Why do I seem to like free synths better ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Full Bucket wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:41 am The other much more commonly occuring motive is that it's teasing for payware.
And/or grabbing mail addresses for registration, newletters, advertising...
This of course might be a possibility, but regarding ads and newsletters, at least for me, none of my free stuff does this, while quite a few of my paid stuff does, especially from the big boys in the business.

Of course i don't know about their sinister plans in the background, but at least other than Vital, none of my free stuff even asked for my email or similar.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:28 am Of course i don't know about their sinister plans in the background, but at least other than Vital, none of my free stuff even asked for my email or similar.
Sure, not all do this. Mine for example. But I have other evil plans for the world.... ahahahahahaHAHAHAHA!
Bild_2021-06-17_130136.png
Just kidding. :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That's a myth. :wink:

Well, you can call it whatever you want but I can certainly say that limitations work for me and others who said the same thing.

But not everyone is the same, so some people benefit from having more options.

By the way, a myth has a reason for being a myth.

Enough people thought the same about a thing to arrive at the same conclusion.

dfraze wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 am

By the way, a myth has a reason for being a myth.

like dragons! 🐉

But... Evil Dragon exists?
Myth or fact?
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:36 am But... Evil Dragon exists?
Myth or fact?
he's very nice though, not evil at all, so im not sure i believe the dragon bit either :shrug:

more like "snuggly kitten" :)

Well, you can call it whatever you want but I can certainly say that limitations work for me and others who said the same thing.
How does limiting yourself make you more creative ? Please explain. It's the freedom from limitations that makes me more creative. Again if someone suffers from paralysis of choice that's a different matter altogether.
dfraze wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 am By the way, a myth has a reason for being a myth.
Enough people thought the same about a thing to arrive at the same conclusion.
Pay attention to the second definition of a myth.

Myth.png

"2. a widely held but false belief or idea.". :wink:

By the way quoting someone's post without including their name is in really poor form.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:43 pm
How does limiting yourself make you more creative ? Please explain.
some ppl find having a large number of tools/colours etc means they spend most of the time choosing which one to use, rather than creating.

some ppl prefer a limited amount to encourage creativity

note, limited tools does not mean limited sounds.... with just a very few you can create most sounds.. having a massive library of synths doesn't necessarily mean you have a larger spectrum of sounds

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:43 pm "2. a widely held but false belief or idea.". :wink:
Its not a myth if its not based on a belief, but on personal experience. In my case I can tell its not a myth, you can’t as its not part of your personal experience. But your belief that its a myth is a myth obviously… I can see that and I know you can’t which is fine. I believe you, that fewer limitations help your creativity… :hug:

AnX wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:04 pm some ppl find having a large number of tools/colours etc means they spend most of the time choosing which one to use, rather than creating.
That's called paralysis of choice. I don't suffer from that. I know my tools so I don't spend any time choosing which one to use since I know which is right for the job at hand.
AnX wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:04 pmsome ppl prefer a limited amount to encourage creativity
Yes I get that some people do I just don't understand how limitations could possibly encourage creativity. Limitations just stifle creativity in my opinion. If you can be creative with one then you should be more creative with two. It seems like solid logic to me.
AnX wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:04 pmnote, limited tools does not mean limited sounds.... with just a very few you can create most sounds.. having a massive library of synths doesn't necessarily mean you have a larger spectrum of sounds
Actually limiting your tools does limit your sounds and no you can't create every sound with every synth. No one can regardless of perceived or actual abilities. If you limit yourself to VA synths then you're going to limit the range of sounds you can make. Add in 6 Op Fm and you've expanded the range of sounds you can make. Add in multi-sample based synthesis and you expand the range of sounds you can make by an order of magnitude and so on....

Now I understand that not everyone wants a wide range of sounds at their disposal. But I do because I want my projects to have a wide range of colors with which to paint. I don't want them all to have the same sonic footprint.

When I open my plugin folder I know that I have an unlimited range of sounds to choose from and that makes me more creative. I'm never handcuffed by limitations. I never have a particular sound in mind then have to compromise by using another sound just because my choices are limited.

Of course everyone should use what works best for them but no one can convince me that limitations can do anything but limit creativity. At least no one has forwarded a convincing or cogent argument yet. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:21 pm But your belief that its a myth is a myth obviously… I can see that and I know you can’t which is fine.
I can see this....
dfraze wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:15 pm Limitations stimulate creativity.
I simply disagree. Perhaps people are confusing creativity with compromise.

