Advantage of guitar/bass tone pots over digital in-the-box EQ?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
KVRist
101 posts since 31 Jan, 2021

Post Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:02 am

I am curious, do all Eq mediums, besides linear phase, the same degree of phase shifting, be it hardware or digital? Besides desirable saturation on hardware analog EQ, is there a reason to prefer them over digital EQ? More specifically, is there a reason to EQ a bass guitar using the built-in tone pots over EQing in-the-box once it is recorded, besides "committing" to a sound during recording?

KVRAF
12898 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:08 pm

Filters are filters, digital filters work on the same basic principles as analog filters :shrug:
sambaji wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:02 am
More specifically, is there a reason to EQ a bass guitar using the built-in tone pots over EQing in-the-box once it is recorded, besides "committing" to a sound during recording?
Not that I'm aware of. But there's equally no reason to put the pots in a different position than what the player is used to, just because you're recording.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

KVRAF
2448 posts since 18 May, 2002 from up on Cripple Creek (CO)

Post Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:05 am

If I use the tone controls on a guitar/bass, it's usually more to shape the sound as it goes into effects/amps/whatever, not for mixing.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Take music back from the suits and return it to the people.

KVRAF
4015 posts since 6 Nov, 2009

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:37 am

It seems like it has potential to ruin the sound since it's a committed/destructive effect. If you're recording a bassist who just loves his bass EQed all weird or something.

Return to “Production Techniques”