Post Sun May 16, 2021 5:37 pm

lxegs wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:35 pm
Maybe . Crashes at launch After ilok verifiying on my non avx CPU
Is that a really old cpu?

KVRAF
3884 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Sun May 16, 2021 8:19 pm

If you have Reaktor, there is no reason to get this. There litteraly are hundreds of weird noise making machines and experimental noise generators in the user library that can sound just like this.

KVRist
35 posts since 14 Oct, 2020 from London

Post Mon May 17, 2021 12:52 am

If you like weirdness check this stuff https://www.kvraudio.com/developer/soundemote
I'm having a lot of fun!

KVRist
304 posts since 3 Feb, 2017

Post Mon May 17, 2021 1:00 am

Neon Breath wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:19 pm
If you have Reaktor, there is no reason to get this. There litteraly are hundreds of weird noise making machines and experimental noise generators in the user library that can sound just like this.
It sounds pretty good, but I agree it's very "Reaktorish"
Do you know any specific ones that can do what this can do ?
I often miss quantizing and midi tracking with these kind of ensembles, but this one has it.

KVRian
501 posts since 17 Nov, 2015 from Yuma

Post Mon May 17, 2021 3:50 am

fairlyclose wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:57 am
anttimaatteri wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:49 am
Erisian wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:51 am
Vortifex wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:35 am
each oscillator engine checks its environment conditions and takes decisions, “self regulates”, in reaction to these changes applied by the stochastic modulators or by the user through some perturbations called the injections into the system...

The enjeux between regulations and perturbations is exactly the uniqueness of Thermo taking you to unheard sonic territories....

The entrophy of the Thermo engine is something perceive at all times [sic]. Thermo is the perfect synthesizer at the waveform level ( not arranging discrete events ) which finally does not express only static / interference waveforms but also a mass movement of a complex sonic structure within certain controllable margins...
What the hell is this blurb man, lol.
Often referred to as "word salad" there are AI programs dedicated to specific languages, such as "New Age speak" for example, that can invent pseudo-intellectual stews like this one. Here is an example:
http://wisdomofchopra.com/ :wink:
hahaha great link! fits perfectly with the sloganizer website :D
Deepak Chopra: "Existence results from subjective possibilities"
Sloganizer: «Things go better with Existence.»
Seems pretty straightforward to me and i would think to anyone with a background in dynamics and composition. Making fun of Sinan's description, seems a little reactive and dumb to me. He can scarcely be held responsible for your ignorance, nor even can you.
my post has nothing to do with your misinterpretation about it...
if you read, and think, like you shuould you would see taht its solely a reaction to the link...geez take a shit maan

KVRAF
2188 posts since 23 May, 2005 from North Cornwall

Post Mon May 17, 2021 10:18 am

I bought it without demoing it and not in the slightest bit disappointed by it. It has that quality you usually have to go to modulars for - you don't control it as such, you have a bidirectional interaction with it and can only really make suggestions to it. Hours can disappear.

There are very few developers doing as interesting work as Sinan. Jörg Stelkens (Crusher-X) and Giorgio Sancristoforo (Gleetchlab et al) are others. Fundamental was my best VST purchase last year and this is already the most engrossing VST I've picked up so far this year.

KVRist
30 posts since 5 Dec, 2018

Post Tue May 18, 2021 11:47 am

lnikj wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:18 am
It has that quality you usually have to go to modulars for - you don't control it as such, you have a bidirectional interaction with it and can only really make suggestions to it. Hours can disappear.
After spending the last 4 days playing with the demo, I have to agree. It's an unusually inspiring soft synth for those looking for the kind of two-way, listening + influencing experience normally reserved for modular and chaotic hardware electronic instruments — Hordijk, Ciat-Lonbarde, Meng Qi, Soma synths, etc. It gets even more fun when I'm controlling things like the influence section via midi.

My one caveat would be: to me, Thermo currently feels more like a beta than like a product with the level of polishing I normally expect from a plugin in this price range. There seem to be stability kinks that will hopefully get better over time. But just as importantly, things like the MPE implementation, the envelope section, and odd things like the lack of a GUI button for BPM sync (currently only controllable with the 'b' key on a keyboard) especially feel like they have a lot of room for improvement from taking into account user feedback.

Still, I like the instrument enough that I will buy it — like I did with Fundamental and M31. But I strongly recommend trying the demo before buying to people considering it.

KVRist
144 posts since 13 Jul, 2005 from Longview, WA

Post Sun May 23, 2021 7:20 am

After spending the last 4 days playing with the demo, I have to agree. It's an unusually inspiring soft synth for those looking for the kind of two-way, listening + influencing experience normally reserved for modular and chaotic hardware electronic instruments — Hordijk, Ciat-Lonbarde, Meng Qi, Soma synths, etc. It gets even more fun when I'm controlling things like the influence section via midi.

[/quote]

I posted my thoughts earlier on this thread, but it’s seems to have been lost. No worries as your post gives my thought a better voice. :).

If you are into things like this (big if), I find that the process is hypnotizing. On the surface, sure, it makes bloops and bleeps and industrio-mechanical clanks but the interaction is wild and makes end result satisfying.

KVRian
866 posts since 30 Jul, 2004

Post Sun May 23, 2021 10:48 am

Vortifex wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:35 am
each oscillator engine checks its environment conditions and takes decisions, “self regulates”, in reaction to these changes applied by the stochastic modulators or by the user through some perturbations called the injections into the system...

The enjeux between regulations and perturbations is exactly the uniqueness of Thermo taking you to unheard sonic territories....

The entrophy of the Thermo engine is something perceive at all times [sic]. Thermo is the perfect synthesizer at the waveform level ( not arranging discrete events ) which finally does not express only static / interference waveforms but also a mass movement of a complex sonic structure within certain controllable margins...
What the hell is this blurb man, lol.
It's a poorly executed attempt at marketing. That doesn't necessarily mean that the product is bad. I have to admit that when I first looked at the web page, I didn't like the pseudo-scientific language and the GUI, but what it actually looks like to me is someone who is doing what might otherwise be academic computer music research who came up this idea of thermodynamic evolution of timbre and managed to put together a functional implementation, superimposed on pretty standard soft-synth structures. I speculate that the clumsiness of the text comes from it being translated from French. "Enjeux" is a French word (meaning that-which-is-in-play or that-which-is-at-stake) that may have made its way into the OED, but I've never seen it used by a native English speaker. I'm not likely to buy the plug myself, but I respect people looking outside the normal universe of timbre.

KVRAF
5690 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sun May 23, 2021 10:45 pm

Sinans designs are routed in the stochastic ideas of Xenakis, which is rare enough. So far his efforts to prepare this for a bigger audience is respectable. We definitely need more of those creative minds. You don’t need to like it, but even just following it does inspire me...

Return to “Instruments”