Thermo - great new sound source from Sonic-lab

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fairlyclose wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:57 am
anttimaatteri wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:49 am
Erisian wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:51 am
Vortifex wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:35 am
each oscillator engine checks its environment conditions and takes decisions, “self regulates”, in reaction to these changes applied by the stochastic modulators or by the user through some perturbations called the injections into the system...

The enjeux between regulations and perturbations is exactly the uniqueness of Thermo taking you to unheard sonic territories....

The entrophy of the Thermo engine is something perceive at all times [sic]. Thermo is the perfect synthesizer at the waveform level ( not arranging discrete events ) which finally does not express only static / interference waveforms but also a mass movement of a complex sonic structure within certain controllable margins...
What the hell is this blurb man, lol.
Often referred to as "word salad" there are AI programs dedicated to specific languages, such as "New Age speak" for example, that can invent pseudo-intellectual stews like this one. Here is an example:
http://wisdomofchopra.com/ :wink:
hahaha great link! fits perfectly with the sloganizer website :D
Deepak Chopra: "Existence results from subjective possibilities"
Sloganizer: «Things go better with Existence.»
Seems pretty straightforward to me and i would think to anyone with a background in dynamics and composition. Making fun of Sinan's description, seems a little reactive and dumb to me. He can scarcely be held responsible for your ignorance, nor even can you.
I totally agree.

Erisian wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:10 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:06 pm
Erisian wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:03 pm Is he not trying to sell to mr and mrs Joe Average musician?
No, I dont think you are his market at all.
Then he probably doesn't have a market other than you. BTW, a sense of humour sometimes helps on KVR. Lighten up.
Mock a small developers work and language → “lighten up”.

No.

Does sonicLAB ever do sales?

collider wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:14 pm Does sonicLAB ever do sales?
He did a Black Friday last year.

Great! Thank you.

Way too much for me, given its output.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Interesting. The developer designs a kind of chaos strategy into a synth product that primarily produces somewhat interesting inharmonic mechanized tones. Clearly aimed at those who deal with soundtracks for a living.

What I find amusing is rather than write about how this product could best serve the sound design market in an appealing and unambiguous manner, the developer chooses to go with incomprehensible techno-babble. The phrase “If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit” comes to mind. Clearly, marketing is not his strong point.
On a number of Macs

I'm fascinated by "non-musical" sounds/instruments just as much as "musical" ones.
Both this new one and Fundamental sound extremely intriguing to me... actually the entire sonicLAB catalogue does.

I judge GUIs almost exclusively from a functional standpoint, and I think the older design (with a basically flat color background) was much better than this one, which reminds me of people putting pictures with lots of details as desktop backgrounds, then wonder why they have troubles finding the desktop icons.
I don't know if it's possible to remove the background image from the settings, though.

I'm still on the fence after reading some customer service horror stories and getting a little weirded out by the 4-days (iLok) trial policy.

But as far as the plugins go, this is one of the most interesting developers around.

Niowiad wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:32 am I'm fascinated by "non-musical" sounds/instruments just as much as "musical" ones.
Both this new one and Fundamental sound extremely intriguing to me... actually the entire sonicLAB catalogue does.

I judge GUIs almost exclusively from a functional standpoint, and I think the older design (with a basically flat color background) was much better than this one, which reminds me of people putting pictures with lots of details as desktop backgrounds, then wonder why they have troubles finding the desktop icons.
I don't know if it's possible to remove the background image from the settings, though.

I'm still on the fence after reading some customer service horror stories and getting a little weirded out by the 4-days (iLok) trial policy.

But as far as the plugins go, this is one of the most interesting developers around.
I dont remember having such a short trial period. The dev has his own post-Xenakis thing going and he explores that with a lot of depth. It is a serious research and development program in composition. I have found him easy enough to communicate with and quite helpful but I would not be surprised if he doesnt suffer the sorts of foolishness seen in this thread with good grace. Why should he?
I like Fundamental a lot, i have the rest as well and think it will take me many years to explore the possibilities..
Last edited by fairlyclose on Sun May 16, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting, generally I prefer actual weirdness to simulated weirdness, so not overly attractive here.

pekbro wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:42 am Interesting, generally I prefer actual weirdness to simulated weirdness, so not overly attractive here.
I dont get what is weird about what he does, seems more like a serious programme of research and development to me within a particular thread of compositional practice that is well over 50 years old

fairlyclose wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:55 am
pekbro wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:42 am Interesting, generally I prefer actual weirdness to simulated weirdness, so not overly attractive here.
I dont get what is weird about what he does, seems more like a serious programme of research and development to me within a particular thread of compositional practice that is well over 50 years old
oh c'mon, you sound like you took that way too seriously...

I wasn't aware of his compositional work and that he actually was the one behind the music/sounds in his plugins' presentations.

Very, very, interesting stuff :borg:

seems that it requires AVX CPU capable ! after having disassembled with visual studio, i have seen some AVX opcodes calls

It might be autodetecting avx and only using it if available.

Return to “Instruments”