Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor Class A

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to remember an old proverb, something about a workman and his tool. I mean tools.

Najimad wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:46 pm Of course there can be different opinions and there might be opinions sponsored by PA.
If you like it, use it and like it.
For me plugin is just a gui, oh afaik it has one or even two gain knobs, so it's a gui with gain knobs.
you sound like someone who knows his onions!

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:23 pm
Najimad wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:46 pm Of course there can be different opinions and there might be opinions sponsored by PA.
If you like it, use it and like it.
For me plugin is just a gui, oh afaik it has one or even two gain knobs, so it's a gui with gain knobs.
you sound like someone who knows his onions!
I know PA plugins, because I had a one year subscription. I do not regret, but now I can be without any PA plugin.
I made a list with plugins I do not necessarily need and one with crap.
I better won't tell on what list you would find
Shadow Hills ( I m glad I never bought it, I could resist the hype hehe). But it's just me, someone might even like it...

i didn't buy it either :tu:

and i like onions :shrug:

I did ... but I don't like onions :ud:

I compared the class A to the 'regular' version yesterday. Liked both, but on this particular mix I preferred the cheaper one. It had a sharper sound in the mids while class A had a fuller/fatter bottom and was louder with the same peak levels. In the latter case the mids were less upfront, they kind of slid back in the mix a little while the low end was bragging. More generally I still preferred the class A however, both because of sound and the added bells and whistles (the headroom control is super handy).

Was not a scientific test, but the sonic signature of each was pretty apparent. I like having both in the subscription and might go for the class A when using my yearly voucher.

I also think the green version has its place, especially on drums the green one sounds grittier, which works better on HipHop drums compared to the Red version.
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

I sold this recently after having it for around a year. SSL bus compressor v2 was better to me, which was a bit surprising. A lot faster and easier to use overall, too.

What I also dislike about this plugin is that PA obviously imitates Acustica Audio's marketing trick.

did dirk steal your gf?

vurt wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:57 pmdid dirk steal your gf?
Don't worry, she was just a pretty gui with one or even two gain knobs - pretty useless, really... :lol:

beely wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:23 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:57 pmdid dirk steal your gf?
Don't worry, she was just a pretty gui with one or even two gain knobs - pretty useless, really... :lol:
I want my future ex-wife to be exactly that...
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

This thread is way off the rails and, while entertaining, I'd feel bad for anyone wanting info here and just seeing this low grade shitposting. Heres my best attempt to refocus it.

I've been doing the purge; Ive accumulated too many things I just dont use. For example, the Acustica Ceil bundle just got the chop. The Shadow Hills Class A almost got sold off too. It took a while to get used to the Class A; to feel like I understood enough to not destroy whatever I was using it on. Well, now its destroying a drum buss and I'm getting satisfying results. I'm even feeling comfortable enough to place it in my mastering chain along with the UAD Manley Massive Passive and Pulsar MU. Thats how satisfying it sounds. Results matter.

Its not the best thing I've ever used, but it sounds really good and its an interesting tool that deserves attention. If you can snag it for under $75, its a no-brainer. You can find uses for it and its worth the time to experiment with.

So sorry you feel bad for other people, really so sorry haha
It's like with every plugin, you have to find out whether it works for you or not.
And my or your opinion does not matter at all, it's just my and your point of view, that's all.
You can't expect everyone to support a hype.
Very often you will find pros and cons.
Shadow Hill has no mojo for me at all and I demoed it of course.
I could even add more PA plugins that are similar imo, hyped, but simply useless:
Black Box HG-2MS (gives me nothing)
Vertigo VSM3 (makes everything sound worse)
SSL 9000 j (makes low end boomy and muddy)
Console N (PA are you sure it's ment to be a Neve emu, isn't it rather a sleeping pill?!)
Purple MC77 (it has everything you would not expect from a 1176)
Ssl 4000 g (pa, I would really like to know how you got it approved by SSL!?)
bx_digital V3 (sorry pa, I by far prefer proQ)
Again: it's just my opinion!
Last edited by Najimad on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

:tu: :?:

Return to “Effects”