Seeking an additive synth

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
73 posts since 31 Oct, 2015

Post Sat May 01, 2021 11:21 pm

Additive synthesis is the idea of adding partials (sinewave) to make a « complex » waveform and, in order to not have a static dull sound, some ways to make it evolve.
So there are 2 things to do : build a « primary wave » and transform it with time.
All of the « additive synths » deal with those 2 things but differently. But I make a difference between those where the « transform part » is not additive (operator, RMI) but instead « global » (as in a « subtractive » synth), whereas if the transform part applies on the partials themselves it’s another story (k5000, pigments, parsec)

There is the special case where a synth, for the « build » part can use a sample to make the serie of partials for the « primary wave ». Only a few of the « additive synths » available allow for that.

KVRist
246 posts since 4 Dec, 2004 from The Netherlands

Post Sun May 02, 2021 1:14 am

CinningBao wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:10 pm

Nothing new since 2011, just 64-bit updates and lots of iOS conversions.
Yeah, it's a shame.. I like the sound of their synth engines. I recently upgraded to Cube2, a synth I haven't used in 12 years (?) and I'm glad I did because I'd forgotten how much I love the weird bass things I can get out of it. I still want Matrix but it's a bit too dear for me right now.
You're probably on Windows, but a word of warning for Mac users: Virsyn have stopped supporting MacOs several versions ago and after doing a Big Sur clean install, I haven't been able to install my Virsyn vst's anymore. I loved Matrix.

O.k., back on topic...

KVRAF
1980 posts since 15 Apr, 2004 from Capital City, UK

Post Sun May 02, 2021 1:25 am

RichN wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:14 am
CinningBao wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:10 pm

Nothing new since 2011, just 64-bit updates and lots of iOS conversions.
Yeah, it's a shame.. I like the sound of their synth engines. I recently upgraded to Cube2, a synth I haven't used in 12 years (?) and I'm glad I did because I'd forgotten how much I love the weird bass things I can get out of it. I still want Matrix but it's a bit too dear for me right now.
You're probably on Windows, but a word of warning for Mac users: Virsyn have stopped supporting MacOs several versions ago and after doing a Big Sur clean install, I haven't been able to install my Virsyn vst's anymore. I loved Matrix.

O.k., back on topic...
Nope, Mojave. They didn't warn me of any potential failure of Cube2 to work on this or later OSs, but that isn't something a company wants to talk about in the middle of a sale. I won't upgrade my OS unless absolutely have to for Logic; 10.5.1 fine right now for me, and sticking on Mojave before they completely removed anything-but-64bit-applications seems to have worked in my favour for the moment. I reeeaaally want Matrix.

KVRist
125 posts since 28 May, 2004

Post Sun May 02, 2021 8:40 am

Regarding Virsy, Support told me they were working on plugins/executable compatible with last macosx, but they didn't have ETA.

KVRist
113 posts since 25 Apr, 2009

Post Sun May 02, 2021 1:13 pm

cron wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:48 pm
It's a shame, but Image Line seem to have discontinued the VST version of Harmor. It's the king of additive synths by a long shot IMO.
You can still but it on pluginboutique, though. Doubt they'd offer FL-only plugins without explicitly mentioning it.

KVRAF
2326 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Mon May 03, 2021 4:02 am

halcyon68 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:13 pm
cron wrote:
It's a shame, but Image Line seem to have discontinued the VST version of Harmor. It's the king of additive synths by a long shot IMO.
You can still but it on pluginboutique, though. Doubt they'd offer FL-only plugins without explicitly mentioning it.
Image Line announced that they won't be providing support for the VST versions anymore.

https://www.image-line.com/vst-downloads/

"All Image Line VST plugin program registrations are discontinued.
Customers who bought a VST plugin registration in the past, can still use their VST plugin software and registration from 'my account' > 'my licenses'."

KVRist
313 posts since 13 Dec, 2004 from USA

Post Thu May 06, 2021 12:39 am

There's also Akoustic:

https://sampleson.com/akoustic-spectral ... sizer.html

Smaller amount of total partials than some additive synths, but as someone who's not yet an additive expert, I find it easier to tweak and get good results, as the partial editing is quite intuitive. It also has a lot of spectral "models" of acoustic instruments, which IMO don't sound super close to the real thing, but I find they can be tweaked relatively easily into interesting "never-heard" instrument variations...

Obviously things like MSoundFactory and Syne are on the other, super-flexible end of the spectrum, and I'm still learning all of their particulars, but I tend to reach for Akoustic when I want to get certain additive-type sounds quickly.

KVRer
5 posts since 20 May, 2014

Post Thu May 13, 2021 7:11 am

Shabdahbriah wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:56 pm
I totally concur with all of ^^^ that ^^^

... here's a little additive info that may help you, which also happens to show several of the above candidates.

https://youtu.be/SCujIf5eJ2w
Wow this is awesome! Thanks for posting!

KVRAF
5076 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Thu May 13, 2021 9:44 am

I think to be released tomorrow or so.
Virsyn Cube Synth Pro....But only for iOS and M1 Mac. Additive synthesis meets MPE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV__5wwn2LQ

KVRer
3 posts since 19 Dec, 2019

Post Mon May 17, 2021 6:45 pm

cron wrote:
That's really disappointing. I don't like FL Studio. But I love Harmor! What you can do with images to control the partials is incredible. I guess I can still use my copy. But no hope of ever seeing it improved, I'm sure.

KVRist
165 posts since 9 Oct, 2020

Post Tue May 18, 2021 12:12 pm

Nobody's mentioned Parsec yet.

I use Harmor, I think Pigments' additive implementation is awesome. Loom can also get a few things going that Harmor can't; I think Harmor is basically king of everything that isn't modulating groups of partials and modulating how you're modulating them, which can get you cool results (something that Pigments' Cluster mode can do). You can modulate partials, but it's tedious and could be implemented better. Most of Harmor's strengths come from it custom filters which there are many, its resynthesis section (which is great), LFOs + Envelopes being per-parameter, that they can both be LFOs or Envelopes, and generally the control over what you can do to partials in more broad strokes with some granularity in how some of the parameters are applied to the spectral bins, masking certain frequencies from being affected or increasing the intensity of effects at certain areas, or applying whatever amounts to each unison voice.

I think you can buy the VST version if you want it from 3rd-party retailers that are still selling the copies they have left, like plugindiscounts and whatnot. Also I missed 4 pages apparently so Parsec might have been mentioned :D

Return to “Instruments”