What are you (re)Learning?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I played Travis style in my younger years but put it away because I didn't see it applying to reallife playing at the time. Every once in awhile I try to relearn it. (Like 3 years ago) I came across this yt video and got hooked again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrc5J99vnQc
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

i am learning that only giggles matter.
and adrenaline rush too.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

hey, it does happen while learning a song on the guitar?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

scales. bit rusty on note/neck after most of winter unable to do much guitar :(
stupid pain.

Finishing the final 50 pages of William Leavitt's A Modern Method for Guitar. Can't believe how fast I can learn!

My 'native' instrument is piano/keyboard but I love playing guitar the more I practice.

Here is a thing about learning in the abstract. If you learn something in a song you might have it for that song and nothing more. If you learn something as a method or approach you have that method which will sustain you making other songs of the same vein easier and you'll be more likely to use those same approaches / techniques to write your own material.

Re
William Leavitt's A Modern Method for Guitar.

When I was studying standard notation I was handed Melodic Rhythms for Guitar 1st edition (1969) by William Leavitt. Some of the melodies were so corny I couldn't believe my ears. But by the time I'd finished all the exercises I could sight read melodies cold. It's something that most guitar players would never attempt these days. Pick up a sheet of music and play what is written whether you've heard it or not.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Actual chords. I've been playing for several years, but never bothered learning much more than power chords because it was all I really needed. Now that I'm at the point where I feel like an ok player otherwise, I feel kinda silly not even knowing cowboy chords.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

That was my savings grace when I was in High School. I understood rhythm charts and could play a wide variety of chords. As a consequence I could figure out songs fairly quickly and easily. On the otherhand I was very insecure when it came to leads. I'd always be banished to rhythm guitar in various bands/duets because I had a bear of a time playing scales and solos.

Travis picking is where I'm at at the moment too.

I was (re)learning a few Hendrix songs on Rocksmith. They put a lot more effort into transcribing every subtlety of his playing, much more than other artists.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Chemo in 2019 saved my life but left me with nerve damage in my hands and feet. I can play enough to accompany my singing, which was mostly all I ever did before. But what I've learned is that identifying what you want and being able to make it happen is skill. Being able to do it quickly enough that you don't see it as a process is talent.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

working on my right hand
- I've spent x-amount of years concentrating on the fretboard(harmony/positions/thumb placement/scales/etc) . . . what happens when I work more on the strum/fingers ?
for me ; interesting s**t at the moment
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Larry Carlton says that after he gets off a long tour he puts down the guitar for a few months and all of his chops whither. He does it so they don't become stale even though he hates the work to bring them back. Still not as bad as chemo or a heart attack.

A buddy of mine is a known jazz guitarist. He's been on downbeat and several other national jazz magazine covers. He decided after decades of not skiing that he'd hit the slopes. Broken bones everywhere it took almost a year to get his chops back. The next year he had a heart attack. Lost all of his chops and it took almost 2 years to be able to play at a proficiency level to where he could play in front of others. Never mind he still had to put food on the table and owned a guitar store. Determination paid off.

When the old ways don't work for you, consider new ones.
Pat Martino also had a heart attack and had to relearn everything. Martino charted his own jazz path with "Sacred Geometry of Scales" Pushing theory in practice beyond Coltrane. When trying to rebuild he had to focus on what he could do. He opted for reharmonization but the melodies/solos were derived from one scale the minor 6 pentatonic (1-b3-4-6) he'd superimpose and transpose the scale modally over various complex harmonies. The public even many jazz aficionados just thought it was Pat.

If it doesn't have a challenge value what's the worth? Then again why push all that hate and frustration on yourself? Kind of like Chess, f=15&t=557785&p=7980624&hilit=chess#p7980624

I've recently been relearning to visualise the fretboard, this time in terms of individual notes forming intervals in relation to the current chord's root note.

Basically trying to relearn everything. It's been a couple of decades since I played regularly, and even back then I didn't really know much outside of cowboy and power chords.

Return to “Guitars”