Grip vs Padshop 2?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRer
2 posts since 12 May, 2021

Post Wed May 12, 2021 9:29 am

Which granular synth is going to give me more control and allow me to make more sounds?

KVRAF
1840 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Wed May 12, 2021 9:35 am

We're not sure, you're quite new here. We don't know you, your needs and your workflow..
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

KVRer

Topic Starter

2 posts since 12 May, 2021

Post Wed May 12, 2021 9:52 am

I just would like a second opinion. I make IDM music and I'm wondering which one can get a good balance between glitchy noises and normal sounding noises.

KVRian
917 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Wed May 12, 2021 3:10 pm

Grip requires Reaktor. If you already have it, then you're golden. Padshop sounds great, but is Steinberg. You're feelings on this matter are you're own.

Omnisphere has a terrific grain oscillator. If you already have it, you should check it out.

You might also enjoy The Mangle, which is now £20 (~US$30). It's very hands on with great controls, but I'm not sure how long it's been since it was updated. However, it sounds clean and modern compared to the other choices out there.

Of all these, I think Padshop and Omni sound best, but if you want glitchy and paddy, then The Mangle is the best choice.

Anyway, demo what you can and watch and listen to what you can't. Good luck!

KVRAF
6306 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Wed May 12, 2021 4:06 pm

I'd definitely stay away from Mangle.
(Do a search and read the threads for yourself.)
And while Omnisphere's granular engine did improve, it still doesn't compare to others on it's own.

I believe Pad Shop 2 has a soft license that doesn't require the dongle now?
And you can find an unregistered license in the KVR market place for very cheap. And since it does granular and spectral, it's capabilities are a far better value (and IMO, better granular) to what Omni is at 40 times higher the price.

KVRAF
19074 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Wed May 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Pigments is pretty good for granular...

KVRAF
1757 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Wed May 12, 2021 5:29 pm

Grip and New Sonic Arts Granite are both fantastic. Mangle is really good but I wouldn't buy it today cause of it's lack of updates and support. Padshop is also amazing,

Overall, I prefer working with Granite the most.

(Form and Skanner XT are also worth a look if you are considering Reaktor insturments. Also, Reaktortips Vectorspace is really great and fun and "musical" https://reaktortips.com/2015/05/vectorspace.html
I guess these last 3 are more like wave scanners, not really granular though.)

KVRAF
6306 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Wed May 12, 2021 7:04 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:34 pm
Pigments is pretty good for granular...
+1

KVRist
201 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Portland, OR

Post Wed May 12, 2021 9:07 pm

If you are looking purely for granular, it is hard to beat Padshop 2. A lot of.symths add it in as a nice bonus but Padshop is the real deal with more precise controls than any other granular synth engine I have seen to date.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

KVRAF
19074 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu May 13, 2021 10:57 am

BassMasterK wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:07 pm
Padshop is the real deal with more precise controls than any other granular synth engine I have seen to date.
Which precise controls does it have that others do not?

KVRist
171 posts since 23 Oct, 2005 from Australia

Post Fri May 14, 2021 4:42 am

While I have a copy of Padshop, I never seem to reach for it anymore. Synths like Pigments and Rapid are doing granular, but with other types of synthesis too and it's really nice to layer them.

KVRAF
1763 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Fri May 14, 2021 5:26 am

pdxindy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:57 am
BassMasterK wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:07 pm
Padshop is the real deal with more precise controls than any other granular synth engine I have seen to date.
Which precise controls does it have that others do not?
indeed good question, i like Padshop 2, i have it (as part of..). but also have other granulars.
it is has quite some controls, but other granulars.. o well... what works for you.

but there are other granulars that have a lot, a lot of control. (yes mentioning crusher-x, crushes all of course...)
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

KVRAF
2523 posts since 31 Dec, 2004 from People's Republic of Minnesota

Post Fri May 14, 2021 5:47 am

Granite is pretty great. The big selling point with new sonic arts is they’re on top of their dev game. They actually listen to their users and put out very stable releases.

KVRian
1155 posts since 31 Aug, 2007 from wales

Post Fri May 14, 2021 10:05 pm

i had a refund on padshop2 because it wouldn't work properly on my system...
steinberg support and i spent @3 months fannying about trying to fix it
in the process i reconfigured my windows/graphic install several times
i had bought the upgrade from v1 which does work fine
anyways - it is very powerful and sounds good if it works on your system - the filters are nothing great though

i own the mangle but can no longer download/authorise it

there's loads of stuff in reaktor that's lovely - grip being just one of them

KVRist
398 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Sat May 15, 2021 12:33 am

How does the Reason one, Grain, compare to these others? Usually I just use Pigments or Grain but I haven't experimented much at all with granular synthesis. I'm not even sure I understand the point of it.

Return to “Instruments”