Single cycle waveform rips from old digital gear

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

More specifically I found a collection of Jd-800 single cycle wave forms on a site that created a jd-800 vsti emulation but can't seem to access it right now

Anyone in the know as to where it gone too

Since reading about wavetable synthesis I would like to design sounds with wavetable creators stolen from old pcm or digital synths/keys/modules or memory card patch rips

If you can link me or whatever that would be awesome, thanks

http://www.modularsynth.co.uk/patchpages/jaded800.shtml

Found the jd-800 emulation thing

Still definitely interested in more lofi single cycle waveforms if you know of them

matthewisgrand wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:33 pm More specifically I found a collection of Jd-800 single cycle wave forms on a site that created a jd-800 vsti emulation but can't seem to access it right now

Since reading about wavetable synthesis I would like to design sounds with wavetable creators stolen from old pcm or digital synths/keys/modules or memory card patch rips

I am not sure where the Adventure Kid waveforms are actually from, but you can check them out:
https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/wavefo ... waveforms/
Last edited by Examigan on Wed May 12, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cool thanks

I've been trying to make some single-cycle waveforms and wavetables with my modular synth and really struggling to find an appropriate tool for trimming cycles exactly. The time-honoured approach seems to be pitching a note to a somewhat friendly frequency and then cutting with an editor, but this is still going to introduce a bit of distortion as the ends will not line up perfectly.

I'm been playing with some Python code to interpolate the waveform and resample an exact zero-to-zero cycle. But there is probably still a discontinuity in the gradient :scared:

imrae wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:24 pm I've been trying to make some single-cycle waveforms and wavetables with my modular synth and really struggling to find an appropriate tool for trimming cycles exactly. The time-honoured approach seems to be pitching a note to a somewhat friendly frequency and then cutting with an editor, but this is still going to introduce a bit of distortion as the ends will not line up perfectly.
had good results with audacity when cutting waves. arranging them to wavetables is tricky though.
Last edited by garryO on Thu May 13, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zero cross point editing will get you there.
Anything other than that will leave artifacts.

You can do the maths... if we assume a single cycle in a wt synth takes 2048 samples, then let's compute 44100 samples per second / 2048 samples per cycle ~ 21.5 cycles per second ... if you look up which musical note has the frequency of 21.5 then closest is F0 with 21.83... tweak it by a few cents and then sample it... voila!
if I remember correctly AdventureKit additionally to the samples gas a writeup how he created the samples...

In Vital Synth you could live a little more comfortabel because in Vital you can set the size of your single cycle as you wish. Like if you have a sample at c4 the set the cycle size ... or even better let vital set it for you.
viral afaik even lets you then export these folliwing the 2048 definition.

Another method is using resampling facilities of synths like tone2 icarus. You start with an arbitrary sample of a single pitch and let the resample import it for you.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Wed May 12, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I’d like to make a wavetable from the Sub Phatty I have here but never got around to it.

yes with vital you can make stuff like this quickly...

wanted to upload an example wt but kvr says its to big...

I haven't tried it in Vital yet, but I found when importing synth sweeps into Europa (which also has sample->wavetable import) that it didn't work reliably. While filter sweeps of simple waveforms seem to work ok, synced waveforms or sub-containing waveforms are detected incorrectly and the resulting table contains different parts of the fundamental cycle in different slots. I think a bit of user-intervention is needed to solve those cases.

matthewisgrand wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:33 pm More specifically I found a collection of Jd-800 single cycle wave forms on a site that created a jd-800 vsti emulation but can't seem to access it right now

E-mu factory roms (Orbit, Mo, Protheus etc.) here and lots of E-mu sampler content, probably shared by the owners themselves: https://rolls.bublup.com/view/4de21613- ... 59b433c940 - The sound central seems to spread them like a priest holy water.

You should differ between the modern understanding of wavetables and the old single cycles that were just looped short samples played back with a sampler engine. Real "Wavetables" are band limited to avoid aliasing / frequencys above nyquist and only contain frequency content that is a multiple (even or odd) of the fundamental. I guess that´s why modern synths sound that boring to me :D

I have made surprisingly good "old school" results here with short loops. I generate them with Halion (recommended, alternatively MPC software). Mono!

May the E-mu´s inspire you. It´s pretty impressing to look behind their curtains ans see what they made with milliseconds.

Nice one
I use Halion too

Return to “Instruments”