First Hardware synth for a trance producer?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
KVRAF
6099 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:38 pm

kritikon wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:02 pm
Halonmusic wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:19 am
Oldskool or modern trance? for oldskool, you really don't need any synth with a super/hyper/gorillasaw. Any polysynth would do actually.
Quite right. Age of Love is probably one of the quintessential and IMO still unbettered classics of trance. Not a single hoover or supersaw in sight. In fact it's quite sparse - part of why it's so effective. It will always be a better track than most of these ridiculous supersaw-filled trance tracks - and so many in recent years became even more silly with the addition of thick layers of white noise over the already noisy saws.
Indeed. Age Of Love is a classic. What a track! :)
I'm sadly waiting for the next generation of trance, which will be a solid wall of white noise from 20Hz-20kHz over the top of sixteen kick drums. :?
that wouldn't surprise me tbh. I'ts not really trance anymore sadly :(
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket |
SoundCloud - Bandcamp

addled muppet weed
79276 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:40 pm

you not heard 1000 by moby? :lol:

KVRAF
6099 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:57 pm

just did. nice one that :)
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket |
SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRer
2 posts since 5 Mar, 2021

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:48 am

Love this thread. Thinking of buying a Juno soon

KVRAF
5321 posts since 24 May, 2002 from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Post Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:27 am

freezy97 wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:48 am
Love this thread. Thinking of buying a Juno soon
Dunno what price Junos go for nowadays - not cheap I'd imagine. If I were starting out now, knowing what I know now - think I'd go for either a Korg MiniLogue or a Behringer Deepmind. If you want the Juno sound and analogue, the Behringer makes more sense and you get some pretty lush FX with that too - and a whole load more flexibility and 6 more voices. If you want a tad more aggressive character, then the Korg. Likely both cheaper than a Juno.

Junos are pretty limited - still have a 106 and an Alpha2 - sadly the Deepmind knocks spots off both of them. TBH the 106 rarely gets switched on now - It's an ashtray holder (well - I don't smoke any more, so it can hold a glass of shiraz on one side and a glass of Kraken rum on the other side). At my age, more likely a mug of Horlicks with a Gaviscon chaser... :hihi:

KVRian
1164 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:30 pm

Well... If somebody want to do beaten to death Trance based on Super/HyperSaw of JP8k/Virus then recommending old synths that are unable to generate it is absolutely pointless.

By saying that, if somebody is looking for a synth for modern Trance aka Melodic Techno aka Trance From Early 90's BUT 30 BPM Slower, then old synths like Juno, JV or even Odyssey etc. are more than welcome and will be more useful than any Jp/Virus clone.

Ps. Yes I would definitely recommend JV1080 if somebody loves to suffer with tiny screen, buttons and only 1 knob for parameters... Which I have currently for sale 😁 It can't do SuperSaw but it has great E. Piano if somebody wants to clone Gouryella - Valhalla ;)
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

KVRAF
1644 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Mon May 10, 2021 11:53 pm

you guys gotta get in the habbit of looking at the dates on these threads. 2013? c'mon, even the title is a giveaway, no one does trance anymore

Return to β€œHardware (Instruments and Effects)”