Cherry Audio Releases PS-20 Polyphonic Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I agree with the gui/font, very blurry and hard to read. The Focus mode helps a bit to make this synth more usable. Sound is great.

Vortifex wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:09 am Sorry man but this GUI is pretty rough. Over 70 dials, nearly 60 patch points and nearly 30 switches all crammed into one page, and on my 27" 1080p screen with the GUI as big as I can get it the fonts are indistinct and barely readable. The focus button helps with the patch points but having to scroll around an interface feels clunky and annoying. It's way too visually cluttered for me and I would not enjoy staring at it for hours at all.
Kind of like an MS-20.

Looking at it right now on my screen, I think the GUI could be easily improved by providing visual focus so that your eye doesn't have such a large area of 'sameness' to traverse when looking for a particular section. I really think that's the problem that some people are having. Honestly, I'm having that problem as well. :?

I know they want to be true to the original design, but perhaps that is not the best way forward, especially given the additional features.

The first thing to do is to identify the separate 'components' and then perhaps make the background a different shade of the main color. So on the black version, these sections could be different percentages of black (e.g. different grays). On green they would be different percentages of green, etc.

Without going too crazy and going into Christmas tree territory, if at least some of the sections were different, that already would make a big difference imo. The sequencer is obviously one unit, the effects section is obviously another, the voice assignment section is another.

The synth specific area at the top also probably does not need to be perfectly black. Or at least there should be a clearer separation between that area and the rest of the synth.

I think it's a question of balancing things while not making the product feel like a toy.
Last edited by Sequent on Wed May 19, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Should you buy it? I try to help you :wink: : https://youtu.be/Kh7msVPPbJM

Personaly I won't. I already have the Korg version that I never use because I'm not fan of the semi-modular interface, neither of the sound really. But the step seq is a cool add-on!

I also have no use for the PS-20, neither the sound nor the plugin have convinced me. But the price is unbeatable without question!

Never been into Korg anything, but bought this, and LOVE IT. Seems screechy like my friend's MS-20. GUI looks fantastic to me, zero blurry on 4k monitor. And the "FOCUS" zooms right in if needed.

Feels/sounds like a different synth than their others - probably true to the original, and with POLY, works for me!

I guess if you don't have the Korg legacy version this would probably be a no brainer at its current price. The Korg plugin is $99 at the moment, and when on sale I think it's usually $49.

The text that Cherry Audio used is a little small though.

It sounds pretty good but falls apart when doing feedback routings ( as most vst's do )
When I first noticed the added sync feature on the ps-20 ... ..I wonder if they did improve it ..noppes
Damn cherry , you really need to fix the sync wave aliasing ..
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

hahahah I have no idea what you are taking about. MY vst plays chords, notes, music, songs... not feedback routing sync wave aliasing. But, to each there own. :)

Instant buy :love:
U N I S O N : shoegaze/electronic wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

I can't seem to wrap my head around the filter resonance behavior.
The resonant bump basically disappears past a certain point.
It can disappear sooner or later in the 2k-10k range, depending on the DRIVE and PEAK values (higher values will produce a stronger peak which will fade out later in the range, compared to a weaker one), but in any case it sounds like it fades out too soon.

Here is an example of a quite strong resonant peak, completely fading-out at around 7k-8k.

For anyone who is wondering... it just didn't start with the analyzer. I was simply trying to compare the Cherry and Korg plugins and immediately found out I couldn't get nearly close that very basic sound at 01:34 with the PS-20... which eventually led me to check out the spectrum analyzer and see what was going on.
https://youtu.be/Lp448w0LETo?t=94

Boing Poum Tchak! wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:49 pm Should you buy it? I try to help you
I frankly don't need videos to decide such things...

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wwjd wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:51 am hahahah I have no idea what you are taking about. MY vst plays chords, notes, music, songs... not feedback routing sync wave aliasing. But, to each there own. :)
Then you are really missing out on what the korg ms20 really did well ,routing the output back into total in for monstruous sounds , same goes for the minimoog
Why is it that most people think feedback is always associated with guitar heroes :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”