Why do I seem to like free synths better ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

excuse me please wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:03 pm I don't understand why there is a discussion. There was a time when orchestras were popular, a time where "supergroups" were popular. The first supergroup was a "power trio." Cream. A drummer, a guitar player and a bass player.
So it's all relative, I suppose.
How on earth did three blokes manage to make a world best selling album with a strat guitar, a bass guitar, and a set of drums ?

The ironic thing is that in twenty years time the synths of today will be deemed not worthy of using by those in the know. Not good enough for professional work. Or it could go the other way and free simple synths will be the only real way to make music. Paid stuff is so yesterday 8)

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:22 pm
The ironic thing is that in twenty years time the synths of today will be deemed not worthy of using by those in the know.
who might they be?

Synth1 got a new update today. Mac OS only. ;)

Working hard to keep it working on the bleeding edge OS, it seems...

AnX wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:56 pm
The ironic thing is that in twenty years time the synths of today will be deemed not worthy of using by those in the know.
who might they be?
tony, from ilford.

who might they be?
The supergroup that the previous poster to me mentioned. Cream. You know, da-da-do-don-do-dondon- do- wah - wah.............its getting near dark.......

never heard of them

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:08 pm
who might they be?
The supergroup that the previous poster to me mentioned. Cream. You know, da-da-do-don-do-dondon- do- wah - wah.............its getting near dark.......
at least one of them already has little to say on most subjects
the other 2 probably won't last another 20 years, not everyone is kief richards, and if they are, i imagine they'll be a bit senile

AnX wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:18 pm never heard of them

cream? they were in pil.

vurt wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:21 pm
at least one of them already has little to say on most subjects
the other 2 probably won't last another 20 years, not everyone is kief richards, and if they are, i imagine they'll be a bit senile
In a few years the main news will be the worlds oldest man Keith Richards died today at the age of 117.

Cream is now just a one man super group. Eric is still pretty good though on his tod.

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:07 pm In a few years the main news will be the worlds oldest man Keith Richards died today at the age of 117.
never!
all these years of injecting genes from the immortal jellyfish have made him immortal!!!!

That's because they insisted on only using free synths.

If they had used paid synths they would have got famous.

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:12 pm
That's because they insisted on only using free synths.
If they had used paid synths they would have got famous.
You too will join Cream in oblivion if you continue your free-synth-lovin' ways....
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:31 pm
You too will join Cream in oblivion if you continue your free-synth-lovin' ways....
I do have paid synths you know.

I spent a couple of hours sampling with Kontakt 6 today. I also I had a play with Reaktor 6. I have many other paid for synths, not forgetting all the ones in Cubase Pro and Studio One Pro. But lots of the stuff I have bought over the years did not get used and is not even installed. The only synth that I would like at the moment is u-he Repro. I missed it in the last sale.

And I spent some time today deciding whether it was worth upgrading from Komplete 12 to 13. But the only new thing in there I am interested in is Super 8 and I could not find a demo anywhere.

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:16 pm
Michael L wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:31 pm
I do have paid synths you know.

I spent a couple of hours sampling with Kontakt 6 today. I also I had a play with Reaktor 6. I have many other paid for synths, not forgetting all the ones in Cubase Pro and Studio One Pro. But lots of the stuff I have bought over the years did not get used and is not even installed. The only synth that I would like at the moment is u-he Repro. I missed it in the last sale.

And I spent some time today deciding whether it was worth upgrading from Komplete 12 to 13. But the only new thing in there I am interested in is Super 8 and I could not find a demo anywhere.
Nope no demo anymore for Super 8. Nice synth tho. I had also considered the 12 to 13 upgrade but there was little of interest in there as I already owned Super 8 and Noire, both of which i got dirt cheap during one of the 50% off sales. Komplete 12 already has a ton of stuff I’ll never use ;)

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:13 am
BONES wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:23 am
That said, the way you can recall presets for so many components in Thorn makes it very easy to take a few disparate elements and come up with something totally new. In that regard I find it quite unique among the bigger, more complex synths, and uniquely inspiring. That you can regularly get it for $29 at PA is almost an insult to what the thing has to offer.
Wow, thanks for mentioning "Thorn" !

I have never used it, but the name triggered a memory, and I dug out an old Computer Music CD, and, sure enough, there is a free CM version on there.

The first pre-set I tried blew me away, "Pad Brass". I turned off the fx and it still sounded great. All the other pre-sets do not disappoint either.

The sound of this synth is not dissimilar to the paid synth "Spire" that I tried out the other day - but free. Great find.
And just like that Thorn is on sale along with Oberhausen and Knifonium over at Plug-in Alliance:

$19.99 for Thorn with codes SUMMER21-THORN and SUMMER-SALE-20OFF

Return to “Instruments”