KORG Minilogue XD Desktop Module

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just saw this in a shop website as a "coming soon". It's the same price as the keyboard version.

Last edited by BONES on Tue May 11, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Was just looking to see if there were any posts or feedback on the XD as some of the demos I have heard on YT (whilst checking out the NTS-1) have been outstanding....now there are so many more options for the user oscillator and fx this is a compelling little synth. I like the ski key version myself, if you have the space there isn’t much difference in price (20 quid in the UK) and I always find it nice to have the option of playing it standalone.

Anyone actually got one?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

After hearing what the NTS-1 can do, it certainly puts the MiniXD into a new perspective. It's a lot of synth for the money and probably something I'd prefer to Analog Keys. I think we'll both need to look into it more.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Small, but meaningful typo in the thread title.

I think the cheap, basic mini keyboard did not do any justice for the synth itself, just wasting studio space, so this module is more interesting- but it could still use one more voice.

.jon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:02 am Small, but meaningful typo in the thread title.
Yes, the image is a Minilogue XD which is a 4-voice polyphonic, 3 oscillator synth.
2 VCO, and the very flexible multiengine which is digital.

And knob per feature on panel making fun-factor magnitudes better than any Uno Pro that some hausse beyond recognition, even being just mono/para.

Minilogue XD is same as Prologue basically which start at 8-voice( or 2x4 voice parts). I bought 5-6 user oscillators and the rest as free ones to extend even further. XD advantage is step sequencer which Prologue lack.

It's the step sequencer that really appeals (quite electron like) an the joystick is also very cool (again, reminiscent of Analog keys maybe) and can be recorded on the step sequencer.

That 3rd oscillator can also be 2 oscillator (plenty of 3rd part examples), I posted a load of stuff on the NTS-1 thread as it is truly amazing what that 3rd oscillator can be, much much more than just a 3rd oscillator ..more like anther synth!

The firmware updates since release seem very solid as well, V2 firmware added a lot...I am definitely one at some point!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

.jon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:02 amSmall, but meaningful typo in the thread title.
Not really a typo, just the wrong synth name. Or a Freudian slip, I like Monologue more than Minilogue. Fixed now.
I think the cheap, basic mini keyboard did not do any justice for the synth itself, just wasting studio space, so this module is more interesting- but it could still use one more voice.
I think the keyboard is fine. Not as good as a KeyStep but very usable. I've found I prefer mini keys to full size ones and if I got rid of my Analog Keys and Ultranova for a Minilogue XD, I'd have nothing else but, which would be kinda cool. I'll never own another module, it annoys the krap out of me that I can't get them to make a sound without hooking them up to other stuff. May as well just use a VSTi.
lfm wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:08 amAnd knob per feature on panel making fun-factor magnitudes better than any Uno Pro that some hausse beyond recognition, even being just mono/para.
Sorry but that's not even close to true. On the contrary, the more knobs you have that don't show the current value, the more annoying it is. I hated patching my Minilogue way, way more than any of the half-a-dozen synths I've owned with an edit matrix like the Uno's (CS1x, CS2x, Ultranova, MicroMonsta, Pulse 2, Uno and Uno Pro). I think the original Uno sounds a lot better than the original Minilogue, too. Minilogue was too generic, Uno has real character and Uno Pro sounds even better, even when operating in paraphonic mode. I like the sound of Monologue better than Minilogue, too. The extra oscillator and effects in the XD would almost certainly fix that lack of character, though, and for only $100 more, I don't know how Korg will ever sell another standard Minilogue.
Last edited by BONES on Tue May 11, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

How are the envelopes? My friend returned a monologue because he hated the envelopes. For me, envelopes on a synth are key.

Did he hate the way they worked for the fact that were AD only?

BONES wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:50 am Did he hate the way they worked for the fact that were AD only?
He said very narrow range for sweet spots.

