How would you rate Hive for leads?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bulbizarre wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:43 pm Hive isn't bad at anything but for leads I would rather try Diva or a good analog synth emulation first.
I believe Hive may be a digital synth emulation. Not bad at all, but if you are looking for a sweet analog lead, that might not be the one.

After trying the demo of Diva and Repro, I went Repro. Hard to find a synth with a better analog emulation than those 2. Can't go wrong with either.

The advantage to Diva is that it's not a strict copy of one synth architecture. You can mix up the oscillator and filter types. Repro is a straight up model of the Prophet sound. Which is fantastic, in my opinion! :tu:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

No offense but the OP said he was looking for quality leads.
Analog emulations are everything but quality leads, they are a back-to-the-past quality. What is analog if not imperfections ? To me analog is a synonym of retro sound, boomer generation sound design capabilities and most of all a sound that seems to come from your uncle's radio.
I totally understand and respect that some people love it (you understand I'm part of the people who don't, we're all different, no problem with that), but the OP gave us the example of Roland Zenology, that is a step beyond analog emulation, and is aiming for Hive, that is pure digital approach.

I think Dune3, Vital, Rapid, Spire, or even Avenger (!! mostly EDM presets, could disappoint you at first look !!) would make better leads for you imho. Check out Tone2 products also. Icarus is awesome.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:55 pm Analog emulations are everything but quality leads, they are a back-to-the-past quality.
Say whaaaat??? :dog:

zzz00m wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:17 pm
DJErmac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:55 pm Analog emulations are everything but quality leads, they are a back-to-the-past quality.
Say whaaaat??? :dog:
For sure you can understand an opinion that's not yours. I'm not attacking you in any way, we're different in what we're looking for, that's all.
I can rephrase that : analog emulations sound crappy to me.
I understand they sound gorgeous to you. To me, the synths you've listed sound like sh!t. There's nothing I can do with these synths. The high frequencies are dead, the low frequencies are unstable, that's a sound from the past.
For example, when I hear the leads from the 80's on records, I'm having a good laugh. There are tons of examples, "The Final Countdown", "Jump"...
I have no problem with people who love this. The only question here is what the OP is looking for.

DJErmac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:21 pm The only problem here is what the OP is looking for.
You are clearly way off topic here. Th OP wanted to compare Roland with Hive. Where you came up with all this EDM synth stuff is strictly from your imagination. :dog:

zzz00m wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:28 pm
DJErmac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:21 pm The only problem here is what the OP is looking for.
You are clearly way off topic here. Th OP wanted to compare Roland with Hive. Where you came up with all this EDM synth stuff is strictly from your imagination. :dog:
Hive is THE supersaw synth. It's clearly comparable with the synths I've listed. People often say it's a Sylenth alternative, which is THE EDM n°1 synth. I'm listing Hive alternatives that deliver high quality leads.
Are you sure you're closer with your analog stuff that are completely unrelated to Hive AND to Zenology that are both not emulating anything ? Yes ? OK, then.
Anyway I'm not here to make a contest of which one of us came closer. Just trying to help.
If the OP finds what he's looking for, that's all that matters.

DJErmac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:34 pm
zzz00m wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:28 pm
Hive is THE supersaw synth. It's clearly comparable with the synths I've listed. People often say it's a Sylenth alternative, which is THE EDM n°1 synth. I'm listing Hive alternatives that deliver high quality leads.
Are you sure you're closer with your analog stuff that are completely unrelated to Hive AND to Zenology that are both not emulating anything ? Yes ? OK, then.
Anyway I'm not here to make a contest of which one of us came closer. Just trying to help.
If the OP finds what he's looking for, that's all that matters.
Carry on then... for the record, I like all musical styles, and all synths... I do not choose a best, only what's best for what it does...

No offense in any way, be sure I deeply respect your tastes and opinions. If you say you like blue, I answer : OK you like blue. I like red.

DJErmac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:41 pm 4/5. Very good but not my first choice.
Which synth is?
Edit: oh i saw you listed them.
Yes i kinda prefer hypersaws in hive over Diva.

Also, bazille- the most modern and underrated of uhe’s synth. Gritty af, great leads and basses

DJErmac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:55 pm No offense but the OP said he was looking for quality leads.
Nobody ever made a quality lead on an analog synth...

