Synths with aftertouch and velocity controls?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Like many people, I don't have an AT-capable Midi keyboard, so I was wondering why so few synths come with an AT control on their GUIs. This way one could still make and test patches that use AT, for instance for sharing or even selling.

To a certain extent, the same goes for a velocity control, although many more Midi controllers are velocity-sensitive of course. But some people only use the virtual keyboard of their DAW. Some synths have velocity-senstive virtual keyboards built in, which is useful.

After all, most synths do come with pitch bend and modulation wheels on their GUIs...

Oddly, Reaper does not seem to record the data of such virtual controls, strange. But at least they are good enough for testing the settings of a new patch...

draw it in the piano roll / midi track

AT is normally in a matrix, so you can assign it to various parameters and adjust amount, same with velocity

AnX wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:20 pm draw it in the piano roll / midi track

AT is normally in a matrix, so you can assign it to various parameters and adjust amount, same with velocity
Assigning as such via a mod matrix is no problem for me, either, but without an AT-enabled keyboard it is difficult to know if the assignment is set up correctly, maybe it's too much, maybe too little.

that's why I said draw it in

it used to be that things like velocity and aftertouch were set in the controller, not the instrument. when vsti's took over, velocity became standardized for vsti's for routing modulation purposes, but aftertouch and poly pressure didn't migrate well, or were ignored....because many new/cheap controllers didn't have that capability.

people were no longer playing instruments after all, they were programming them.

AnX wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:36 pm that's why I said draw it in
Well, I could do that with the pitch and modulation wheels as well, but I have dedicated controls for both right there on the GUI :wink:

and how would an AT control work?

AnX wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:43 pm and how would an AT control work?
The new Invader synth has a dedicated AT wheel on the GUI.
Although I am not sure yet what it applies to as it doesn't have a mod matrix, nor is there a manual... 8)

PS: Just noticed that there is a dropdown menu underneath the wheel, where one can select a couple of parameters. But the wheel doesn't seem to do anything when moving it.

You can do this in Reaper- rclick track > MIDI track controls > show MIDI track control panel, enable Control Change and choose channel pressure for one, you get a slider.

Aftertouch is just a normal MIDI CC message.

Human brain is amazing and stupid, I haven't used Reaper in years so why do I still remember this.

.jon wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:59 pm You can do this in Reaper- rclick track > MIDI track controls > show MIDI track control panel, enable Control Change and choose channel pressure for one, you get a slider.

Aftertouch is just a normal MIDI CC message.

Human brain is amazing and stupid, I haven't used Reaper in years so why do I still remember this.
Interesting, thanks.

Basically I would like that slider to be on the synth's GUI...

e-crooner wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:10 pm Like many people, I don't have an AT-capable Midi keyboard, so I was wondering why so few synths come with an AT control on their GUIs.
I doubt that there's many who actually use virtual MIDI keyboards and their controls on synth plugins. And even less who would use Aftertouch with that virtual onboard MIDI keyboard.

Massive X has such a control though. FWIW.

chk071 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:29 pm
e-crooner wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:10 pm Like many people, I don't have an AT-capable Midi keyboard, so I was wondering why so few synths come with an AT control on their GUIs.
I doubt that there's many who actually use virtual MIDI keyboards and their controls on synth plugins. And even less who would use Aftertouch with that virtual onboard MIDI keyboard.

Massive X has such a control though. FWIW.
Agreed. Even when I'm mobile, and don't have one of my portable controllers along, I use the laptop's keyboard as virtual MIDI.

I do that sometimes when I'm too lazy to plug in my MIDI keyboard. You can set the velocity on most DAW included virtual MIDI keyboards.

E-Crooner already got his answer. Yes Invader has an AT Wheel but.....
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:11 am
e-crooner wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 pm How does the Aftertouch wheel work?
When I select the filter frequency and move the AT wheel with the mouse, nothing happens...
You still need to transmit aftertouch messages for it to respond. But assuming you are, it acts as an Aftertouch depth parameter. So you set LFO1 to modulate pitch for example, then use the Aftertouch wheel assigned to LFO1...when you send it Aftertouch messages, you'll hear the modulation.
So no different than a Mod Matrix Source/Destination /Amount.

Even if you don't have a controller with AT many will allow you to assign a knob or slider to send AT data.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:01 pm E-Crooner already got his answer. Yes Invader has an AT Wheel but.....
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:11 am
e-crooner wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 pm How does the Aftertouch wheel work?
When I select the filter frequency and move the AT wheel with the mouse, nothing happens...
You still need to transmit aftertouch messages for it to respond. But assuming you are, it acts as an Aftertouch depth parameter. So you set LFO1 to modulate pitch for example, then use the Aftertouch wheel assigned to LFO1...when you send it Aftertouch messages, you'll hear the modulation.
So no different than a Mod Matrix Source/Destination /Amount.

Even if you don't have a controller with AT many will allow you to assign a knob or slider to send AT data.
Strange Funky's post seems to have disappeared 8)

Anyway, so basically the AT wheel is not a performance control like the other two wheels, but a weird implementation of a mod slot or even a mere range specifier like the range field below the PB wheel?

That is not what I am looking after, though, I am looking for a control that replaces a Midi controller sending AT signals.

Return to “Instruments”