Virtual MIDI Keyboard as VST?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a (hopefully free) virtual midi keyboard that I can run as a VST in Soundigy Midilab, Plogue Bidule and other plugin-chainer type of hosts. The keyboard needs to respond to my computer keyboard, though. Does anyone know of such a device that they could recommend?

Thanks!

midiKeyboard by Insert Piz Here
https://plugins4free.com/plugin/1428/

QuicKeys by Tobybear
https://plugins4free.com/plugin/1429/

But i don't know will be it work in this hosts

IIRC Unify (another plugin host) has one built-in, but the other two mentioned earlier should hopefully work out ok for you

Reaper has one built in.

Dirk Diggler wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:17 pm Reaper has one built in.
Does it work as a vst with Soundigy Midilab, Plogue Bidule and other plugin-chainer type of hosts?

Thanks, everyone! Piz seems to fit the bill here :).

why'd'hell do ya want dat?

Renoise only records midi from VSTs when sent from another program using a virtual midi cable (such as Loopmidi). I would like to trigger chords using Scaler 2 and record the midi into Renoise. I would further like to trigger those chords using the computer keyboard when I am on the road for work, but Renoise automatically takes control over the computer keyboard when it is running. Thus, I needed a VST virtual midi keyboard to run separately in a plugin chainer program that I could trigger with the computer keyboard.

Xotopad is a standalone application that requires LoopMidi or the like to connect midi.
https://feelyoursound.com/xotopad/

Sorry I don't have,
Soundigy Midilab, Plogue Bidule and other plugin-chainer type of hosts.

Give the Reaper demo a try, it's the only way to know if it will work for you.
Good luck,
Dirk

Very usefull info for virtual controllers here

Dirk Diggler wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:52 pm Sorry I don't have,
Soundigy Midilab, Plogue Bidule and other plugin-chainer type of hosts.

Give the Reaper demo a try, it's the only way to know if it will work for you.
Good luck,
Dirk
Thanks. I have Reaper, and like it a lot. However, I needed the virtual midi controller in question to operate Renoise - completely different issue/DAW.

Sorry I didn't know those were DAW's.
I know it sounds crazy but why not use a real physical controller?

Two reasons. First, part of the charm of Renoise and the history of trackers in general is that note and other information is added using a computer keyboard. While I originally thought this would be clunky, the more I learn about and use Renoise, the more I like it; it definitely provides a different perspective and experience for making music. Second, I travel a fair amount for work, and while I have a couple of small travel MIDI controllers (Korg nanoKey, Akai LPK25, Launchpad Mini), it is easier to just not bring them with me. Airport security sometimes wants to do a search when they see these (especially the Launchpad), and it is just easier to make music without them if I can.

Return to “Instruments”