Why do I seem to like free synths better ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
5829 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:54 pm

dellboy wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:22 am
excuse me please wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:03 am
I don't understand why there is a discussion. There was a time when orchestras were popular, a time where "supergroups" were popular. The first supergroup was a "power trio." Cream. A drummer, a guitar player and a bass player.
So it's all relative, I suppose.
How on earth did three blokes manage to make a world best selling album with a strat guitar, a bass guitar, and a set of drums ?

The ironic thing is that in twenty years time the synths of today will be deemed not worthy of using by those in the know. Not good enough for professional work. Or it could go the other way and free simple synths will be the only real way to make music. Paid stuff is so yesterday 8)
They made it by inventing the marketing term “supergroup”.
The real three member supergroup was Emerson, Lake and Palmer. As far as I remember they sounded like an orchestra and didn’t use a free synth but the most expensive one of the world. Emerson even wrote concertos for orchestra later.
And a Moog modular will never be deemed to be not worthy ever…
Why do I like paid orchestras better than unpaid ones? I once sang in an unpaid choir, back then we where better than paid choirs, but choirs ain’t no orchestras and orchestras ain’t no synthesizers. Conclusion: its a matter of taste and skills not of price…
Last edited by Tj Shredder on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnX
KVRAF
9593 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:57 pm

what about "paid synths" that ppl get for free..... how does that affect the music?

KVRian
1434 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:36 pm

Tj Shredder wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:54 pm
dellboy wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:22 am
excuse me please wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:03 am
I don't understand why there is a discussion. There was a time when orchestras were popular, a time where "supergroups" were popular. The first supergroup was a "power trio." Cream. A drummer, a guitar player and a bass player.
So it's all relative, I suppose.
How on earth did three blokes manage to make a world best selling album with a strat guitar, a bass guitar, and a set of drums ?

The ironic thing is that in twenty years time the synths of today will be deemed not worthy of using by those in the know. Not good enough for professional work. Or it could go the other way and free simple synths will be the only real way to make music. Paid stuff is so yesterday 8)
They made it by inventing the marketing term “supergroup”.
The real three member supergroup was Emerson, Lake and Palmer. As far as I remember they sounded like an orchestra and didn’t use a free synth but the most expensive one of the world. Emerson even wrote concertos for orchestra later.
Why do I like paid orchestras better than unpaid ones? I once sang in an unpaid choir, back then we where better than paid choirs, but choirs ain’t no orchestras and orchestras ain’t no synthesizers. Conclusion: its a matter of taste and skills not of price…
Oh, I see what you did there. But the real supergroup is The Police! :D

AnX
KVRAF
9593 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:42 pm

supertramp?
supergrass?
super furry animals?

KVRAF
2110 posts since 8 Dec, 2008 from Global Cowboy

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:59 pm

Super grass = Humboldt County :)
No auto tune and iLok free...

KVRian
1434 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:42 pm

KVRAF
5829 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:54 am

excuse me please wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:36 pm
Way later and no synths… They are all ungrouped finally anyway…

GRRRRRRR!
11883 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:08 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:54 pm
I've always considered it not worthy.
excuse me please wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:42 pm
Word salad. Back to topic:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RmuiAuDmB_g
That's not Word Salad, this is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLnOK2SZnfA
(Actually, It's not Word Salad, it's Nice To Know, but it's off the album Word Salad.)
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | JP6K, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Knifonium, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon, Invader, Concept | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRian
1290 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:26 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:54 am
excuse me please wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:36 pm
Way later and no synths… They are all ungrouped finally anyway…
plus the three members weren't "known" before they formed The Police.

KVRian

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:26 am

AnX wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:57 pm
what about "paid synths" that ppl get for free..... how does that affect the music?
good question. :hihi:

GRRRRRRR!

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:29 pm

JamminFool wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:26 am
Well, not really. Andy Summers is a lot older than the other two and he'd been in a few notable bands in the '60s, like Soft Machine, Traffic and even The Animals.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | JP6K, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Knifonium, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon, Invader, Concept | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRian

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:34 pm

BONES wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:29 pm
JamminFool wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:26 am
Well, not really. Andy Summers is a lot older than the other two and he'd been in a few notable bands in the '60s, like Soft Machine, Traffic and even The Animals.
fair enough (did not know that), but usually the term supergroup was applied when all the members were considered "stars" individually from previous work. so although i loved The Police, I have never considered them a supergroup.

GRRRRRRR!

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:54 pm

No, that they are not. Power Station and The Armoury Show were 80s super-groups but I wouldn't even qualify a band like Visage as a super-group. To qualify I think the members have to still be part of the group for which they were already known, not just former members. That of course, means super-groups are pretty much always part-time gigs.

Return to “Instruments”