Another annoying poll: Hive 2 versus Icarus 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Hive 2 or Icarus 2, which would you choose?

Hive 2
40%
Icarus 2
31%
completely different approaches, get both
30%

Total votes: 121

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have both. If I were to pick just one, it would be Hive.

I voted for both though cause I like to use the resynthesis in Icarus. Then I can bring the resulting wavetable into Hive if I wish.

I’ve got Icarus. Never bought Hive. It sounds good, but I’ve got a ton of good sounding plugin synths. At some point, you’ve got to stop.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:48 am I’ve got Icarus. Never bought Hive. It sounds good, but I’ve got a ton of good sounding plugin synths. At some point, you’ve got to stop.
For sure. If it doesn't fill a need, don't get it. Really, we could probably do fine if we learned just one synth well--a free one even.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:48 am I’ve got Icarus. Never bought Hive. It sounds good, but I’ve got a ton of good sounding plugin synths. At some point, you’ve got to stop.
The new filters in Hive 2.1 brought it to some new territory. Hive can now do some gorgeous physical modeling type sounds. I've been using Hive much more since the 2.1 update.

First of all, the comparison of both synthesizers, as well as many others, is at least just annoying, but what is difficult is to decide. I have both, and each has unique characteristics that make me feel fortunate to have both.

I think HIVE brings together the incredible wisdom and experience of u-he, plus the super sleek and intelligent HIVE synthesis engine, I'm very impressed by the XY pads real time control possibilities. The BIG preset library factory and from thirds, the extensive modulation and control matrix, the simple and effective handling of WT and the overall control of all the advanced features.

I like HIVE versatility, because despite being labeled as a digital factory for contemporary EDM, electronic, hard trends etc, it has an impressive power to synthesize almost any sound imaginable. HIVE also has very clear boundaries with DIVA and ZEBRA, and that makes it unique.

On the other hand, Icarus is for me truly a case of absolut originality and although it seems to be a futuristic techno synthesizer, the truth is that I see it as a kind of alien synthesizer capable of creating thousands of out-of-this-world variations instantly and always taking me to fascinating unknown places ready to explore sonically. I love the Morph, detune and supersaw, and re-synthesis power.

But if I need an everyday pad, a bass, piano, a lead, arps, and even drums, or those robotic voices that are amazing raw material to modify and recreate, they are always there from Icarus as well.

Something that I find amazing is Markus' ability to create not only amazing synths but the most creative presets EVER! Together with Troels I think they are true masters in the art of creating presets.
Session guitarist and music producer from Venezuela
One of my old demos: (Scarbee and Overloud)
https://bit.ly/3mDq0D3

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:48 am I’ve got a ton of good sounding plugin synths. At some point, you’ve got to stop.
Blasphemy!
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:59 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:48 am I’ve got a ton of good sounding plugin synths. At some point, you’ve got to stop.
Blasphemy!
I think he means when you're dead...
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:03 am
PieBerger wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:59 am
Blasphemy!
I think he means when you're dead...
That's no excuse :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

I had the same question a couple of years ago, ended up with Hive.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=534848

For whatever reason I don't really like the sound of Icarus, sounds too "artificial" for me. Same with Avenger.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Jazzguitar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 am First of all, the comparison of both synthesizers, as well as many others, is at least just annoying, but what is difficult is to decide. I have both, and each has unique characteristics that make me feel fortunate to have both.

I think HIVE brings together the incredible wisdom and experience of u-he, plus the super sleek and intelligent HIVE synthesis engine, I'm very impressed by the XY pads real time control possibilities. The BIG preset library factory and from thirds, the extensive modulation and control matrix, the simple and effective handling of WT and the overall control of all the advanced features.

I like HIVE versatility, because despite being labeled as a digital factory for contemporary EDM, electronic, hard trends etc, it has an impressive power to synthesize almost any sound imaginable. HIVE also has very clear boundaries with DIVA and ZEBRA, and that makes it unique.

On the other hand, Icarus is for me truly a case of absolut originality and although it seems to be a futuristic techno synthesizer, the truth is that I see it as a kind of alien synthesizer capable of creating thousands of out-of-this-world variations instantly and always taking me to fascinating unknown places ready to explore sonically. I love the Morph, detune and supersaw, and re-synthesis power.

But if I need an everyday pad, a bass, piano, a lead, arps, and even drums, or those robotic voices that are amazing raw material to modify and recreate, they are always there from Icarus as well.

