80s classic in Studio One

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRist
62 posts since 16 Nov, 2017 from Germany

Post Thu May 13, 2021 12:30 pm

:tu: Nicely done! Sounds very authentic and singable! really like it..maybe you should upload it also as karaoke version on youtube as well, if you havent already done...your voyage voyage arrangement easily might get lots of views.
Without ROLAND's awesome Synths, the greatest music decades in the 80s and 90s wouldn't exist the way they do now. :phones: And yes, I'm a big fan of Roland!

KVRist

Topic Starter

167 posts since 4 Jul, 2020

Post Thu May 13, 2021 10:44 pm

surreal wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:35 am
Very nice.. what synths were used?
Thanks!
I used soft synths (played on an Akai MPK Mini), as I only recently got my first hardware synth, a Korg Minilogue XD:

- Bass: 2 Dexed patches layered
- Chorus keys, verse pad, chorus pad and solo synth: TAL U-No-LX patches I made myself
- Arpeggiator in verse 2: Dexed, patch BLOCK from ROM 2A
- Strings in verse 2: Matrix Strings in Presence XT

All drums are Linn Drum from Addictive Drums 2, slightly modified and with gated reverb on the snare.

KVRAF
2060 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Fri May 14, 2021 5:14 am

LocalTrack19 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:44 pm
surreal wrote:
Thanks!
I used soft synths (played on an Akai MPK Mini), as I only recently got my first hardware synth, a Korg Minilogue XD:

- Chorus keys, verse pad, chorus pad and solo synth: TAL U-No-LX patches I made myself

All drums are Linn Drum from Addictive Drums 2, slightly modified and with gated reverb on the snare.
Thank you for your reply.. which two bass presets of Dexed did you use?

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Fri May 14, 2021 5:22 am

surreal wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:14 am
LocalTrack19 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:44 pm
surreal wrote:
Thanks!

Thank you for your reply.. which two bass presets of Dexed did you use?
2 non-factory patches I grabbed from the internet, called Pop Bass and DX bass. But any layering of a standard bass with a bass with an aggressive attack would work I suppose

GRRRRRRR!
11586 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Fri May 14, 2021 7:06 pm

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:31 am
Deleted... Can't be bothered with getting into certain sorts of conversations... No point!
i.e. You have no viable defence.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | JP6K, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Knifonium, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket.

KVRian
1097 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Fri May 14, 2021 10:38 pm

BONES wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:06 pm
ChameleonMusic wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:31 am
Deleted... Can't be bothered with getting into certain sorts of conversations... No point!
i.e. You have no viable defence.
That is so funny, bless! If only you understood how funny!

No, far from it... Far, far, far from it indeed.

You just get to work out over the years that some people on forums are never going to discuss anything sensibly or rationally so there's no point engaging with them.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

GRRRRRRR!

Post Sat May 15, 2021 2:41 am

Well, you do know that the advice you gave is rubbish, right? Therefore, it stands to reason that any defense you think you have is also very likely to be rubbish. Let me get you on the right track - what is an EQ but a series of low-pass, band-pass and high-pass filters? So why add more filters when your synths have filters of their own, equally capable of fine-tuning the frequencies in your sound? And why would you need compressors to shape your sound when your synths have extremely fine control over every aspect of that already? I've tried both ways, I know which works best.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | JP6K, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Knifonium, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket.

KVRian
556 posts since 2 Aug, 2013

Post Sun May 16, 2021 6:50 pm

BONES wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:41 am
Well, you do know that the advice you gave is rubbish, right? Therefore, it stands to reason that any defense you think you have is also very likely to be rubbish. Let me get you on the right track - what is an EQ but a series of low-pass, band-pass and high-pass filters? So why add more filters when your synths have filters of their own, equally capable of fine-tuning the frequencies in your sound? And why would you need compressors to shape your sound when your synths have extremely fine control over every aspect of that already? I've tried both ways, I know which works best.
That's how you work and it's fine. Synths don't always have multiple series of filters to begin with. So if a synth only has a single filter and it's already being used creatively, you're left with zero filters to mix with. Using an EQ to make room for other elements in the context of a mix is pretty necessary for a modern mix. Also compression can do things that a synths ADSR couldn't do. Sometimes you need the attack and the release to dynamically ride and dance with each other which can give that "glue" effect. I've never been in a session where we never slapped an EQ or compressor on at least a couple of raw synths.

