Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elektro Synth 1.5 Spire Presets Spire

e-crooner wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:00 pm - I noticed that when Boost is off, there is little bass and the synth sounds a bit flat, which might benefit mixing, though. It's almost as if there were a subtle HP filter along the signal path.
I think boost is just adding gain. Warm is adding bass and a bit of saturation (or... rather... saturation which adds bass).

Unfortunately, the manual is not very helpful once again. :)

What does the yellow light mean on the osc mixer knobs? 8)

e-crooner wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:41 pm What does the yellow light mean on the osc mixer knobs? 8)
Now that IS written in the manual. ;)

chk071 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:50 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:41 pm What does the yellow light mean on the osc mixer knobs? 8)
Now that IS written in the manual. ;)
Sorry, I don't read manuals 8)

Thanks for bringing it back. I don't even know what happened that got it locked. Hope it can be all about Spire now.

I noticed that the patch display at the top is too short for many a patch name, I guess 6-8 characters more should be enough.

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:28 pm
kylie wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:29 pm I just loaded 1.5.8 into cantabile, just for curiosity, and for me the "Init Button" does work (does as well in savihost), and finally it did even in Studio One 4.6.2 (Windows 8.1)
Just to make sure: Are you trying the following? Load up an instance of Spire; tweak the start (init) sound a bit; press the init button to initialize the start sound again.
I get what you mean. Yes, it does not initialize. The knob changes something, though. If you're editing another OSC than the first, pressing INIT gets you back to OSC1 settings. The sound doesn't change, indeed.

I just picked up this synth again and forgot how great it sounds; can't believe I got rid of it before!
Always Read the Manual!

I can get it for £50 as an Re (as I have Rewards to use) but it doesn't seem to have had a lot of support in that format, not a lot of love for it on the Reason forum....any plans to update with 12 and the new Hi Res graphics?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:31 am any plans to update with 12 and the new Hi Res graphics?
Technically speaking, the RE already has the Hi Res graphics. But they won‘t upgrade the underlying SDK which means that you have to live with its clumsy UI. And I don‘t expect any future updates on the RE side. I have both - RE and VST. As a preset player the RE is on par with the VST, but I would prefer VST all the time for editing patches.

ALL REs are already High-Res, but it hasn't been enabled in Reason DAW, but it will now starting with v12.

Work-flow is slightly different in the RE: The Step mod and Arp is split between two windows to jump between. A mild annoyance, but MUCH less so now that I can look at in 140% or 200% magnification. The mod matrix shows one mod/slot at the time, and you have to step through to the next slot. So, not as fluent as having them all visible on one page.

CPU wise: It seems the RE takes up a load as if it is set to a fixed buffer of 64. It doesn't change CPU load if you got to a buffer of say 512. A heavy patch is 10-15% on my Ryzen 9.
The VST sucks up the same CPU at a buffer of 64, but uses around half at 512.
It seems ReSpire inside RRP and in Cubase is slightly more than the VST. (no exact science, just looking at my CPU meter)

The RE gives you CV inputs and Combinator modulation. No CV type modulation on the VST obviously.
You obviously know you have to pay more for the VST.

I have not encountered bugs in ReSpire, but I heard there were bugs in the past, so I'm assuming they are fixed, but I may be incorrect here, though I have no issues, not ever...

I believe Reveal could use the newest RE SDK and design panels like on the VST and fix the UI work-flow issues, but I'm assuming it is a lot of re-coding, and perhaps not a good return on investment. But it should be possible.

PieBerger wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:15 am I just picked up this synth again and forgot how great it sounds; can't believe I got rid of it before!
I used to use it a lot and put it down for awhile. I have been fascinated with the Falcon, Halion 6, Avenger, Rapid, MSoundFactory camp and have yet to pick one, but decided to revisit Spire again for some reason. It is really amazing and the pads are beauty, not to mention the reverb power. I really would be happy if Reveal Sound would make Spire 2 (who really isn't (ok some aren't)) or another plugin- effects mod with the reverb and other filters or something.

Considering that Spire doesn't use samples, plucks hard, and has interesting filters makes it a masterpiece to me while being an older synth.

twal wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:23 pm I really would be happy if Reveal Sound would make Spire 2 (who really isn't (ok some aren't)) or another plugin- effects mod with the reverb and other filters or something.
Don't take this as official in any way, but, I think they're on it for a while now.

Spire is an older synth? Are you serious? How fast things become old nowadays... To me it's still new and hot, it's only six years old. Even younger than many other famous software and hardware synths

Version 1 was released in 2013. IIRC, some former versions were already available earlier, for people who pre-ordered it.

But, yeah, I'd agree that it's not really old. But then, if you buy a new synth every year, it could be considered old, I guess. ;)

Return to “Instruments”