Cherry Audio Releases PS-20 Polyphonic Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:34 pm Meandorer jumps to 100% without playing a note and crackles. Moody Intervals will jump to 100% on playing a single note... There are more, the difference might be i5 vs Xenon...
There must be something strange going on with that Xenon configuration.
Meanderer idle does only 14% here. 25% when played. Moody Intervals 19%/ 38%.

I can't log into the forum on Cherry's web site, but reported this also on the KVR Cherry Forum...

I think the next company that puts out the Andromeda will surely get lots of attention......

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:34 pm Meandorer jumps to 100% without playing a note and crackles. Moody Intervals will jump to 100% on playing a single note... There are more, the difference might be i5 vs Xenon...
Hm Meandorer idles at 40% here and with playing a note somewhat more, but i have an aging six year old i7 processor here on Win10(44.1kHz 256 samples buffersize).

Well I did demo this and was very excited because I really like the format Cherry Audio did with this. The presets seem fun and lively. I also really enjoyed the sequencer. I would have definitely bought this if not for the GUI. I am on a 2013 dell laptop and can't really see any text. Now my eyes are failing a bit but really guys If I can't read it without the windows magnifier I won't. Now I thought the focus helped a bit but even then there is text in boxes where I can't even make out the words.
Not criticizing just to do so...more just to place my vote for better GUI. Cherry Audio is really doing a fine job otherwise.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:46 pm I would have definitely bought this if not for the GUI. I am on a 2013 dell laptop and can't really see any text.
use the FOCUS button. zooms right in.

I dont want to sound harsh, but I feel people should start upgrading their monitors if they want to use modern VSTis. Yes worked fine 10 years ago when everyone was programming for HD screens, but things have moved on... 4k, 5k, even 8K dropping soon. Monitors are relatively cheap now compared to other components, and VERY VERY important in computer music.
Last edited by wwjd on Mon May 17, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think KVR storage butchers photos, but I lowered my screen res to 1080 and set the view to 130%. looked fine to me. Not sure of my screen DPI, and I'm old and use READERS at the computer now...
Also tried FOCUS (quick zoom). Can scroll up and down with mouse wheel, and left-right with bottom slider
130.JPG
zoomed.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wwjd wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:49 pm
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:46 pm I would have definitely bought this if not for the GUI. I am on a 2013 dell laptop and can't really see any text.
use the FOCUS button. zooms right in.

I dont want to sound harsh, but I feel people should start upgrading their monitors if they want to use modern VSTis. Yes worked fine 10 years ago when everyone was programming for HD screens, but things have moved on... 4k, 5k, even 8K dropping soon. Monitors are relatively cheap now compared to other components
1080p is still the most used resolution, by far. Right ahead of 1367x768, by the way. I know, shocking, but, that's how it is.

If the synth doesn't display properly on that resolution, there's something wrong with the synth, not with the user.

my above pic is at 1080p and looked fine

Hmmmm. I haven't spent any time on a 4k monitor but I would think it would be worse the higher resolution. And yes focus helps alot as does windows Magnifier. I don't want to detail this thread nor beat up on Cherry Audio. But clearly.....if a one page synth has so many aspects that you can't easily see parameters it takes away from the experience.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

wwjd wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:49 pm I dont want to sound harsh, but I feel people should start upgrading their monitors if they want to use modern VSTis. Yes worked fine 10 years ago when everyone was programming for HD screens, but things have moved on... 4k, 5k, even 8K dropping soon. Monitors are relatively cheap now compared to other components, and VERY VERY important in computer music.
I have over 400 plugins and all of them released in recent times look fine at 1920x1080 HD. The TRacks plugins look absolutely gorgeous when sized up and look so crisp it seems like I could reach out and turn the knobs by hand.

Switching to 4K just so I can join those who complain older plugins are too small just makes no sense to me.

Like I said back on page 1 of this thread:
Teksonik wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:01 pm Trying the demo now and it's a very nice sounding synth. But just as with the Eight Voice the quality of the GUI lets the synth down in my opinion.
The GUI wouldn't stop me from buying the synth but it certainly doesn't encourage me to buy it so I'm on the fence right now. For the price it's impulse buy territory.
I did buy the Eight Voice but haven't spent as much time with it as I'd like due to the Lo-Fi GUI. It's not inefficient just unpleasant for me to use.
Again Cherry Audio's GUIs simply do not live up to the sound quality of their synths in my opinion. If they are designed primarily to work on 4K monitors then I think they're missing out on a huge market share for those who are still on 1080HD or other resolutions.

Someone should do a Poll and see what resolution most people here are using in 2021.

Anyway the white color scheme is more readable than the black but then I find the white too harsh on the eyes for any period of time.

All I can say is if Cherry Audio's GUIs were of the same quality as the TRacks plugins I would own all their synths by now. As it is now I'm thinking of selling the Eight Voice since it's just too unpleasant for me to use. Other than that their synths sound good and are a great bargain. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

everyone's experience is valid.
I find life full of tiny compromises. For curiousity, I loaded this up on my $250 lowend laptop never used for music with a 1366x768 native screen, and could read 98% of it, with my readers at 2 feet. I could NOT read it at 3 feet and beyond - because my readers lose focus past that and without them, I only get blur. I don't see the fuzziness on my sub HD screen, but, like I say, everyone's experience is personal and valid. The UI is fine to me on most any size and pixel density.

(this pic quality is reduced by this forum) 1366 x 768
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will try again
Where is the total input , to control both filters at the same time ?
On the cherry audio it's labbeled mod gen , on the ms 20 it's mod gen + total ext. .
So when something is plugged in 'total in' on the patch panel ' 'it overrides the lfo and the mod gen becomes an attenuator .
On the cherry I can't find the total in on the patch panel , and there is no way to override the lfo
It start right from the beginning of the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOeVZSoUiNA
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

wwjd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:29 pm For curiousity, I loaded this up on my $250 lowend laptop never used for music with a 1366x768 native screen, and could read 98% of it, with my readers at 2 feet.
Same here, I demo'ed it on my old Dell laptop, same res, and it was usable, not the clearest GUI but there's a lot packed in there. Reading glasses at a couple of feet (how a laptop is generally used...:))

GaryG wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:48 pm
wwjd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:29 pm For curiousity, I loaded this up on my $250 lowend laptop never used for music with a 1366x768 native screen, and could read 98% of it, with my readers at 2 feet.
Same here, I demo'ed it on my old Dell laptop, same res, and it was usable, not the clearest GUI but there's a lot packed in there. Reading glasses at a couple of feet (how a laptop is generally used...:))
There is a difference between usable and pleasant to use. :wink:

The PS-20 is usable but not pleasant for me to use so hence doesn't inspire me to purchase it since it will probably end up unused in the same drawer as the Eight Voice which is usable but unpleasant for me to use.

My point is that Cherry Audio makes great sounding synths at a bargain price but their GUIs are simply not up to the same quality and let their synths down. To me they look like something from fifteen years ago....all in my opinion of course. :shrug:

I'm still on the fence about the PS-20. I don't care one bit if it sounds like the hardware that inspired it or not I only care if it sounds good and it does yet that GUI...... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”