and do 'standard' stuff anymore,it's boring and flat without dynamic modulations :)
Sorry, I was on work and missing the right keyword that was the "1 Key hold" category from the presets menue:
1 key hold.jpg
These are wonderful little snippets, songparts, clips whatever you call it and very unique to Icarus2 (I have not seen anything comparable in any other synth/workstation, maybe Avenger comes close but thats much more complicated to use). And very easy to adept to your own needs even if you are not a sound/patch designer IF you have some good presets in this category for your style (like in my case ambient, chill, relaxed, meditation.....) to start with. Now the factory presets just dont have that so for me that would be heaven on earth to have some good starting points for my kind of music in that "1 Key Hold" category. But hopefully the next update will bring in something here :hyper:
Yep 1 Kkey hold conception is cool - arp and drum section could add interesting sounds.
Made modification of 'Cafe del mar' called 'Cafe moodification' :):):)
Not exactly ambient but sound interesting i guess :)
https://app.box.com/s/gt4k1qgmyrl48tt2gejinlfj5va99w9r

Dirtgrain wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:05 pm
I dig it--very cool sounds that speak to me.
Thanks,give me examples of what kind sounds you lke in youtube,sometimes inspiration is huge problem:)

PieBerger wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:09 am
simmo75 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:03 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:52 pm There are about 3 billion soundsets out there with trap sounds, if you make a 100+ preset soundbank with psytrance sounds, I will buy it :)
Yeah, there’s very little psytrance sounds out there... rare even :help:
Literally any sound + 1/8 dotted ping pong delay = psytrance sound :lol:
Exactly!
And pretty much every soft synth library is stacked full them... supersaw crew coming at you...

While ago,when wavetables start to rise as new kid on the block, at some point i was pissed off all these saw stuff and start to experiment with wt,trying even not to touch a saw wave.
Few years later i have to admit that good,old sawtooth waveform is absolutely irreplaceable in many cases for some sounds,just nothing else sounds so fat and rich.
Icarus and Warlock have 10x detuning system which is kind of Marcus challenge to super and hypersaw - sounds even fatter and bigger,personally i like combination 8x+10x.
For modern sound i don't use much 7x supersaw, it's kind of obsolete and to me sounds like 1997-98,prefer 8x,9x,10x for fat saw.
No matter how much somebody is sick and tired of sawtooth waveform,it's gonna be used at least another decade or more :):):)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:49 am While ago,when wavetables start to rise as new kid on the block, at some point i was pissed off all these saw stuff and start to experiment with wt,trying even not to touch a saw wave.
Few years later i have to admit that good,old sawtooth waveform is absolutely irreplaceable in many cases for some sounds,just nothing else sounds so fat and rich.
Icarus and Warlock have 10x detuning system which is kind of Marcus challenge to super and hypersaw - sounds even fatter and bigger,personally i like combination 8x+10x.
For modern sound i don't use much 7x supersaw, it's kind of obsolete and to me sounds like 1997-98,prefer 8x,9x,10x for fat saw.
No matter how much somebody is sick and tired of sawtooth waveform,it's gonna be used at least another decade or more :):):)
And beyond probably.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I'm sure I heard an Alice Deejay one key hold preset :lol:

Awesome synth, my favourite I think, and an ambient powerhouse.

I think just the GUI needs updated it's quite cheesy and reflects badly since the sound is 10/10. This might put some people off.

Is there skins?

rubez wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:00 pm I'm sure I heard an Alice Deejay one key hold preset :lol:

Awesome synth, my favourite I think, and an ambient powerhouse.

I think just the GUI needs updated it's quite cheesy and reflects badly since the sound is 10/10. This might put some people off.

Is there skins?
I think the GUI is fine except for those big bold ugly letters. I just wish they would chill out the font a bit, more like Electra2.Otherwise the knobs and controls and layout is all fine.

rubez wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:00 pm Is there skins?
I tried to make skins. I wish there were more!

https://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=3461

https://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=3457

PhaseTransition wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:39 pm
rubez wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:00 pm Is there skins?
I tried to make skins. I wish there were more!

https://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=3461

https://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=3457
pics?

Here is a skin I made for Icarus2 for my own use.
Only the small size cause that's what fits on my screen resolution.
I find the original skin uninviting (too dark/ too industrial) and it really doesn't do this synth justice.

Or if that link doesn't work here is a Preview:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MQCT_5 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by lights on Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your Advert Here!!!

Last edited by PhaseTransition on Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lights wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:20 pm I find the original skin uninviting (too dark/ too industrial) and it really doesn't do this synth justice.
I thougth so too. I wish that guys like Voger Design would put their hands on Icarus.

PhaseTransition wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:38 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:25 pm pics?
viewtopic.php?t=536392
viewtopic.php?t=536633
Infinitely better fonts. Can’t say I’m a huge fan of either knob style though. Though otherwise they look nice.

Return to “Instruments”