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:48 am
DJErmac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:55 pm No offense but the OP said he was looking for quality leads.
Nobody ever made a quality lead on an analog synth...
Don't make me say what I never said : the OP did not post the question in an indefinite past date. He's asking today. My view is that at the time, there are way better alternatives than analog emulations if you're looking for quality.
Of course awesome synths were made in the past using analog synths.
I'm a big fan of the Alpha Juno leads for example. But the leads were awesome 25 years ago, now I find them pale sounding when compared to what you can get with modern tools.

I disagree, I think analog sound gets overlooked nowadays and on here. I have myself been not very interested but ironically this thread has made me more interested. You can't replicate 80's stuff without it imho. And I am not the type to think that we need updating because old synths sound old whatever that means. I have to say and this makes me joyful but many artists could be using old sounds to create new music that is unrealized as of this moment. I go back and listen to 80's all the time and I don't care how "corny" or "soft" it may sound (I assume that's the negative feelings that people feel about 80's music). But, it makes me happy and that is important to me. I grew up in the 80's and the nostalgia is very powerful for me. Something that I have realized lately is that catchy melodies are what makes hits. We complicate music too much by adding to much melodies and layers when what hits us is that rhythm and tune, not just the vibe. I hope this is interesting to some on here. I strive to find new ways of approaching musicality.

twal wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 am I have to say and this makes me joyful but many artists could be using old sounds to create new music that is unrealized as of this moment.
100% agree. I never said analog synths should be banned from Earth, all I said is that they're not what I think of if I'm looking for quality in 2021.
twal wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 amI go back and listen to 80's all the time and I don't care how "corny" or "soft" it may sound (I assume that's the negative feelings that people feel about 80's music).
As far as I'm concerned I think they sound somewhat childish sometimes, kinda naive. But I'm a huge fan of some 80's music anyway. It's just the synths... they sound so simple, like they're from a kid synth... :scared:
twal wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 amSomething that I have realized lately is that catchy melodies are what makes hits.
100% agree.

Yes, for sure, you can make a huge hit using analog synths today, it may sound very great, never said the contrary. I only, only talked about my opinion on quality.

Don't misunderstand me : I'm only talking about TODAY. Nothing more, nothing less. I think today you can get a better sound using modern tools. Period. To me analog means : past. And sound from the past has, in my humble opinion, been improved since.

I wouldn't buy a synth based on sound alone... and certainly not for one particular sound type or quality. Hive only has a 16 step sequencer, which is ok but still limiting when you compare to other synths like Dune 3 or Rapid which have 32 step and midi file playback. So it's something to consider.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

DJErmac wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:35 am
twal wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 am I have to say and this makes me joyful but many artists could be using old sounds to create new music that is unrealized as of this moment.
100% agree. I never said analog synths should be banned from Earth, all I said is that they're not what I think of if I'm looking for quality in 2021.
twal wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 amI go back and listen to 80's all the time and I don't care how "corny" or "soft" it may sound (I assume that's the negative feelings that people feel about 80's music).
As far as I'm concerned I think they sound somewhat childish sometimes, kinda naive. But I'm a huge fan of some 80's music anyway. It's just the synths... they sound so simple, like they're from a kid synth... :scared:
twal wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 amSomething that I have realized lately is that catchy melodies are what makes hits.
100% agree.

Yes, for sure, you can make a huge hit using analog synths today, it may sound very great, never said the contrary. I only, only talked about my opinion on quality.

Don't misunderstand me : I'm only talking about TODAY. Nothing more, nothing less. I think today you can get a better sound using modern tools. Period. To me analog means : past. And sound from the past has, in my humble opinion, been improved since.
That's fine I'm not assuming anything of you. I just was stating what I was for anyone to hear. I was influenced by your post but I didn't quote just because I didn't want to assert anything.

With that being said, I feel as though the old synths like you were saying can sound childish, but I think that it comes down to specific sounds being used in some tracks. And the style of it as well, but I believe that more "modern" sounds can drown out the feeling or other sounds. What kind of music do you like that is modern (that's using the synths you believe are newer sounding and more advanced) that I can listen to to get a feeling of what you are meaning by modern sounding better? I am curious about it. I think that most of the EDM, Trance, House or whatever that is being made or what uses wobble and Serum hard bass/synth would be hard to make an actual hit with not that there aren't hits but I mean legendary songs or what not. Not to down play those genres, but what I am looking for melody that is catchy and poppy. That's what I am starting to go for now anyways, because most of the subtle vibe and what is out today will be mostly be forgotten (or hard electronic stuff like Dub Step or whatever); it just leaves out singing, and singing to me is important.

Return to “Instruments”