Why do I seem to like free synths better ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"I like synths that sound good."

I think we can all agree on that. Except this is KVR, so change my mind! :phones:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

And I don't trust free drinks Niether.. they just don't have the punch, the fullness and warmth of paid ones... paid drinks also have a better aftersales service from the suppliers to!!

syntonica wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:29 pm "I like synths that sound good."
too many variables

If I connect with a synth and it invites me to explore it, it doesn't really matter to me if it's free, paid, soft- or hardware. In some cases I first used a free version (Aalto Solo and Reaktor Player), and upgraded to the full versions when they became core instruments in my setup.

With Zebralatte/Zebra I much prefer the free, limited version- Zebralette is really deep and fascinating synth on it's own and I don't need the flexibility of full Zebra. In this case the paid option doesn't make the freebie obsolete.

What Surge does could probably be done by numerous other synths, but it has a really clever interface that I just find very enjoyable. Spending money and learning some similar, versatile synth wouldn't benefit me in any way.

I've always used freeware synths, and they are just as valuable to me as instruments as anything I own.

surreal wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:41 pm And I don't trust free drinks Niether.. they just don't have the punch, the fullness and warmth of paid ones... paid drinks also have a better aftersales service from the suppliers to!!
free love :party:

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:24 pm
surreal wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:41 pm And I don't trust free drinks Niether.. they just don't have the punch, the fullness and warmth of paid ones... paid drinks also have a better aftersales service from the suppliers to!!
And with free drinks come free roofies! :dog:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:28 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:24 pm
And with free drinks come free roofies! :dog:
:party: yes please!

I think we can all agree on that. Except this is KVR, so change my mind! :phones:
:hihi:
I remember a thread in Everything Else, 'Tone is bullshit', or something, tone is overrated. I think it was 'guitar tone' which didn't mean the tone of the guitar, but the amp. idiots abound

.jon wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:51 pm If I connect with a synth and it invites me to explore it, it doesn't really matter to me if it's free, paid, soft- or hardware. In some cases I first used a free version (Aalto Solo and Reaktor Player), and upgraded to the full versions when they became core instruments in my setup.

With Zebralatte/Zebra I much prefer the free, limited version- Zebralette is really deep and fascinating synth on it's own and I don't need the flexibility of full Zebra. In this case the paid option doesn't make the freebie obsolete.

What Surge does could probably be done by numerous other synths, but it has a really clever interface that I just find very enjoyable. Spending money and learning some similar, versatile synth wouldn't benefit me in any way.

I've always used freeware synths, and they are just as valuable to me as instruments as anything I own.
Thanks for reminding us about "Surge" and "Zebralette". Both good synths and installed now. :)

jancivil wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:03 pm

I remember a thread in Everything Else, 'Tone is bullshit', or something, tone is overrated. I think it was 'guitar tone' which didn't mean the tone of the guitar, but the amp. idiots abound
"wood" is overrated!
my plastic dan electro sounds bloody great, through fuzz n stuff :D

Why does everyone but me have so stable preferences? Sometimes less is more to me, sometimes it deffo isn’t. Sometimes hardware dominate productions, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes analog synths are the coolest, sometimes they are but redundant junk. Sometimes a free synth is da zing because it feels good knowing it is free, other times free feels like cheap, and I have to use paid one to assure myself that it doesn’t. You lucky bastards.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:08 pm
jancivil wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:03 pm

"wood" is overrated!
my plastic dan electro sounds bloody great, through fuzz n stuff :D
in itself it almost doesn't sound

I had a lot of paid plugins before and sold them all to play hardware with a live band. But our guitarist started struggling with his bipolarism and I started looking at free plugins to get me past the down time. Free is all I need now.

HaNon B70
Kawai K1v
Uhe Zebralette &
Triple Cheese &
Podolski

I much prefer the paid synths that cause me great financial hardship and pain.You can't play the blues when you get your synths for free.
Last edited by dblock on Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Now look at them yo-yo's, that's the way you do it
You play the guitar on the MTV
That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Money for nothin', and your synths for free
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Return to “Instruments”