Like I said everybody should use what's best for them. :tu:

But "limitations stimulate creativity" or the sister argument that "less is more" will always remain a myth....to me. :shrug:

usually I'm going with the minimalism approach, I have only 2-3 compressors/eq/delays/tape emulations/saturations and I'm making sure to keep it at the number (if I'm buying something new, I'll sell something else, no matter how great it is).

but with synths which I have about 10 of (this is going extreme for me), I don't buy them since I need to...or since my music needs it, I buy/download free ones it for my soul since:

1. I find it to have almost an healing effect on me, sometimes I'm doing something else, not related to music and just banging a keyboard in the background, just in order to hear the sound.
2. I find it fascinating to learn and to under how synths work, for example u-he synths have been a great inspiration and a learning experience, just being able to fully understand an advanced synth (other good example is Massive X), brings you to another level with your musical understanding, I find it then easier to handle some other musical related tasks, it just helps to further develop me as a musician.

So yes, there is some experimental time, playing around with sounds, learning new synths, which doesn't end up in a direct contribution to tracks I'm working on, but it ends up with me feeling better, inspired, and learning much more about music (even figuring stuff like all the effects in Uhbik, where did they draw their inspiration from...was a great learning experience).

so EQ, and Compressors ? I just buy what the songs need, and make sure not to buy additional stuff which I don't need.

Synths ? I see them as part of both as my personal development as a musician, and as a relaxing, healing instruments which are giving me a great pleasure.

so free ones, paid ones, as long as it "does it" to me, yes, I'll go with it.

Vital and Pendulate are amazing new free synths from 2020, I greatly enjoy them but then again, I enjoy also my paid ones and I'm even proud that part of my hard earned money, went to buy such valuable and enjoyable stuff, couldn't think about many other things which I could have purchased and would give me such pleasure.

I do think that limitations can increase creativity, unless the limitations are too strong. There is a kind of sweet spot between excessive and insufficient features.

Basically, limitations are what makes humans invent stuff to begin with.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:43 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:04 pm some ppl find having a large number of tools/colours etc means they spend most of the time choosing which one to use, rather than creating.
That's called paralysis of choice. I don't suffer from that. I know my tools so I don't spend any time choosing which one to use since I know which is right for the job at hand.
some do, some dont, everyone is different
Teksonik wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:43 pmIf you can be creative with one then you should be more creative with two. It seems like solid logic to me.
creativity isnt based on logic
Teksonik wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:43 pm Actually limiting your tools does limit your sounds
no, it doesnt
Teksonik wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:43 pm you can't create every sound with every synth.
i can create every sound i need with prob just one, but use a few (of course, you comeback will be "it must be a limited/boring palette...it isnt)
Teksonik wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:43 pm If you limit yourself to VA synths then you're going to limit the range of sounds you can make
cant say ive ever run out of ideas on a decent VA, not yet anyway...BTW, what is the range? dont think ive seen the laws on that...

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:43 pm ...Add in 6 Op Fm and you've expanded the range of sounds you can make. Add in multi-sample based synthesis and you expand the range of sounds you can make by an order of magnitude and so on....
like i said, a very few will cover most bases (sample playback/libraries not included, as we are talking synths)

nirm123 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:45 pm usually I'm going with the minimalism approach, I have only 2-3 compressors/eq/delays/tape emulations/saturations and I'm making sure to keep it at the number (if I'm buying something new, I'll sell something else, no matter how great it is).

but with synths which I have about 10 of (this is going extreme for me), I don't buy them since I need to...or since my music needs it, I buy/download free ones it for my soul since:

1. I find it to have almost an healing effect on me, sometimes I'm doing something else, not related to music and just banging a keyboard in the background, just in order to hear the sound.
2. I find it fascinating to learn and to under how synths work, for example u-he synths have been a great inspiration and a learning experience, just being able to fully understand an advanced synth (other good example is Massive X), brings you to another level with your musical understanding, I find it then easier to handle some other musical related tasks, it just helps to further develop me as a musician.

So yes, there is some experimental time, playing around with sounds, learning new synths, which doesn't end up in a direct contribution to tracks I'm working on, but it ends up with me feeling better, inspired, and learning much more about music (even figuring stuff like all the effects in Uhbik, where did they draw their inspiration from...was a great learning experience).

so EQ, and Compressors ? I just buy what the songs need, and make sure not to buy additional stuff which I don't need.

Synths ? I see them as part of both as my personal development as a musician, and as a relaxing, healing instruments which are giving me a great pleasure.

so free ones, paid ones, as long as it "does it" to me, yes, I'll go with it.

Vital and Pendulate are amazing new free synths from 2020, I greatly enjoy them but then again, I enjoy also my paid ones and I'm even proud that part of my hard earned money, went to buy such valuable and enjoyable stuff, couldn't think about many other things which I could have purchased and would give me such pleasure.
i use one compressor only these days.
on my guitar, second in the fx chain. (the fuzz is first)

Return to “Instruments”