Why do I seem to like free synths better ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:22 pm
excuse me please wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:03 pm I don't understand why there is a discussion. There was a time when orchestras were popular, a time where "supergroups" were popular. The first supergroup was a "power trio." Cream. A drummer, a guitar player and a bass player.
So it's all relative, I suppose.
How on earth did three blokes manage to make a world best selling album with a strat guitar, a bass guitar, and a set of drums ?

The ironic thing is that in twenty years time the synths of today will be deemed not worthy of using by those in the know. Not good enough for professional work. Or it could go the other way and free simple synths will be the only real way to make music. Paid stuff is so yesterday 8)
They made it by inventing the marketing term “supergroup”.
The real three member supergroup was Emerson, Lake and Palmer. As far as I remember they sounded like an orchestra and didn’t use a free synth but the most expensive one of the world. Emerson even wrote concertos for orchestra later.
And a Moog modular will never be deemed to be not worthy ever…
Why do I like paid orchestras better than unpaid ones? I once sang in an unpaid choir, back then we where better than paid choirs, but choirs ain’t no orchestras and orchestras ain’t no synthesizers. Conclusion: its a matter of taste and skills not of price…
Last edited by Tj Shredder on Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

what about "paid synths" that ppl get for free..... how does that affect the music?

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:54 am
dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:22 pm
excuse me please wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:03 pm I don't understand why there is a discussion. There was a time when orchestras were popular, a time where "supergroups" were popular. The first supergroup was a "power trio." Cream. A drummer, a guitar player and a bass player.
So it's all relative, I suppose.
How on earth did three blokes manage to make a world best selling album with a strat guitar, a bass guitar, and a set of drums ?

The ironic thing is that in twenty years time the synths of today will be deemed not worthy of using by those in the know. Not good enough for professional work. Or it could go the other way and free simple synths will be the only real way to make music. Paid stuff is so yesterday 8)
They made it by inventing the marketing term “supergroup”.
The real three member supergroup was Emerson, Lake and Palmer. As far as I remember they sounded like an orchestra and didn’t use a free synth but the most expensive one of the world. Emerson even wrote concertos for orchestra later.
And a Moog modular will never be deemed to be not worthy ever…
Why do I like paid orchestras better than unpaid ones? I once sang in an unpaid choir, back then we where better than paid choirs, but choirs ain’t no orchestras and orchestras ain’t no synthesizers. Conclusion: its a matter of taste and skills not of price…
Oh, I see what you did there. But the real supergroup is The Police! :D

supertramp?
supergrass?
super furry animals?

Super grass = Humboldt County :)
No auto tune...

excuse me please wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:36 am Oh, I see what you did there. But the real supergroup is The Police! :D
Way later and no synths… They are all ungrouped finally anyway…

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:54 amAnd a Moog modular will never be deemed to be not worthy ever…
I've always considered it not worthy.
excuse me please wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:42 am Word salad. Back to topic:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RmuiAuDmB_g
That's not Word Salad, this is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLnOK2SZnfA
(Actually, It's not Word Salad, it's Nice To Know, but it's off the album Word Salad.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:54 am
excuse me please wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:36 am Oh, I see what you did there. But the real supergroup is The Police! :D
Way later and no synths… They are all ungrouped finally anyway…
plus the three members weren't "known" before they formed The Police.

AnX wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:57 am what about "paid synths" that ppl get for free..... how does that affect the music?
good question. :hihi:

JamminFool wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:26 amplus the three members weren't "known" before they formed The Police.
Well, not really. Andy Summers is a lot older than the other two and he'd been in a few notable bands in the '60s, like Soft Machine, Traffic and even The Animals.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:29 am
JamminFool wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:26 amplus the three members weren't "known" before they formed The Police.
Well, not really. Andy Summers is a lot older than the other two and he'd been in a few notable bands in the '60s, like Soft Machine, Traffic and even The Animals.
fair enough (did not know that), but usually the term supergroup was applied when all the members were considered "stars" individually from previous work. so although i loved The Police, I have never considered them a supergroup.

No, that they are not. Power Station and The Armoury Show were 80s super-groups but I wouldn't even qualify a band like Visage as a super-group. To qualify I think the members have to still be part of the group for which they were already known, not just former members. That of course, means super-groups are pretty much always part-time gigs.

dellboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:15 pm I just seem to feel more at home with free and very cheap stuff. Strange - eh ?
Am I the only one ?
Freeware items use to be simple, fast to load, easy to program, easy to move from one computer to another, don't spawn license advices, don't require you to upgrade, etc... all these contribute for the peace of mind anyone needs to create music, but when you pay for something you get the extra motivation of getting an exclusive thing. All these balances the feelings.
At last you're trying to do music and you can use anything.

AnX wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:42 am supertramp?
supergrass?
super furry animals?
at least one of those are great and own (ed) a tank.

Return to “Instruments”