Another annoying poll: Hive 2 versus Icarus 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Hive 2 or Icarus 2, which would you choose?

Hive 2
40%
Icarus 2
31%
completely different approaches, get both
30%

Total votes: 121

RELATED
PRODUCTS

killmaster wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:43 pmI'm never sure how to answer that question :) I experiment with sounds mostly, then try to make a "song". I don't have a style per se. I am always looking for new sounds with a lot of movement and change in them. My favorite synth lately has been Plasmonic. I use MPE keyboards almost exclusively and I'm always looking for sounds I haven't heard before. I steer away from conventional lead or bass or typical sounds associated with popular music synth sounds. Here are some of my songs but lately I've been branching into more improvisation and atmospheric carnival like music and less studio sequencer tracking approach. I want to be able to perform them live one day. Hope to post some soon. They'll be mostly live performances touched up in a DAW.
Okay, based on what you are saying here... and listening to a couple of your compositions...

Bazille plus a sampler. I also use hardware for the type of stuff you are talking about. I turn on audio recording and have at it with my Elektron machines and/or eurorack and then cut up stuff from that to play in a sampler (Bitwig's Sampler is what I use) or just use in the timeline. I do the same thing with Bazille as well as play my presets via MPE. The Bazille sound quality is wonderful. It can sound so organic!

I don't find Icarus to have the sound quality that satisfies me for this sorts of stuff. Mostly it always sounds like a synth.

Vital is also fun for sonic exploration. May not be pertinent to you, but Brian confirmed he will release a native Apple Silicon version of Plasmonic.

hlecram wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:13 pm Well, both of them offer a quite a palette of sonic possibilities. While none of them has the edge over the other I would prefer something like icarus in your case. It seems a bit more inviting for experimental sound design, at least for me. On top of that, it has the tone2 sound which is a bit more unique imo and I feel you might gain more “new colors” for you experimental palette than hive.
Hive is awesome as well but I see it’s advantages more in the straight forward usability to get a certain task done without messing to much around.

Just as a side note: did you took a look in image lines harmor? It’s also quite experimental and on sale now at some dealers, I think…

Cheers
Marcel
No, but thanks, I will check out Harmor now!

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:44 pm
killmaster wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:43 pmI'm never sure how to answer that question :) I experiment with sounds mostly, then try to make a "song". I don't have a style per se. I am always looking for new sounds with a lot of movement and change in them. My favorite synth lately has been Plasmonic. I use MPE keyboards almost exclusively and I'm always looking for sounds I haven't heard before. I steer away from conventional lead or bass or typical sounds associated with popular music synth sounds. Here are some of my songs but lately I've been branching into more improvisation and atmospheric carnival like music and less studio sequencer tracking approach. I want to be able to perform them live one day. Hope to post some soon. They'll be mostly live performances touched up in a DAW.
Okay, based on what you are saying here... and listening to a couple of your compositions...

Bazille plus a sampler. I also use hardware for the type of stuff you are talking about. I turn on audio recording and have at it with my Elektron machines and/or eurorack and then cut up stuff from that to play in a sampler (Bitwig's Sampler is what I use) or just use in the timeline. I do the same thing with Bazille as well as play my presets via MPE. The Bazille sound quality is wonderful. It can sound so organic!

I don't find Icarus to have the sound quality that satisfies me for this sorts of stuff. Mostly it always sounds like a synth.

Vital is also fun for sonic exploration. May not be pertinent to you, but Brian confirmed he will release a native Apple Silicon version of Plasmonic.
Thank you! I appreciate this feedback a lot.

killmaster wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:08 pm
FYI, Harmor is discontinued as a VST.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:12 pm
Hmmm, looks like plugin boutique is selling it. but, it's Windows only and I'm on mac.

killmaster wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:24 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:12 pm
Hmmm, looks like plugin boutique is selling it. but, it's Windows only and I'm on mac.
Yeah, there was a Mac beta, but it never fully came to fruition. Now it is discontinued (on windows too).

Rapid.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

killmaster wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:37 am
Jazzguitar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 am First of all, the comparison of both synthesizers, as well as many others, is at least just annoying, but what is difficult is to decide. I have both, and each has unique characteristics that make me feel fortunate to have both.

I think HIVE brings together the incredible wisdom and experience of u-he, plus the super sleek and intelligent HIVE synthesis engine, I'm very impressed by the XY pads real time control possibilities. The BIG preset library factory and from thirds, the extensive modulation and control matrix, the simple and effective handling of WT and the overall control of all the advanced features.

