Why do I seem to like free synths better ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rob_lee wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:33 pm This is my favourite FREE synth, fantastic for all kinds of sounds.
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-noisemaker
I concur but will add TyrellN6 to that basket. Here is what you need, rest is GAS and pedantry (which I somewhat suffer from myself, but it is under better control than 5 years ago).
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Some basic 6/8 voice virtual analogs wouldn't be remotely enough "what I need", but, YMMV. Apart from that, I always found Tyrell N6 kinda cold. TAL-Noisemaker is more to my liking, but, it has some shortcomings as well, like the slow envelopes. I also think that Patrick did some better filters later, but, the filters in TAL-Noisemaker are pretty good.

I probably could do any sound I could imagine with something like Largo (or Massive X) though. But then, we talk about free synths here, which is why I wrote this earlier:
chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:10 pm
Why do I seem to like free synths better ?
I have no explanation for that. :ud:

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:38 am
I probably could do any sound I could imagine with something like Largo (or Massive X) though. But then, we talk about free synths here, which is why I wrote this earlier:
I have a licence for Massive X, but I prefer to use Synth1. Massive X gives me a headache just to look at. Synth1 is simple. I like simple things.

And why do NI have to give such stupid names to everything ?

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:00 am I like simple things.
I can relate to that. Synth1 doesn't sound nearly as good as Massive X, or other payware synths though. It's limited to 32 voices, which sucks when you use unison as well. It's filters aren't up to par with better payware, it sounds thin compared. The fx' suck. IMO.
dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:00 am And why do NI have to give such stupid names to everything ?
Dunno. I think they have nice naming for their stuff. But then, I couldn't care less if the synth's name is "Pink Elephant from Wonderland", if it sounds decent.

I even use a synth called "Oberhausen". :lol:

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:36 am
Synth1 doesn't sound nearly as good as Massive X, or other payware synths though.
And of course a Gibson guitar sounds better than a Strat.

And give me a Steinway over Bosendorfer any day !

Big Mac versus Burger King etc etc ad infinitum.
Last edited by dellboy on Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

You know... I don't think any violinist would argue about a $50 violin from Amazon sounding worse than a Stradivari. :shrug:

That doesn't mean that cost is an indicator of quality, but, it's not like people like to throw money out of the window for the sake of it. I wasted so much time on inferior stuff (free- and magware)that I only can recommend every beginner who has at least a bit of motivation to start with a good payware synth (considering you demo'd thoroughly to find out what suits you). Won't really break the bank, and it will save you a lot of disappointement.

If you like freeware, then just use it. No need for insecure threads asking for confirmation.

BTW, the (by far) best sounding free synth hasn't even been named yet. Blaukraut Charlatan. Shame it's so limited though. Which, again, is what I only can say about freeware: It either doesn't sound as good, or it's too limited.

dellboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:15 pm Its not that I do not have commercial synths. I have NI Komplete - SampleTank - etc, but I rarely use those, its nearly always free synths, or very cheap, almost free ones.

And the same goes for DAWs. I have a licence for Cubase Pro and Studio One Pro but spend most of the time in an obsolete DAW "Energyxt 2" which is almost free.

I just seem to feel more at home with free and very cheap stuff. Strange - eh ?

Am I the only one ?
Not strange, there is something really rewarding in being able to successfully produce with tools that are considered as "underdogs", I'm like that too. I use a combination of commercial tools but mostly the cheap/old ones, and the rest are freeware. I will never buy Serum for example, not because I can't afford it, but because it satisfies me more to accomolish things with cheaper underrated tools.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:53 am No need for insecure threads asking for confirmation.
Pot kettle black ?

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:08 am
chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:53 am No need for insecure threads asking for confirmation.
Pot kettle black ?
How?

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:21 am
dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:08 am
Pot kettle black ?
How?
HOW !

A great TV program from long ago.

Are you also a fan ?

For me free synths like Synth1, Tyrell, Noisemaker, Obxd, Vital, Hy-Poly, Odin2, Surge... sound as good as commercial one... the effect section is generally poor compared to overpriced commercial synths but who really care when you can use a tons of high end individual effects (some free effects include).

And yes they are easier to use, easy on cpu (most of the time).
You can do the music you want...

The good point of commercial synths is the numerous soundbank you can find (Diva, Zebra are very good examples)... but if you like to tweak synth, that's not a problem to make your own. Synth1 is also well served by the way.

But what really make me like free synths, is probably the fact that frequently it's the work of an independent/freelancer (synth1, odin2, obxd, charlatan..) man compared to a company. He do it for passion and not for money ! 100% respect. That's just fantastic that its little baby can compete with commercial one in several area.

dellboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:15 pm

I just seem to feel more at home with free and very cheap stuff. Strange - eh ?

Are you from Yorkshire?

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:45 am And of course a Gibson guitar sounds better than a Strat.
??????!!!!! :evil:

Most of the time, free synths also come without effects, so it's fun processing them through complex multi-FX units like XY-Transfer or Zebrify, making the whole creative process more track-dependent. I wouldn't say I necessarily like free plugins better, but my paid plugins definitely do not make free plugins obsolete or lacking, they're just different and change the way you create sounds and the overall music-making dynamic.

Their simplicity is both inviting and forces you to use effects more creatively in order to arrive at more sophisticated stuff. Paid plugins are usually more complex and that allows me to embed all sound characteristics in the patch itself without even touching the FX all that much, which makes for a cleaner sound usually. Effects then constitute more like an appendage or a cherry on top. With free plugins, it's a completely different story and the architectural constraints actually force you to use the effects in the more creative context, as a consequence of which you come up with different sounds.

Return to “Instruments”