Recommended analog mixer for keyboard and synths

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,
I have some keyboard and synths and want an analog mixer to connect everything to them rather than using a few ports of my sound card. I mostly need a line in rather than many input Mics.
What is your recommendation to consider price, and possibly having internal effects like reverb or delay ...
Thanks

Any mixer with enough channels of a reputable brand: Mackie, Allen&Heath, SoundCraft, Spirit, Yamaha...

If you don't plan on using mics and only have synths, you can consider a Line Mixer which has only faders, no tone control. A lot smaller, fits 19" rack.

I'd advice against recording fx from the mixer. Better use plugins so you can change it later, pick settings that best fits the mix. For live usage these effects are ok I guess.
Last edited by BertKoor on Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

For cheap, with internal FX?
Maybe Soundcrat EPM serie...
But you should give your needs (how many inputs, how many stereo tracks, how many busses, etc) and your budget.

Not much to choose from without lots of mic inputs and with stereo inputs for synths with stereo outputs.

I have a Mackie 802 vlz4 to connect my gear and to play them without turning on the computer. I've been very happy with it, compact, solid and great sounding unit (also decent headphone amp) with a clever routing feature that lets me select which inputs to send to my audio interface.

Would totally recommend that line of mixers.

I have a Rane 8 channel stereo mixer- 1 space rack mount. Not sure they still sell them but there must be similar.
However you can get almost any old mixer that has enough stereo line ins. I’ve used mackies for many years before i got the Rane and still use them for extra stuff.

For my homebuilt analogs i just build super simple mixer modules although i’m floating towards VCA/mixers lately.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:07 pm I have a Rane 8 channel stereo mixer- 1 space rack mount. Not sure they still sell them but there must be similar.
However you can get almost any old mixer that has enough stereo line ins. I’ve used mackies for many years before i got the Rane and still use them for extra stuff.

For my homebuilt analogs i just build super simple mixer modules although i’m floating towards VCA/mixers lately.
Mostly agree with BK except sometimes the effects are handy for tracking vocalist (just in there monitors). Sorry way ot…
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I use a Behringer XENYX 1002B. Compact but still with nice faders instead of rotary level controls. Up to 6 inputs, no internal FX but 2 sends. Well made, cheap and can take batteries.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:49 pm Not much to choose from without lots of mic inputs and with stereo inputs for synths with stereo outputs.
You can usually take two mic/line inputs, pan one full left and the other full right and use them as a stereo pair.

I went with a smaller Allen & Heath for similar purposes. Works well, low noise floor, straightforward. But anyway, I’m pretty sure, as mentioned upthread, any major respected brand should be fine.

I've been using one of these for years in my synth/keyboard-based studio. Lots of great features, especially per channel switches for balanced/unbalanced input so you can set the right input impedance for each of your synths, and selectable mono/stereo output for each channel out. The second channel can be used as an aux bus for FX or a second output to your audio interface.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I've considered getting a Speck XtraMix X6 a couple of times: http://www.speck.com/xtramix6/xtramix_x6.html
20 stereo line-level input channels, 4 Auxes, 4 stereo returns and 8 busses.

It's expensive but Speck makes really good stuff.

Oooh...I like the look of that. I might be in for a submixer soon, and was starting to eye the small mixers around - none of them really got me going that much despite being quite good value. But this is ideal. Simple, no pointless internal FX or routing options that TBH I wouldn't use. Even the Eq is debatable on mixers - unless I went for a good mixer I probably wouldn't use it either (having been used to higher quality mixers in the past). And having had older Behringer FX rack units that were built like tanks - this line mixer looks the same solid quality. And I alwaays liked the silver/black look of Behringer racks, still do. I wasn't impressed by the noise levels and crosstalk on older Behringer Euro mixers, but a quick surf around hints that these line mixers are pretty quiet. Tempting!

Currently I just have a patchbay that routes everything, but it would be nice to have a specific synth mixer to cobble together a handful of synths - and all stereo too! Thanks for posting this - didn't even know it existed. :tu:

Not sure I like the separate R/L volume controls - never understood the benefit of that in pro gear - personally I want a single control to ensure it's evenly matched, and I'll do stereo shit inside the synth itself, but I can live with it.

I use a Peavey RQ 200. 4 of the six channels have stereo line inputs. And on channel six I can even plug two stereo inputs. And as the 4 stereo channels have a separate gain control for line and mic, you get all together 16 inputs. All that on a really small footprint. I think there is also a Behringer clone of it…

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”