I like HIVE versatility, because despite being labeled as a digital factory for contemporary EDM, electronic, hard trends etc, it has an impressive power to synthesize almost any sound imaginable. HIVE also has very clear boundaries with DIVA and ZEBRA, and that makes it unique.

On the other hand, Icarus is for me truly a case of absolut originality and although it seems to be a futuristic techno synthesizer, the truth is that I see it as a kind of alien synthesizer capable of creating thousands of out-of-this-world variations instantly and always taking me to fascinating unknown places ready to explore sonically. I love the Morph, detune and supersaw, and re-synthesis power.

But if I need an everyday pad, a bass, piano, a lead, arps, and even drums, or those robotic voices that are amazing raw material to modify and recreate, they are always there from Icarus as well.

Something that I find amazing is Markus' ability to create not only amazing synths but the most creative presets EVER! Together with Troels I think they are true masters in the art of creating presets.
This is super helpful information. I think you describe the essence of the synths and I think there is such a thing. This is the kind of info I was hoping to find when I was thinking about this poll.

I love the idea of out of this world variations and I think I lean in this direction. Always looking for those to create feeling of places that are unknown of unheard and to me Warlock does something similar. I'm really not looking for a synth to do a certain genre sound but more to not conform to any genre so Icarus is starting to sound ideal for that! Really appreciate you taking the time to explain it in this way!
You're welcome, I like the direction this topic is taking. I can feel a nice energy from you and everyone.

About Warlock I must say that I love it! Someone told me that if I had Icarus I wouldn't need Warlock, but I think it's just another sample of Markus' genius in making synthesizers.

While it's true that comparing it to Icarus is like comparing cars to motorcycles, I think Icarus is like those big espresso machines and Warlock is that little but reliable office coffee maker, both taste like that great coffee that is always welcomed.

BTW, I heard your music in SC, just amazing! I had to use a VPN, sadly in my country soundcloud is censored and blocked by the dictatorship. I have left a couple of comments in your themes.
Session guitarist and music producer from Venezuela
One of my old demos: (Scarbee and Overloud)
https://bit.ly/3mDq0D3

Jazzguitar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:42 pm
Jazzguitar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 am First of all, the comparison of both synthesizers, as well as many others, is at least just annoying, but what is difficult is to decide. I have both, and each has unique characteristics that make me feel fortunate to have both.

I think HIVE brings together the incredible wisdom and experience of u-he, plus the super sleek and intelligent HIVE synthesis engine, I'm very impressed by the XY pads real time control possibilities. The BIG preset library factory and from thirds, the extensive modulation and control matrix, the simple and effective handling of WT and the overall control of all the advanced features.

I like HIVE versatility, because despite being labeled as a digital factory for contemporary EDM, electronic, hard trends etc, it has an impressive power to synthesize almost any sound imaginable. HIVE also has very clear boundaries with DIVA and ZEBRA, and that makes it unique.

On the other hand, Icarus is for me truly a case of absolut originality and although it seems to be a futuristic techno synthesizer, the truth is that I see it as a kind of alien synthesizer capable of creating thousands of out-of-this-world variations instantly and always taking me to fascinating unknown places ready to explore sonically. I love the Morph, detune and supersaw, and re-synthesis power.

But if I need an everyday pad, a bass, piano, a lead, arps, and even drums, or those robotic voices that are amazing raw material to modify and recreate, they are always there from Icarus as well.

Something that I find amazing is Markus' ability to create not only amazing synths but the most creative presets EVER! Together with Troels I think they are true masters in the art of creating presets.
This is super helpful information. I think you describe the essence of the synths and I think there is such a thing. This is the kind of info I was hoping to find when I was thinking about this poll.

I love the idea of out of this world variations and I think I lean in this direction. Always looking for those to create feeling of places that are unknown of unheard and to me Warlock does something similar. I'm really not looking for a synth to do a certain genre sound but more to not conform to any genre so Icarus is starting to sound ideal for that! Really appreciate you taking the time to explain it in this way!
You're welcome, I like the direction this topic is taking. I can feel a nice energy from you and everyone.

About Warlock I must say that I love it! Someone told me that if I had Icarus I wouldn't need Warlock, but I think it's just another sample of Markus' genius in making synthesizers.

While it's true that comparing it to Icarus is like comparing cars to motorcycles, I think Icarus is like those big espresso machines and Warlock is that little but reliable office coffee maker, both taste like that great coffee that is always welcomed.

