[Medieval/Folk Electro] - Freya's Dance.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRist

Topic Starter

380 posts since 4 Feb, 2021

Post Tue May 11, 2021 2:38 am

Thanks, Sir. You are too kind (deep bow).
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154
"First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or obligue motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 11, 2021 2:40 am

Donkey Tugger:

I have uploaded some versions of both tracks where I listen to my headphones instead of the monitors. Would be great to hear what you think.

All the best
"First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or obligue motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Boss Lovin' DR
7978 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Tue May 11, 2021 1:47 pm

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:40 am
Donkey Tugger:

I have uploaded some versions of both tracks where I listen to my headphones instead of the monitors. Would be great to hear what you think.

All the best
Valkyrie is much fuller in the bass, and a better overall mix - missing a bit in the middle though. Try giving it a very broad eq bump centred at around 600k and you'll see that it really brings the detail to the front, without being harsh.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 11, 2021 2:07 pm

Ok, I will try to do that and see if I can restore a little more bass on Freya´s Dance. Sometime tomorrow (it is past midnight here). I will return when done. Thanks so much for your time, DT :hug:

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed May 12, 2021 3:53 am

donkey tugger wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:47 pm
Valkyrie is much fuller in the bass, and a better overall mix - missing a bit in the middle though. Try giving it a very broad eq bump centred at around 600k and you'll see that it really brings the detail to the front, without being harsh.
Oki. I have tried to restore more mids on Valkyrie and went back to the original mix of Freya´s Dance to restore a wider bass range.

If this works, I am done using monitors and will stick to my BD DT770 Pro headphones for the future.

KVRian
652 posts since 3 Jul, 2017

Post Wed May 12, 2021 8:36 am

what? Mittelalter happenings, alle rennen rum in alten Klamotten und spielen Karl May für Walther von der Vogelweide. mir graust schon.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed May 12, 2021 10:42 am

"Ich bin ze lange arm gewesen ân mînen danc.
Ich was sô voller scheltens daz mîn âten stanc:
daz hât der künec gemachet reine, und dar zuo mînen sanc."
(Walther)

Klar, die Karl may Speile. Mit mittelalter bratwurst und bier. Keine angst. Es ist herrlich. :harp: :violin:

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 18, 2021 11:59 am

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:35 pm
You'd never guess I taught and lectured in Music / Music Tech for 30+ years? :)
Well, I did see your CV on Soundcloud, but it is no surprise nevertheless. I connected to your account as follower. I am admittingly just a composer who been taught it as craftmanship the old school way with Fux, choral harmonizations, species counterpoint in Jeppesen style and a little Jazz harmonization and polyrhythmics (percussion). Just enough to the road. Wouldn't try to teach anyone any day. It is all just for my own pleasure. However, I suck at mixing and mastering, that is the all work and no play part for me. I am just a mediocre composer who wants to compose, thanks.

Try to listen now. I have taken some of your advices into account. It is my monitors that fools me, for the future, I will mix in my BD DT770, they seem to be more in correspondance with feedback.
2nd Listen: Flute that enters around 30 seconds - it's a little out of tune again! :) Is it a sample loop or something as the same sound was out of tune last time as well at first?
No, laziness. I removed one of the worst out of tune flutes but forgot this one. It is only slightly, so I figured no one else but you would notice, and I was right. No complaints so far :hihi:

Thanks again.
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Tue May 18, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRian
1097 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Tue May 18, 2021 3:13 pm

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:59 am
ChameleonMusic wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:35 pm
You'd never guess I taught and lectured in Music / Music Tech for 30+ years? :)
Well, I did see your CV on Soundcloud, but it is no surprise nevertheless. I connected to your account as follower. I am admittingly just a composer who been taught it as craftmanship the old school way with Fux, choral harmonizations, species counterpoint in Jeppesen style and a little Jazz harmonization. Wouldn't try to teach anyone any day. It is all just for my own pleasure. However, I suck at mixing and mastering, that is the all work and no pay part for me. I am just a mediocre composer who wants to compose, thanks.

