Actually a bit proud of this one for once...feel free to rob me of that feeling with your comments though

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

folderol wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:48 pm I very much enjoyed this. However I thought the synth lead let you down a bit. It is a rather neutral sound compared to the guitar and vocals.
Thank you! You know what, I have been thinking the same thing about the synth. Do you think the song would lose too much if I just cut that whole part out? Like the half of the pre-verse or whatever it's called with the aforementioned synth part.

Sorry, I just realized I responded to the wrong person haha. I meant cut out the second half of the second intro-synth part.
Last edited by goldendeathmusic on Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

midi_transmission wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:28 am I think the song could benefit from a different mix/mastering
also, I would love to have someone else master this. I'll have to save up some money and see what I can do. Thanks again.

Nicely done - got that 80s 'new wave'/pop sound without sounding like any one band in particular. Good songwriting, well recorded and the mix/mastering sounds fine to me and fits the style - not overcooked (I'm sure people sometimes feel they have to offer some 'advice' for the sake of it.. :hihi: )
Last edited by donkey tugger on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agree

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:17 pm Nicely done - got that 80s 'new wave'/pop sound without sounding like any one band in particular. Good songwriting, well recorded and the mix/mastering sounds fine to me and fits the style - not overcooked (I'm sure people sometimes feel they have to offer some 'advice' for the sake of it.. :hihi: )
Thank you! Yeah, I take all advice with a grain of salt sometimes, but in general it never hurts for me to take a second look - especially when people are giving really specific advice about problem frequencies and stuff like that as my monitoring situation is way less than ideal. It is funny though sometimes - I once had two well known mixers review one of my songs and one said "the intro is way too long, cut it in half at least" and the other said "the intro could use some more time to build up to the song. make it longer". Anyway, thank you again for listening - I truly appreciate it.

I heard it on pretty consumer or quasi-prosumer phones. which means some 'smile' EQ and not terribly accurate high-mids let alone highs. I have 'em to see more of a normal situation than reference phones or the highend precision jobs. I'm sensitive to but not allergic to highs. Nothing hurt me in your mix.

I'd tone back the reverb on the verse vocal big time and try and see how little reverb you can get away with .

popmoney wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:26 am I'd tone back the reverb on the verse vocal big time and try and see how little reverb you can get away with .
Thanks for listening and for the tip! It's kind of a stylistic choice...I like a lot of reverb and echo on stuff. 60's psychedelic (joe meek, pretty things) and motown stuff is a big influence for me, as well as more modern stuff like john maus and melody's echo chamber. I'll never be a pop star for sure, but I definitely have dialed back the vocal fx in my more recent releases over the last couple of years. It's funny though, the one commercially successful album I did have with another project about 10 years or so ago used way more fx on the voice than I do now. Thanks again for listening and all the best to you and your own music.

It's songs like this,that draw me away from the mainstream & commercial radio.Most mainstream millennial music is complete ass.
Your song is so far removed from the mainstream, with it's exquisite retro vibe....top marks!

AlesisVi61 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:49 pm It's songs like this,that draw me away from the mainstream & commercial radio.Most mainstream millennial music is complete ass.
Your song is so far removed from the mainstream, with it's exquisite retro vibe....top marks!
Thank you so much! What a nice thing to say. It's funny though, this song is definitely more pop and relatively mainstream than what I normally do...I'm a failure haha! It has been cool to see bands like Tame Impala with a somewhat retro aesthetic get more exposure of late though. I'm still waiting on that psychedelic post-punk pop revival though... Thanks again and all the best to you.

That's damn good. I listened to it three times. I liked the heavy reverb on the vocals.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:04 am That's damn good. I listened to it three times. I liked the heavy reverb on the vocals.
thank you! if you're interested it's available for free download/pay what you want at the link in my signature, along with every other album/song i've done. Regardless, thank you so much for listening multiple times - your comment made my day!

Enjoyed listening! Although I cannot read a single line at your Bandcamp - well done.

htcnext2 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:04 pm Enjoyed listening! Although I cannot read a single line at your Bandcamp - well done.
Thanks for listening and I'm so happy you like it! Really, like, I have toiled away in semi-obscurity for over a decade and it is always great to hear someone else enjoys what I made.
I didn't know what you meant at first with your second comment but I see now the grey text on black background of the lyrics are probably pretty hard to read for some people. Thank you so much for letting me know, as I just had it on the default setting I think and didn't even think about it. All the best to you and your own music, and thanks again.

Nice work, indeed, the vibe (at least for me) is very 80s, and i love it a lot! Congrats, very well done work - arrangement, melody, instruments, levels, etc.... In another of your songs (Dysfunction City), i felt a reminiscence of New Order or a little of Joy Division, maybe the guitar/bass.... happy i got to know yout work! Gratz again!
My music project "Strange Adventures in Void" :arrow:
https://soundcloud.com/savoid

Return to “Music Cafe”