PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRer
1 posts since 18 Sep, 2016

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:58 am

Hi, running v2.0.13 and the latest version of Cakewalk by Bandlab but I seem to be getting very repeatable hanging / freezing of Cakewalk and PG-8X. This happens on both my Laptop and my Desktop Machine so definitely seems like a Cakewalk / PG-8X issue, anyone else got problems?

KVRAF
3793 posts since 21 Mar, 2020 from Gothenburg, Sweden

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:05 am

spiffo wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:58 am
Hi, running v2.0.13 and the latest version of Cakewalk by Bandlab but I seem to be getting very repeatable hanging / freezing of Cakewalk and PG-8X. This happens on both my Laptop and my Desktop Machine so definitely seems like a Cakewalk / PG-8X issue, anyone else got problems?
I haven't had any problems myself using Cakewalk and PG-8X on Win7 64 bit.
Sad about tomorrow
Sorry, but it's not my fault

User avatar
KVRer
1 posts since 12 Jan, 2016 from Brazil

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:10 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Do you mean those?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hiw46rt9sig7u ... s.syx?dl=0 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/hiw46rt9sig7udi/presets.syx?dl=0)

Cheers,
Martin
[/quote]

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :love:

User avatar
KVRAF
1992 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:33 am

spiffo wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:58 am
Hi, running v2.0.13 and the latest version of Cakewalk by Bandlab but I seem to be getting very repeatable hanging / freezing of Cakewalk and PG-8X. This happens on both my Laptop and my Desktop Machine so definitely seems like a Cakewalk / PG-8X issue, anyone else got problems?
No problems here with it in several projects -- sometimes several instances in the same project! Win7 and latest CbB.

If you're using the 64-bit version of PG-8X, try the 32-bit one (or vice-versa), if there is still a 32-bit one.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

User avatar
KVRAF
3254 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:44 pm

I think the "pulse" wave sounds odd. it has no body, as if sent through a HP filter. Even at 80:20 or so there should be bass in the signal. Nor is there a way to change the pulse width, right?

In the aftertouch section, he should set the pitch bend and portamento controls apart from the three AT sliders, i.e. further down, there is a lot of space left. Currently it looks like pitch bend and portamento are part of the aftertouch controls.

User avatar
KVRAF
6342 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:26 pm

No, no way to do pwm on pg8x
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

User avatar
KVRAF
1992 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:26 pm
No, no way to do pwm on pg8x
No way to do it on the Roland JX-8P either -- not "natively", anyway. I'm not sure what your point is here.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

User avatar
KVRAF
6342 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:47 pm

planetearth wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:57 pm
Halonmusic wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:26 pm
No, no way to do pwm on pg8x
No way to do it on the Roland JX-8P either -- not "natively", anyway. I'm not sure what your point is here.

Steve
i know. you can 'fake' pwm using cross mod, inverted env mod etc.
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

User avatar
KVRAF
21707 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:49 pm

XpanderDude wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:33 am
Just curious - if this is going open source, how hard would it be for someone with a Reason rack extension SDK to get this into RE form?
Reason SDK is very much closed source, so not gonna happen.

KVRist
38 posts since 14 Nov, 2017

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:44 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:49 pm
Reason SDK is very much closed source, so not gonna happen.
They made the Reason SDK open source not that long ago.
But you need a special Reason DAW called ReCon to run your creations during development, so for that, and to get them in the shop, you need to set up developer account. But you can sell items for zero dollars, so it is technically possible to make free open source RackExtensions.

User avatar
KVRAF
6342 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:21 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:49 pm
XpanderDude wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:33 am
Just curious - if this is going open source, how hard would it be for someone with a Reason rack extension SDK to get this into RE form?
Reason SDK is very much closed source, so not gonna happen.
How so? This is Martin\s baby, not yours.
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

User avatar
KVRAF
21707 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:35 pm

RikkShow wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:44 pm
They made the Reason SDK open source not that long ago.
Under which license? If it's not GPL3 or MIT (and I am close to 100% certain it's not MIT), it won't work with a VST3+JUCE combo, which for free plugins means it can only be GPL3. Unless things are dual licensed similarly to Vital or VCV...

EDIT: https://developer.reasonstudios.com/agr ... -agreement

"Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this license agreement, you may not use the Rack Extension SDK (or parts thereof) in conjunction with any open source software, free software or other software that risk creating an obligation to distribute or publish the Developer Kit (including any part thereof) or any software used together with the Rack Extension SDK to any third party."


So that's that. GPL3 requires publishing the whole source code. Reason SDK is obviously disallowing such actions.


tl;dr - being made free to download for exploring and using does not equate open source.

Halonmusic wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:21 pm
How so? This is Martin\s baby, not yours.
I'm just stating facts. Martin expressed a wish to make PG-8X open source because he doesn't have enough time to maintain the codebase. He was in talks with Surge Synth Team about licensing options and so on. He's still not reached a decision, but the wish to open-source PG-8X stays.

And then you have the license of Reason SDK reading as above. It's a clear no go in case of open-sourcing PG-8X.

User avatar
KVRAF
6342 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:05 am

oh i see. didnt know about the open source thing
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRist
41 posts since 8 Oct, 2016

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:06 pm

neither did i. is this a case where reason studios doesn't want people to profit off of open source software? interesting, to say the least.

User avatar
KVRAF
21707 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:37 am

They just don't want their SDK to be redistributed, which is an obligation under GPL3.

Return to “Instruments”