BTW, I heard your music in SC, just amazing! I had to use a VPN, sadly in my country soundcloud is censored and blocked by the dictatorship. I have left a couple of comments in your themes.
Thank you! I very much appreciate your comments on my music! I'm so interested to know how they affect others. I Listened to many of your pieces and if you are the one playing guitar, I was stunned! So many different styles with equal soulfulness and nuance. And great musical use of wah wah too! You are a virtuoso!

I also appreciate the Warlock vs. Icarus distinction! Warlock has so much potential, I think I may focus on that for a bit.

I can't comment on Hive as i've never used it, but Icarus 2 is an absolute powerhouse.

But i've been looking at synths for a different genre than I normally do, and Hive gets a lot of love, so I may well look at demo'ing it and checking it out.

Its kinda Avenger vs Hive vs Dune 3 vs Spire atm.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

killmaster wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:36 pm
I also appreciate the Warlock vs. Icarus distinction! Warlock has so much potential, I think I may focus on that for a bit.
I think Warlock may be a hidden secret. If you can recall Tone 2's Firebird, it was never updated to 64-bit, and was released for free.

But Warlock includes the native Firebird Patch banks! So it apparently includes the old Firebird synth engine!

It may not have the fancy GUI that many other Tone2 synths have, but give me those sounds any day! :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Jazzguitar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 am
Thank you! I very much appreciate your comments on my music! I'm so interested to know how they affect others. I Listened to many of your pieces and if you are the one playing guitar, I was stunned! So many different styles with equal soulfulness and nuance. And great musical use of wah wah too! You are a virtuoso!

I find your music very descriptive in cinematic terms, it is an interesting and above all very personal and effective way of using synthesizers.

Yes, I am the real guitarist there in my souncloud :hihi: thank you very much!

As an educator and producer my premise is to be as versatile as possible and not to limit myself in one direction or style.

I am available to record my guitars professionally in any project and style. My profile or pm me for more info.

Ah yes, you won't regret with Warlock!
Session guitarist and music producer from Venezuela
One of my old demos: (Scarbee and Overloud)
https://bit.ly/3mDq0D3

Jazzguitar wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:23 pm
Jazzguitar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 am

I find your music very descriptive in cinematic terms, it is an interesting and above all very personal and effective way of using synthesizers.

Yes, I am the real guitarist there in my souncloud :hihi: thank you very much!

As an educator and producer my premise is to be as versatile as possible and not to limit myself in one direction or style.

I am available to record my guitars professionally in any project and style. My profile or pm me for more info.

Ah yes, you won't regret with Warlock!
I particularly appreciate your comments cause they say what I hope to get across with my work. The whole thing really started for me on one of Brian Eno's albums where he composed songs that seemed native to synthesizers but with tremendous variety. I think it was Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy. Your comments were supportive and inspiring as a result and then I listened to your playing and felt like giving up! :) But it's a good thing cause it pushes me to want to be a better instrumentalist!

I am really awestruck that you can go from one style to another so convincingly. I could swear I'm hearing BB, Hendrix, Santana, Rory Gallagher etc. as I switched tracks but all with your unique personal fingering style. At times you reminded me of one of my very favorite guitarists Larry Carlton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giRayK4fQkg

I've been playing all evening with Warlock. OMG, it is truly unique and creamy and round. I love it so much. Spent time beating my head against the wall trying to figure out the patch system though and I think I finally figured it out. I guess once your figure out how to make your own banks, it's all ok. The randomization feature seems so successful in creating usable starting patches! I hope it turns MPE one day.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:44 pm

What you describe here is kinda what I did in one of my songs. I recorded a very short bleepy blip sound from a Rick Scott Reaktor ensemble and then stretched it about 100X on the timeline in Bitwig and that became the main track that all the other tracks played off of. I should try doing this again cause it really made it quick and easy to make the foundation for the track. At times it seemed to run out of samples and stared sounding grainy maybe because of some sample interpolation or something with the stretching processing. But I thought it sounded amazing. Not always so lucky. You can hear the sound in this song at the very beginning. Kind of a deep droning pitch sliding sound that runs throughout the whole thing. https://soundcloud.com/ret-sam-llik/sehnstucht-1

Looking forward to trying some things with Bazille now after you mention it here. Can wait to get into it and see what Bazille sounds like! (I do own it, but have not used it much only for lack of feeling like I needed to have a better handle on modular patching etc...)

I really like the Tone2 products.

Return to “Instruments”