Something that I find amazing is Markus' ability to create not only amazing synths but the most creative presets EVER! Together with Troels I think they are true masters in the art of creating presets.
This is super helpful information. I think you describe the essence of the synths and I think there is such a thing. This is the kind of info I was hoping to find when I was thinking about this poll.

I love the idea of out of this world variations and I think I lean in this direction. Always looking for those to create feeling of places that are unknown of unheard and to me Warlock does something similar. I'm really not looking for a synth to do a certain genre sound but more to not conform to any genre so Icarus is starting to sound ideal for that! Really appreciate you taking the time to explain it in this way!

killmaster wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:51 pm Curious how these compare, or if in fact they can be compared. Looking to spend the time getting to know one in depth.
It would be of much help if you tell us something about you and your workflow. What music style do you make? What synths do you already own? What are you looking for in a new synth?

Cheers

hlecram wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 pm
killmaster wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:51 pm Curious how these compare, or if in fact they can be compared. Looking to spend the time getting to know one in depth.
It would be of much help if you tell us something about you and your workflow. What music style do you make? What synths do you already own? What are you looking for in a new synth?

Cheers
I'm never sure how to answer that question :) I experiment with sounds mostly, then try to make a "song". I don't have a style per se. I am always looking for new sounds with a lot of movement and change in them. My favorite synth lately has been Plasmonic. I use MPE keyboards almost exclusively and I'm always looking for sounds I haven't heard before. I steer away from conventional lead or bass or typical sounds associated with popular music synth sounds. Here are some of my songs but lately I've been branching into more improvisation and atmospheric carnival like music and less studio sequencer tracking approach. I want to be able to perform them live one day. Hope to post some soon. They'll be mostly live performances touched up in a DAW.

some of my older songs I'm branching from are here: https://soundcloud.com/ret-sam-llik

Jazzguitar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 amOn the other hand, Icarus is for me truly a case of absolut originality and although it seems to be a futuristic techno synthesizer, the truth is that I see it as a kind of alien synthesizer capable of creating thousands of out-of-this-world variations instantly and always taking me to fascinating unknown places ready to explore sonically. I love the Morph, detune and supersaw, and re-synthesis power.
I agree with this about Icarus. The only thing is, I don't love the basic sound of the synth. I feel like I have to work a bit to shift it where I want rather than just loving the sound immediately.

I also don't love the GUI. It feels a bit finicky. Icarus is still on my list of must have synths.

Hive and the u-he synths just have an overall polish that Icarus doesn't. From the GUI and resizing, to undo/redo, to the patch browser, Midi support etc. U-he synths are so well rounded and well developed in every aspect. Sometimes I wish a synth I really like were a u-he synth so it would have all the u-he goodness.

killmaster wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:43 pm
hlecram wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 pm

Cheers
I'm never sure how to answer that question :) I experiment with sounds mostly, then try to make a "song". I don't have a style per se. I am always looking for new sounds with a lot of movement and change in them. My favorite synth lately has been Plasmonic. I use MPE keyboards almost exclusively and I'm always looking for sounds I haven't heard before. I steer away from conventional lead or bass or typical sounds associated with popular music synth sounds. Here are some of my songs but lately I've been branching into more improvisation and atmospheric carnival like music and less studio sequencer tracking approach. I want to be able to perform them live one day. Hope to post some soon. They'll be mostly live performances touched up in a DAW.

some of my older songs I'm branching from are here: https://soundcloud.com/ret-sam-llik
from reading that, sounds more like you might want to get in to sample destruction rather than new synths.

ie record with your old synths.
take waves, feed to samplers and destroy!
or look in to granular fx, again for the old synths

new synths won't really yield new sounds, as much as they will create similar sounds in new ways. or be easier on cpu and so on.

Well, both of them offer a quite a palette of sonic possibilities. While none of them has the edge over the other I would prefer something like icarus in your case. It seems a bit more inviting for experimental sound design, at least for me. On top of that, it has the tone2 sound which is a bit more unique imo and I feel you might gain more “new colors” for you experimental palette than hive.
Hive is awesome as well but I see it’s advantages more in the straight forward usability to get a certain task done without messing to much around.

Just as a side note: did you took a look in image lines harmor? It’s also quite experimental and on sale now at some dealers, I think…

Cheers
Marcel

Return to “Instruments”