Try to listen now. I have taken some of your advices into account. It is my monitors that fools me, for the future, I will mix in my BD DT770, they seem to be more in correspondance with feedback.
2nd Listen: Flute that enters around 30 seconds - it's a little out of tune again! :) Is it a sample loop or something as the same sound was out of tune last time as well at first?
No, laziness. I removed one of the worst out of tune flutes but forgot this one. It is only slightly, so I figured no one else but you would notice, and I was right. No complaints so far :hihi:

Thanks again.
Long time since I heard anyone mention Johann Fux! :)

Sad, but true..."The Study of Counterpoint: From his Gradus ad Parnassum" still sits on my shelves of music books!

Woah! Jeppesen as well and his totally understandable obsession with Palestrina! :)

I have a private student studying Species Counterpoint at the moment...he hasn't quite grasped the proper significance of the underlying Cantus Firmus yet, but he'll get there once it 'clicks'!

Yeah, Intonation - I do bite my tongue as much as possible...having a serious sense of perfect pitch / absolute pitch (whatever you want to call it) is actually quite a negative at times!

Mixing and mastering - no you seriously do NOT suck at it! :) It's just like learning an instrument / music theory /compositional technique (or anything else) it just takes time and a bit of trial and error along the way to find out what works well for you in your studio.

I should know better both musically and production-wise after doing it all for so many decades, but I still screw it up on both counts with monotonous regularity! :)

Yes, I think it sounds a lot more balanced now + more solid with a bit more punch as well.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 18, 2021 3:24 pm

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:13 pm
Yes, I think it sounds a lot more balanced now + more solid with a bit more punch as well.
Oh, thanks man. After a long fight I got satisfied in my headphones with that one, so I hoped it worked on other systems. Those DT770s are my savior. I feel like trashing my monitors. Their dump heavy basses are misleading on every other system.
ChameleonMusic wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:13 pm
Woah! Jeppesen as well and his totally understandable obsession with Palestrina! :)
I am pretty lost too. It was Jeppesen who drove me towards medieval polyphony in the first place. No other cared a bit, so I got curious. Today there are a still few who would understand why I can freak out to music like this, but I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9naa5YvyDU :lol:
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Wed May 19, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
21979 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Tue May 18, 2021 3:29 pm

I had to take mixing seriously for around 3 yrs before I didn't totally suck at it. For me it meant getting things I understood well from a well-ergonomic UI design; in particular, compressors, particularly one vendor's. I have things I know virtually nothing about (models of old hardware units), the presets are good and good starts (and enough of them) but I won't have gotten good with that. One thing I do not see in advices here, IME not at all, is pay close attention to how much space a thing in the mix uses up, many problems arise out of lack of space, lack of oxygen to move around in.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed May 19, 2021 12:45 pm

jancivil wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:29 pm
pay close attention to how much space a thing in the mix uses up, many problems arise out of lack of space, lack of oxygen to move around in.
No sht, Jan. I tend to fill out every possible space until it is but a brick wall of sound; the bubble breaches, details drown, music can’t breath, working memory is on overload, and I have to go through so many kill-your-darlings to fix the clusterfck that I feel like a serial killer. Wish I just could decide to stop in time instead of overcooking. Would deffo make mixing easier too.

KVRian
1097 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Wed May 19, 2021 2:21 pm

jancivil wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:29 pm
I had to take mixing seriously for around 3 yrs before I didn't totally suck at it. For me it meant getting things I understood well from a well-ergonomic UI design; in particular, compressors, particularly one vendor's. I have things I know virtually nothing about (models of old hardware units), the presets are good and good starts (and enough of them) but I won't have gotten good with that. One thing I do not see in advices here, IME not at all, is pay close attention to how much space a thing in the mix uses up, many problems arise out of lack of space, lack of oxygen to move around in.
Ha! Jan, you clearly missed my ongoing obsession with telling everyone I could about the 3D sound stage and how each sound has to be placed in it very carefully! It went on for weeks! :) :borg: :ud:
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

KVRAF
5653 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Wed May 19, 2021 5:57 pm

I listened to current version of "Freya's Dance." I found the melodies/riffs to be singable and attractive.

With the duration of 5+ minutes and all of the quantized parts, I started to lose interest a little. With the "medieval/folk" label, I was expecting more hand played parts with variations in timing and dynamics.

Nice job overall. :tu:

KVRAF
7651 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Wed May 19, 2021 7:45 pm

it was good.
i can see a bunch of drunken pirates getting down and twerking to it. :idea:
the main melody gets a bit stale after a while however, considering the length.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”