How would you rate Hive for leads?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need quality leads to play and to arpeggiate. I think Roland Zenology has excellent leads but is part of the cloud only.

Nice pads and basses are a bonus.

Download the demo and testdrive it
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

You're assuming that we know something about your taste in music and synth sound design. Hive 2 is a very high-quality implementation of a useful synth architecture. I have no idea if that is suitable for your musical goals.

I already put the gauntlet down is it as good as Roland Zenology?

Go demo it.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Guess no one has an opinion. Not got a pc for a few weeks, in limbo atm with a new build so can't demo anything currently. Will resort to watching more youtube videos then.

I like SynthMaster One better. That's my opinion. Have tried the demo of Hive 2.

Hive isn't bad at anything but for leads I would rather try Diva or a good analog synth emulation first.

4/5. Very good but not my first choice.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

It depends what you mean by "good". I still have no idea what genre you're producing, what would be a typical lead sound in that genre, and what would make it especially "good" in your view.

Zenology looks very preset-oriented with a primarily Sample&Synthesis engine. Personally I prefer to get a bit deeper with oscillators, so sounds can be modulated at a more fundamental level. Make something rich and "alive", then use a filter to emphasise frequencies of interest. But the "Roland sound" is more about simple oscillators with smooth filters and lots of FX.

Hive 2 has somewhat tweakable oscillators (more flexible than a vintage synth but less complex than Zebra or a modular system) into a choice of filters and a decent set of bread-and-butter effects. So it can do those sounds well.

imrae wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:42 pm It depends what you mean by "good". I still have no idea what genre you're producing, what would be a typical lead sound in that genre, and what would make it especially "good" in your view.

Zenology looks very preset-oriented with a primarily Sample&Synthesis engine. Personally I prefer to get a bit deeper with oscillators, so sounds can be modulated at a more fundamental level. Make something rich and "alive", then use a filter to emphasise frequencies of interest. But the "Roland sound" is more about simple oscillators with smooth filters and lots of FX.

Hive 2 has somewhat tweakable oscillators (more flexible than a vintage synth but less complex than Zebra or a modular system) into a choice of filters and a decent set of bread-and-butter effects. So it can do those sounds well.
The Roland sound imo is very musical and "coloured", more so than any other hardware synth manufacturer by far. That is what I am looking for. I have the hardware but would like to see if there is an interesting VST alternative that isn't a direct emulation for ease of use. No sense getting the cloud version or inferior emulations when I have the hardware there but I'd rather keep it ITB for now.

If you're looking for a colored sound, something like the dreaded Omnisphere may be more to your taste. Hive is very modern and clean sounding, despite the different filter choices.

You might also check out Synthmaster2 (not One, which is more Hive-like) and Spire with its multiple filter models. If a more analog sound is your bag, check out Phonec2.

All of these synths are quite capable at lead sounds, but I think you're more after the synth's overall character.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:56 pm If you're looking for a colored sound, something like the dreaded Omnisphere may be more to your taste. Hive is very modern and clean sounding, despite the different filter choices.

You might also check out Synthmaster2 (not One, which is more Hive-like) and Spire with its multiple filter models. If a more analog sound is your bag, check out Phonec2.

All of these synths are quite capable at lead sounds, but I think you're more after the synth's overall character.
Great answer. I would go to youtube and check out super saw comparisons. At least that seems to be good advice if you are look for leads, but maybe there is a better method of comparison.

I used to love the old Roland sound. I've got the JV880 & JV1080 racks, and the XP30 keys (JV2080 based), fully expanded.

But since I've discovered soft synths, I'm afraid that I'm not giving the Rolands the love they deserve... :(

Return to “Instruments”