What are Your Favorite Inexpensive Behringer Synths?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a Poly-D - love it. I use it with this for help with patches https://www.sunnysynths.com/behringer-poly-d

I have a Patcher preset in FL with Midi Out to the Poly-D and an instance of the patch mapper with all the patch settings to view. Easy to save with each project.

Just waiting on the Pro-800 now!

The crave is straight up the Behri ripoff of the Mother 32 I thought.

The DM12 desktop wins for me, also the TD3.

I have a Model D and it sounds great, but I don’t use it much. I got a DFAM for a good price and that sold me on Moog synths. The build quality is so good on them.

I find that desktop synths are cool, but I personally need a keyboard. So I use a keystep with my DM12 and plan to get a moog mono with a keybed so I can play the thing while I dial it in.

A DM12 can do so much though. I think it’s simply great if you are into taking a bread and butter saw or square patch and mangling it with effects. Since that is my style, that’s why i love it. For hardcore sound designers and such they will probably prefer something like an argon8, but I prefer my really complex synths to be in VSTi format.

I have owned both the Neutron and the Pro-1. Both were awesome in their own right. Both sounded incredible. The inability to store patches did get pretty old pretty fast. But its a double-edged sword. The fact you cant save patches meant you had to boldly sit down and explore with it anytime you wanted to switch up the sound. I discovered some very awesome sounds that I otherwise would not have, had I stuck to presets I had already created.

So you have to accept that aspect of them. But yes, they are incredible value for what you get. The Neutron sounded modern and had edge to it. Could go to far crazier places than the Pro-1. The Pro-1 sounded pristine though, and could certainly pull some really interesting sounds if you know how to program it. I ended up selling my Pro-1 to fund the purchase of an IK Uno Pro, so we'll see how we fare with that.

I have a Neutron, a TD-3 and K-2. I prefer the character of the K-2, but love the TD-3. I could see myself let the Neutron go, as I prefer the K-2 for the same purposes. On the Neutron the tuning is a nightmare, there is a short DC burst on the filter attack when set too close, the osc sync is too soft,the PWM feels out of control, the filter knob is too weighty... some things can be modded but it could have been fixed from the beginning.
If I add another one it would be either a Moog (Model D or Poly), or a Cat, for that solid Odyssey-style filter !

Silaris wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:29 am For me, it is the Wasp, K-2, and Cat.
Exactly the same for me. Wasp, K2, Cat. I have a strong hunch that Mrs Krit is getting me the Wasp for birthday in December (after her dropping some heavy hints like "which of these synths do you want the most for your birthday?" - she was going to get me the vocoder, but I told her that was too expensive and I'd save up for it myself). I just couldn't love her more...

Need the vocoder before any of those though. :hihi:

In order of what I own Id go with

Vc340
Pro1
DM12
Model D

Ive got the Td3 but never used it, sold the neutron and have half a system 55 done…kinda not sure why I started it.

The VC has been on everything Ive recorded since I bought it. Id buy the Pro800 and solina if or when theyre released.

kl;;
Last edited by codec_spurt on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My favourite part of the DM 12 is using it as a 2 unison 6 voice, for me thats where it shines…there will be lots you can do with a DM6 but without 12 voices I would nt be interested ymmv

Arturia Keystep
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Swing and a miss

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

My fav is Odyssey because it's the only one I have ;)

On my list is Model D -a must for Techno-alike music ;) and will fill my needs for a mono synth.
Then, hopefully, their next poly synth with 2 or 3 oscillators and LP/HP filter.

Somehow I can't get to like Pro-1, either hardware or Repro, which I recently sold. It's a great-sounding machine, but there's something that I don't like and can't tell what it is.

Totally generalising but I think if your taste in electronic music stems from the first wave of synthpop then the Pro Ones sound is more appealing, not sure about the Model D but when I think of the early electronic dance music I think of 101s or 202s, apart from the obvious acid lines.

kcearl wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:53 pm Totally generalising but I think if your taste in electronic music stems from the first wave of synthpop then the Pro Ones sound is more appealing, not sure about the Model D but when I think of the early electronic dance music I think of 101s or 202s, apart from the obvious acid lines.
It's not that much about the sound. I think I'm deceived by my eyes (GUI, look of the hardware). Although I didn't play with the hardware - this could potentially change my opinion by 180 degrees. But well... UB-Xa maybe instead? :D

hjkl;
Last edited by codec_spurt on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”