So many cool tools out there to help out, embrace it.

GRRRRRRR!

Post Sun May 16, 2021 9:34 pm

I already did, I just discovered it was mostly bullshit. And that's the thing, I can play you the best mixes I have ever done, and you'd agree they are, and none of them will have more than one EQ on them (kick drum). The proof of the pudding is in the eating and it's really just an extension of a long-held principle of mine that keeping things simple is always better. I've just taken it to extremes in the last year or so and got measurable benefit from it.

Think harder - you use the filters to create a sound that works in a mix. What's the point of doing it any other way? You make a sound that is fabulous on its own, then cut the krap out of it to make it fit in a mix. Why? It's much better to tweak the patch instead. e.g. If a bassline is too bassy for your mix, turn down the sub-osc or tune one or more of your oscillators up an octave. These are all "creative" solutions, whereas refusing to even contemplate tweaking your filter is just dumb. Slapping an EQ on is just lazy.

I have absolutely no idea what "the attack and the release to dynamically ride and dance with each other which can give that "glue" effect" even means, but I imagine it's easy enough to manage in the synth, probably with your retrigger modes.

Of course, I am not saying you should never use EQ or compression, I was responding to someone who was suggesting you need to use it on every channel. There will always be times when it's the only way to fix a problem but it should be the last thing you think to do, not your first response.

KVRian

Post Sun May 16, 2021 10:25 pm

BONES wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:34 pm
I already did, I just discovered it was mostly bullshit. And that's the thing, I can play you the best mixes I have ever done, and you'd agree they are, and none of them will have more than one EQ on them (kick drum). The proof of the pudding is in the eating and it's really just an extension of a long-held principle of mine that keeping things simple is always better. I've just taken it to extremes in the last year or so and got measurable benefit from it.

Think harder - you use the filters to create a sound that works in a mix. What's the point of doing it any other way? You make a sound that is fabulous on its own, then cut the krap out of it to make it fit in a mix. Why? It's much better to tweak the patch instead. e.g. If a bassline is too bassy for your mix, turn down the sub-osc or tune one or more of your oscillators up an octave. These are all "creative" solutions, whereas refusing to even contemplate tweaking your filter is just dumb. Slapping an EQ on is just lazy.

I have absolutely no idea what "the attack and the release to dynamically ride and dance with each other which can give that "glue" effect" even means, but I imagine it's easy enough to manage in the synth, probably with your retrigger modes.

Of course, I am not saying you should never use EQ or compression, I was responding to someone who was suggesting you need to use it on every channel. There will always be times when it's the only way to fix a problem but it should be the last thing you think to do, not your first response.
This is what works for you and what you consider a good mix.

A compressor is more than just a dynamic smasher. It can be used to re-introduce movement and dynamics. You can set a compressor to make the attack and release of a synth move with each other rhythmically. You could technically do this with automation since compression could be technically be done with automation. Think about the RNB genre where the synths spit out lush chords that move with each other. Adding compression can add so much movement and rhythm. You can really make the synths dance. Ive been mixing professionally for the past couple of years, a lot can be done creatively in the post process that couldn't be programmed in a synth.

Im a huge believer in getting the most out of a synth patch but depending on what you're aiming for, sometimes a funky eq curve is what brings the synth to life. There are no rules.

Not trying to convice you that your method of mixing and sound design is bad... Just coming from another perspective.

GRRRRRRR!

Post Mon May 17, 2021 12:28 am

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Which kind f R&B? Can you give us a link to the kind of "movement" you mean?

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon May 17, 2021 1:27 am

Hi guys, OP here. I see you are quite knowledgable when it comes to EQ-ing and compression and stuff. Any tips for me, listening to this great classic I attempted to remake?

KVRian

Post Mon May 17, 2021 1:41 pm

BONES wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:28 am
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Which kind f R&B? Can you give us a link to the kind of "movement" you mean?
Any modern R&B, Khalid or Sabrina Claudio for example.
LocalTrack19 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:27 am
Hi guys, OP here. I see you are quite knowledgable when it comes to EQ-ing and compression and stuff. Any tips for me, listening to this great classic I attempted to remake?
Slap a low pass filter on the original, listen to the low frequencies and try to replicate it. Do the same for the highs and mids. You can get pretty close to the reference using this technique.

Return to “Music Cafe”