Is there any framework dedicated to MIDI VST plugins scripting / development?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wonder if there's a framework or VST plugin dedicated to the development of custom MIDI processing and generators (like Scaler, Captain Chord, Surge Stochas, etc.) inside a VST host. I haven't found anything flexible enough and, in particular, able to generate MIDI events (notes and CC).

I'm aware of the limitations and complexities set by Steinberg for MIDI VST3 plugins development, and I'm not willing to develop my own plugins. Something like Blue Cat's Plug'n Script, SOUL, Elementary, etc. but dedicated to MIDI would be great.

I was going to say reaktor but I guess you would have to code your own stuff

What doesn't Plug'n Script have that you want to do? It does allow for MIDI-processing scripts. Moreover the dev is quite active and, if you can identify any limitation, he might address it.

Have a look at Loomer Architect. It's what you're asking for and much more.

Yes Loomer architect is what you need and want
It's awesome
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

go_fig wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:54 am What doesn't Plug'n Script have that you want to do? It does allow for MIDI-processing scripts. Moreover the dev is quite active and, if you can identify any limitation, he might address it.
It can indeed do MIDI-only effects even as a VST, no problem. Just use the "Synth" version of Plug'n Script if you want to avoid the VST host to stop processing MIDI in the plug-in after a few seconds.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:18 am It can indeed do MIDI-only effects even as a VST, no problem. Just use the "Synth" version of Plug'n Script if you want to avoid the VST host to stop processing MIDI in the plug-in after a few seconds.
I didn't know Plug'n Script was able to work as a MIDI generator too. A good reason to give it a try!
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:36 am Yes Loomer architect is what you need and want
It's awesome
Loomer looks great but AFAICS it's been in beta since years and this is not reassuring, given that it's not so cheap...
awol9000 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:42 pm I was going to say reaktor but I guess you would have to code your own stuff
I've worked with Reaktor (and Max, Pure Data, etc.) but I'm looking for something where I can code things, I mean with textual code. I'm a programmer and I feel more comfortable with programming lenguages rather then visual environments.

I add myself something to this list: Cabbage/Csound. Apparently MidiOut from the VST2 plugins it generates are correctly recevied from Reaper. I will make some tests with other DAWs, along with digging a bit more in Plug'n Script.

i know you're not on Mac, but just throwing this in for reference if someone else is looking for a similar thing

https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpr ... ac/10.15.7

When looking for an alternative to apples scripter I came across this:
https://www.osar.fr/protoplug/

Personally I would always prefer the Max/Pd way of programming over any lines of code. Since I moved away from Pascal/Modula II to Max/MSP in the 90s I never looked back, but in Max I could still go into javascript or Java if I needed to…
I hesitated to even try Loomer for its price, and as I can easily route Midi from app to app, in doubt I could patch quickly in Max and route it from/to Bitwig…
I still should have a look at Camomile to get Pd into a vst…

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:46 pm Personally I would always prefer the Max/Pd way of programming over any lines of code. Since I moved away from Pascal/Modula II to Max/MSP in the 90s I never looked back, but in Max I could still go into javascript or Java if I needed to…
I hesitated to even try Loomer for its price, and as I can easily route Midi from app to app, in doubt I could patch quickly in Max and route it from/to Bitwig…
I still should have a look at Camomile to get Pd into a vst…
I've explored many of these solutions, including Cabbage / Csound. Not having an Ableton license I'm not considering MAX, although I've played with it for a while. MAX standalone is not an option becasue Audio/Midi routing and sync on Windows is a nightmare. In general I'm much more productive with lines of code rather then patching things visually, but this is not the main point to me. The real point is having something well integrated in a DAW, without having to get mad synching and linking things.

Loomer looks promising, but I'm not confident with it. No tutorials, only 39 pages of manual for quite a complex application... and still in beta since years. And quite expensive for a beta!

In the end I found that (on Windows) the best options to me are Blue Cats PnS and Cabbage. The first one has the great pro that can do everything without leaving the DAW.

Another different kind of option (that I love!) will arrive soon when VCV Rack 2 will be released. The paid version (VCV Rack Studio) will be available as a plugin (VST, AU, etc.) with multiple Audio and MIDI I/O. Moreover VCV has a special Prototype module to execute scripts in multiple languages.

giohappy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:59 pm I wonder if there's a framework or VST plugin dedicated to the development of custom MIDI processing and generators (like Scaler, Captain Chord, Surge Stochas, etc.) inside a VST host. I haven't found anything flexible enough and, in particular, able to generate MIDI events (notes and CC).

I'm aware of the limitations and complexities set by Steinberg for MIDI VST3 plugins development, and I'm not willing to develop my own plugins. Something like Blue Cat's Plug'n Script, SOUL, Elementary, etc. but dedicated to MIDI would be great.

• Maybe this could be interesting for you:

https://www.bespokesynth.com/

I just know it since 2 days, thus I am not deep in it. Seems that you can integrate python scripts there.
  • In Reaper you can also define small Midi-Fx via Jesu-Script.
  • I assume (but dunno), that in some DAWs you can „use“ the scripting abilities for connecting MIDI controllers to implement some additional function also, since you get some pretty access on a DAW-API, e.g.
    -FL Studio
    -Bitwig
    -Tracktion Waveform

Protoplug is based on Juce Framework, it should therefore be able to create midi notes. And afair the examples come with midi examples as well. But you should note that placing notes "in time" requires some math... you have to compute sample offsets...

In the end I wenr for a MaxMSP license. Indeed it provides the highest flexibility over any other solution, and having NodeJS I can do whatever I can imagine. That's superawesome

giohappy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:37 pm In the end I wenr for a MaxMSP license. Indeed it provides the highest flexibility over any other solution, and having NodeJS I can do whatever I can imagine. That's superawesome
You made a great choice! Max is really fun and I love using it to test out ideas (including generating midi).

Return to “Instruments”