Upgrading Audio Interface Steinberg, MOTU, Focusrite, or others?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for help evaluating some options or getting recommendations for a new audio interface. I've done some research into it (farther down below).

Here is some context:

I've had a Steinberg UR22mkII USB 2.0 interface for years, but I always felt the sound output was rather quiet/fainter than I'd like on the headphone output. It's challenging to hear the output of a basic piano VST from my daw, somewhat. I realize I shouldn't listen to things at too loud a volume, but it's strange.

Recently I've been learning more about different impedences depending on the interface and headphones. I figure this interface was not well-suited.

I'd like to upgrade the audio interface (my budget is between ~$300 and ~$500) and make sure it can power a fair selection of headphones and studio monitors with decent enough headroom.

Here is my current equipment:

My headphones are the AudioTechnica m50x and the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro at 64 ohms. I would also like the ability to use headphones with greater requirements e.g. 150-250 ohms. The Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headphones are an example. .. or the Sennheiser 660ses

My machine is a MacBook Pro running the latest version of the OS.
Lastly, I use Yamaha HS7 studio monitors.

I've been looking at 3 audio interfaces so far, but I'm open to other/better suggestions:

Steinberg UR44c:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface
Pros: has all the inputs and outputs I need, uses an external power source instead of relying on bus power
Cons: for all I know, it's just as bad as what I have now for the headphones I have in mind. It might not be able to handle a higher number of ohms for example, or might struggle with my current headphones depending on the sensitivity.
This review for the smaller ur22c model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa27hkj3G8 suggests that the headphone amp is not so good for lower impedance headphones, and the recording distortion seems bad. I assume the ur44c is no different(?) but who knows?

MOTU M4:
Pros: Also has the inputs/outputs I need. I read good things about its ability to power things. Also, are its specs better than the UR44c? The same reviewer from before praises the M2 version of this interface for its headphone out power (there's a bigger comparison video that talks about this at-length): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ednXYd1pA
Cons: Seems to be exclusively bus-powered, and I have a lot of other power-hungry things connected to my laptop. The reviewer mentions some sort of weird noise spike, though hopefully that's not terrible, and there's some low frequency rumble when phantom power is on but being unused, which is a weird quirk.

Focusrite Scarlett 18i8:
Pros: External powered, has the plugs I need, seems popular
Cons: I'm reading that there may be some connectivity issues and audio quality popping issues, but I'm not sure if that's the general case. Also, I'm not sure if it can handle everything I need.

MOTU Ultralite MK5
Pros: External powered, hopefully have all the pros of the M4, hopefully has good headphone out power
Cons: It's too new to say what is bad about it. Does anyone know anything?

Here's a big comparison video for the headphone specs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLShpyzwvJs

I was considering whether there was some headphone amp I could get, but I'd really prefer to have a standalone unit. As for loudness, I do have a little ringing in the ears unfortunately, so making sure I get something that doesn't have way too much distortion or potential to get me listening at too loud a volume is good too.

I could also consider getting a different pair of headphones, but I don't think that's the problem.

Hopefully this is enough to start a discussion. May I have thoughts and suggestions, and maybe some more concrete pros / cons from experience? I figure that some of you might have these interfaces and could talk about them, and maybe the specs could be interpreted by those with more experience and knowledge.

Long story short, I am leaning towards the MOTU Ultralite MK5 or the MOTU M4 if the UR44c is going to bring the same issues as the ur22mkII and ur22c mentioned in the video.

One last possibility: just get a pricer device that'll last a long time. I was referred to an RME Fireface. If it's a panacea that would work well with all sorts of headphones... maybe it's worth it.

Thanks for your time!
Last edited by synchronizer on Sun May 02, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have the M4, connected to a MBP 16” with two dongles filled up and there are no problems with the bus power whatsoever. Plenty of headroom for headphones. I’m very satisfied, and when I need more IO I will upgrade to another MOTU.
Last edited by perpetual3 on Sun May 02, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perpetual3 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:12 pm I have the M4, connected to a MBP 16” with two singles filled up and there are no problems with the bus power whatsoever. Plenty of headroom for headphones. I’m very satisfied, and when I need more IO I will upgrade to another MOTU.
Thanks. What do you mean by "singles?"

I added to my original post that ... maybe I should consider a more expense one to support things like the Sennheiser 660s AND the AT m50x?
I am concerned about noise/distortion and mic recording as well... and driving studio monitors.

So I am wondering how the newer powered MOTU I mentioned would fare.

synchronizer wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:25 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:12 pm I have the M4, connected to a MBP 16” with two singles filled up and there are no problems with the bus power whatsoever. Plenty of headroom for headphones. I’m very satisfied, and when I need more IO I will upgrade to another MOTU.
Thanks. What do you mean by "singles?"

I added to my original post that ... maybe I should consider a more expense one to support things like the Sennheiser 660s AND the AT m50x?
I am concerned about noise/distortion and mic recording as well... and driving studio monitors.

So I am wondering how the newer powered MOTU I mentioned would fare.
Ack. I meant dongles. I have no problems with noise during recording, lots of headroom there too. It sounds very good to me, but I have no experience with mics.

Okay, that is good to know. It really would be nice to be able to try it out, though.
I'm definitely leaning towards the MOTU M4 and UltraLite-mk5, but I'm hoping to get more testimonials from those who've tried multiple headphones and interfaces, and so on.

One more thing: MOTU includes CueMix software to control various aspects of its audio interfaces, including sample buffer size. DAWs like Cubase have a way of controlling the sample buffer as well. Can I use Cubase then, or must I use CueMix directly for that sort of configuration?

synchronizer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 am One more thing: MOTU includes CueMix software to control various aspects of its audio interfaces, including sample buffer size. DAWs like Cubase have a way of controlling the sample buffer as well. Can I use Cubase then, or must I use CueMix directly for that sort of configuration?
The M4 doesn’t include cue mix; all parameters are set via the host (Bitwig in my case).

I think the ultralite includes it then. If CueMix is included, does that mean I MUST use it to configure the sample buffer size instead of in the DAW?

synchronizer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:03 am I think the ultralite includes it then. If CueMix is included, does that mean I MUST use it to configure the sample buffer size instead of in the DAW?
I don’t think it’s required, but I don’t know for sure.

I'd consider UAD, you can use UAD Plugins

HREQ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:18 am I'd consider UAD, you can use UAD Plugins
Something to consider. I believe the cheapest UAD interface would be $200 more than the MK5. As far as the UAD plugins, the included ones are pretty good, especially if you don’t have native equivalents, but they are expensive. I have a satellite that I rarely use.

Oh, would UAD have been much better quality for all headphone types? I don’t see many/any with MIDI ports, though separate usb MIDI isn’t bad.

I already went with the Mk5 MOTU, though I haven’t yet opened the box...

synchronizer wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:38 pm Oh, would UAD have been much better quality for all headphone types? I don’t see many/any with MIDI ports, though separate usb MIDI isn’t bad.

I already went with the Mk5 MOTU, though I haven’t yet opened the box...
You’ll have to check and see what the mW and ohm ratings are.

Where do you find the mW and ohm ratings?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”