Question about LUFS for Streaming Platforms

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
KVRist
137 posts since 10 Jul, 2010

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi,

I have a question about the LUFS on streaming platforms. I mixed a song and sent it to a professional mastering service. There were 2 mastered revisions and I picked the second version, because it sounds louder & fuller. I sent it to the distribution service, then later when I checked listening to it on Youtube Music & Spotify, it sounds horrible. It is dull, the sound is not interesting, & softer especially compared to other commercial tracks or even the advertisement sounds. After long research, I found that the second version LUFS is too loud (Integrated = -10.97 LUFS) for streaming platforms and that's probably the reason, I got the penalty. I checked the first version LUFS is slightly lower (Integrated = -11.90 LUFS). Do you think it will make a difference if I upload the first version instead? The first version still sounds good to me.

Thanks.

hc.

KVRAF
1521 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm

Well, the LUFS should match the platform loudness or be quieter than
the platform-loudness:

- 23 LUFS Broadcasting
- 16 LUFS iTunes
- 14 LUFS Soundcloud
- 13 LUFS Youtube
- 12 LUFS Spotify
- 9 LUFS Old school CD-mastering (in Loudness-war)

:wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

KVRAF
1729 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:11 pm

If you're quieter than the platform loudness, doesn't that create a risk of bad clipping/limiting when it is raised? How much headroom do they usually allow?

KVRAF
12877 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:02 am

chanjay wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:46 pm
Do you think it will make a difference if I upload the first version instead?
Oh yes, absolutely.

Perhaps a less compressed version sounds even better. Seems there's still about 3dB of unused headroom if it's -11 instead of -14dB.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

KVRer
7 posts since 6 Jun, 2021 from Denmark

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:29 am

My target is -8/9 (its for Club Music), and then let the streaming services do their thing.

Return to “Production Techniques”