I have seen nothing but glowing reviews for the 'XD' vision and I have listened to a ton of videos (including the no talking all 200 pre-sets!). It works for me :tu:

I found on eon Thomann B Stock £399 (synth, not module) so ordered it....Let you know next week assuming the 'export' from EU to UK goes OK! (I also have my NTS-1 arriving today s can now justify buying 3rd arty oscillators and fx for that as they will also go in the XD :D ) I am starting with these (VS and DW8000!) :wink: I am nothing if not all in'! (both for $28!)

https://youtu.be/aD9tEtvZbAU

https://youtu.be/OD9DLSilkdw

https://www.soundmangling.com/useroscillators/

I own the XD and love it!
I have no issue with the envelope, it’s not the snappiest but Works just fine for my needs.
I have around 20 digital oscillators for it and that’s what makes the XD so versatile.
Great value for the price.

SLiC wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:52 pm Was just looking to see if there were any posts or feedback on the XD as some of the demos I have heard on YT (whilst checking out the NTS-1) have been outstanding....now there are so many more options for the user oscillator and fx this is a compelling little synth. I like the ski key version myself, if you have the space there isn’t much difference in price (20 quid in the UK) and I always find it nice to have the option of playing it standalone.

Anyone actually got one?
I loved it for a while then started to hate it, frustrated by its limitations. The modulation options are very limited and the analogue purity of tone didn't really seem to be in a par with what I can get from the Roland SE-02 or various Behringer clones. In fact, I've been deterred from buying the Prolog out of fear it might just be a bigger version of this.

Don't get me wrong. You can get some decent sounds from it. I was able to get some interesting guitar and horn like sounds, in particular. But ultimately I found it dispiriting.

The keyboard I actually liked. It feels much more usable than other mini-key keyboards.

That fact that you can "record" modulation in the step sequencer is very interesting. You can, for example, just record the modulation (twiddling the knobs) without any notes. Then when you run the sequencer, it will play back your modulations. This could have gone a long way to making up for the lack of LFOs and envelopes. But, unfortunately, it is still of quite limited usefulness because the sequence runs in its own time. So, if you've recorded a filter sweep modulation, for example, you will have to time your playing of the notes to make sure it occurs at the right time in the looping sequence. If you had been able to have the sequence triggered by a key press, it would have been much more useful. Maybe they could change that some time in future via firmware.

.jon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:02 amI think the cheap, basic mini keyboard did not do any justice for the synth itself, just wasting studio space, so this module is more interesting- but it could still use one more voice.
I bought the XD but immediately hated the tiny keys and returned it in the return window. I thought the synth itself was quite good and appreciated the FX as well. Never got to explore it that much.

BONES wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:24 am
lfm wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:08 amAnd knob per feature on panel making fun-factor magnitudes better than any Uno Pro that some hausse beyond recognition, even being just mono/para.
Sorry but that's not even close to true. On the contrary, the more knobs you have that don't show the current value, the more annoying it is. I hated patching my Minilogue way, way more than any of the half-a-dozen synths I've owned with an edit matrix like the Uno's (CS1x, CS2x, Ultranova, MicroMonsta, Pulse 2, Uno and Uno Pro).
I would be suprised if XD did not have what Prologue have
- knob value shown in display as you tweak it
- a star in front of value and arrows show where the stored value of current preset is

So coming back to a preset, you can dial in what is stored nicely and continue working on it - and separate knobs for each envelope makes all the difference.

Personally I do a lot of fine tuning envelopes with one hand on attack on amp and other on filter - to find sweetspot. Just have arpeggiator running to hear as you tweak. I go by ear alone for this.

Same with decay and envelope amount and frequency cutoff.

What you get is highly dependent on relationship between these.
- increase envelope amount but lower frequency a bit
- the dynamic transistion makes all the difference for me
- sometimes a very narrow range to like or indifference

One thing I have against synths with button which envelope you work on, like DeepMind, Wavestate etc. KingKorg as well.

I saw this comparison between DeepMind and Juno 106, and just for having separate sliders for envelopes would make you take Juno.

Press a button and then tweak knob, and press to other envelope and tweak knob again - ruins the fun for me.

And to even compare a paraphonic where envelopes are shared among keys pressed as a chord is just weird, like on Uno Pro or any paraphonic. Doing an arpeggiated chord, all keys down at end - useless. Envelopes are already gone and the other keys are on/off - at sustain point.

Envelopes are such a vital part IMO.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”