NI Super 8 opinions.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

has anyone else had issues with super-8 and it’s affecting maxforlive devices?

pixel85 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:17 pm
jancivil wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:41 pm I'm a bit curious about an assertion
In Komplete Kontrol the same plugin works properly. I can use bezier curves etc. Outside KK: nope, nada. It's the only synth with such an issue.
:phew:
thx. I'm not real into this particular synth, but that was a bit troubling as a generality.

Super 8 sounds great, IMO. It's a nice mix of the Juno 60, Jupiter 8, and Alpha Juno.

There's one thing you need to do under the hood though: A) Go into Reaktor and up the voice count to 12 or 16, then B) use the unison mode.

Bandaide wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 pm Super 8 sounds great, IMO. It's a nice mix of the Juno 60, Jupiter 8, and Alpha Juno.

There's one thing you need to do under the hood though: A) Go into Reaktor and up the voice count to 12 or 16, then B) use the unison mode.
It's more modeled after a prophet (the filters anyways). Sort of a Prophet/Juno design.

Really digging this synth, my favourite in Komplete so far. It sounds amazing and the workflow is really good, the only thing I miss is switchable legato/retrig for glide. I can work around it for certain sounds using automation/modulation, but it would be nice to have it still.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:39 pm Really digging this synth, my favourite in Komplete so far. It sounds amazing and the workflow is really good, the only thing I miss is switchable legato/retrig for glide. I can work around it for certain sounds using automation/modulation, but it would be nice to have it still.
It’s one of only 3 things I like from NI: Kontakt, Super 8, and ReplikaXT (which I’ve replaced with Timeless3). Worth the $99. But $49 is a great deal.

It sounds excellent. Sucks that it’s yet another NI synth that you can’t resize, though.

PieBerger wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:39 pm Really digging this synth, my favourite in Komplete so far. It sounds amazing and the workflow is really good, the only thing I miss is switchable legato/retrig for glide. I can work around it for certain sounds using automation/modulation, but it would be nice to have it still.
Yeah. It drives me bonkers when synths fail to implement this. Glide is so, so much more useful when you have the option to only make it occur when playing legato. I can't ever think of a time that I want glide to happen on every single note.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:10 pm
Bandaide wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 pm Super 8 sounds great, IMO. It's a nice mix of the Juno 60, Jupiter 8, and Alpha Juno.

It's more modeled after a prophet (the filters anyways). Sort of a Prophet/Juno design.
Where are people getting the notion that it's like any of the Juno line? Those are single oscillator synths with single envelopes and 1 LFO. Super 8 is a 2 oscillator synth (and the Sync and Crossmod that comes with that -- nowhere to be found on any Juno, of course) with two envelopes and two LFOs.

It's far closer in design to the Prophet and the OB-Xa / 8 than any Juno synth. And the filter, I remember reading when it first came out, originated from the old NI Pro-5 synth -- so again, Prophet. Though certainly the overall setup is similar to a Jupiter-8 as well, but I find the sound more in the Sequential zone than the Roland one -- again probably because of the filter.

Great synth, though! I especially love how easy it is to set up Polyphonic LFOs that modulate cutoff, Panning, etc -- allows for much more complex programming / sound-design than many other similar 'retro' style synths.
Last edited by mholloway on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mholloway wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:51 am Where are people getting the notion that it's like any of the Juno line?

I don't see anything Roland-y or Juno-y about the thing.
The faders for the oscillators and filter are very Juno-y.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:25 am
mholloway wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:51 am Where are people getting the notion that it's like any of the Juno line?

How so? The Juno 6, 60 and 106 don't even have faders for the waveforms on their oscillator, but rather just On - Off buttons with no level control, so I have no idea what you could mean by this. (And as for the filter having a fader, that's, well, every analog synth I've ever seen, so not sure what makes that "Juno-y" at all....)

Bandaide wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 pmThere's one thing you need to do under the hood though: A) Go into Reaktor and up the voice count to 12 or 16, then B) use the unison mode.
It's a standalone VSTi these days, it doesn't live in Reaktor any more.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

mholloway wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:29 am
PieBerger wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:25 am

How so? The Juno 6, 60 and 106 don't even have faders for the waveforms on their oscillator, but rather just On - Off buttons with no level control, so I have no idea what you could mean by this. (And as for the filter having a fader, that's, well, every analog synth I've ever seen, so not sure what makes that "Juno-y" at all....)
https://www.roland.com/us/products/rc_juno-60/

Roland's own Juno-60 emulation shows faders/sliders for mixing the different oscillator waveforms together, presumably they decided to improve upon the hardware's original on/off switch design and use the same fader style as the other controls on the synth.

As for "faders on every analog synth you've ever seen", you must not have seen many Moog, Korg or Oberheim synths then, because they use rotary encoders knobs/pots/whatever you want to call them, for their filter cutoff control.
Last edited by PieBerger on Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always Read the Manual!

Rotary encoders != knobs. :)

Delete
Always Read the Manual!

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:43 am Rotary encoders != knobs. :)
Fixed!
Always Read the Manual!

Return to “Instruments”